The Full Wiki

More info on Sulphur Springs, Texas

Sulphur Springs, Texas: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Sulphur Springs is a city in Hopkins Countymarker, Texasmarker, in the United Statesmarker. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 14,551. It is the county seat of Hopkins Countymarker .

Geography

Sulphur Springs is located at (33.134064, -95.601965) .

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 21.0 square miles (54.5 km²), of which, 17.9 square miles (46.3 km²) of it is land and 3.2 square miles (8.2 km²) of it (15.11%) is water.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 14,551 people, 5,780 households, and 3,855 families residing in the city. The population density was 814.8 people per square mile (314.6/km²). There were 6,492 housing units at an average density of 363.5/sq mi (140.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 79.51% White, 14.27% African American, 0.69% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 3.69% from other races, and 1.37% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.19% of the population.

There were 5,780 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.0% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.3% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.02 people.

In the city the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 20.9% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 88.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.4 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $30,403, and the median income for a family was $36,802. Males had a median income of $29,559 versus $21,179 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,662. About 12.6% of families and 16.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.5% of those under age 18 and 14.3% of those age 65 or over.

History

Sulphur Springs derives its modern name from the fact that when the area was first settled, springs of sulphur water were abundant. Before the first settlers arrived, local Native American tribes often used the areas around the springs as their home. When the settlers began arriving, they, too, used the springs as their camping grounds.



A man by the name of Eli Bib, one of the first settlers, ran a store from his cabin that sold staples, whiskey, persimmon beer, and slabs of ginger cake. In 1849, Dr. and Mrs. Davis moved into the area. Dr. Davis envisioned the spot as a future city.

In 1850 the residents organized the area's first church, the Methodist Episcopal. Construction of the church was completed in 1853. In 1852, the Presbyterian Church was organized. At this point in time, the population of the village was 441. In order to serve the growing group of people, commodities began to be brought in from nearby Jefferson and new stores began to spring up.

The village became a city in 1854 when the first post office was established. The city's name was originally Bright Star. Mail to and from the city was delivered by the Pony Express.

On May 18, 1871, the county seat of Hopkins countymarker was moved from Tarrant to Sulphur Springs. The name "Bright Star" was removed from the postal directory.

The exact date of the first government's formation is unknown, but one of the first to hold the mayor's office was William A. Wortham. In 1854, Wortham bought the Texas Star press and moved to Sulphur Springs where he, his brother-in-law, and Bill Davis established the city's first newspaper.

The Echo Publishing Company was founded in 1897. It was the first steam-powered press in Sulphur Springs. After the first plant was lost to a fire, a new plant was constructed which used gasoline as fuel. In 1884 the Sulphur Springs Enterprise was founded. In the same year, leading exponent of Populism James Harvey "Cyclone" Davis founded the Alliance Vindicator, which was published until 1901. John S. Bagwell bought the Hopkins County Echo in 1916. In 1924, the Texas Star was merged into the Daily News Telegram. The Daily News Telegram changed its name first to the Daily Gazette and later to the Weekly Gazette. Eventually all these newspapers were merged into the Sulphur Springs News Telegram and the Hopkins County Echo, both of which still exist.

Ten acres (40,000 m²) of land were set aside for the Bright Star University in 1857. The Sulphur Springs District Conference High School began in 1877, established on the Bright Star University land on College Street. In December 1882, the school became known as Central College. It was owned by the Method Episcopal Church. It was later renamed Eastman College and Conservatory of Music and Art under a new charter. Before the year 1900 the college burned and Professor Eastman left the area.



The First National Bank of Sulphur Springs was nationalized in 1855. It is now known as City National Bank.

In 1857 the area's first steam-powered factory was established by the Bell brothers. In the same year, the Morro Castle was built on North Street. Its builders remain unknown.

C. Denton was elected to lead the new city government, which was incorporated. During the Civil War, the town had to be incorporated again.

In 1868, Union troops moved into Sulphur Springs and stayed for a period of two years. Upon their departure and the end of the military regime, A. J. Bridges became mayor of the new city government.

A railroad line was extended from Mineola in 1872. Settlers were drawn by tales of the healing powers of the city's sulphur baths. Due to population growth, the springs of sulphur were gradually covered and none remain active today. A rail was run from Jefferson to Sulphur Springs in 1879.

An ice plant was built in 1887. The city's courthouse, which still exists today, was constructed in 1895. In 1904, well were dug to supply the city with water. In the same year, a long distance telephone line was run to nearby Greenvillemarker. In 1889, the City National Bank was organized.

After World War II a new government was founded. With the inception of this new government, many new programs were started and the city grew until the population rose to be approximately 15,000.

The dairy industry is a major component of the local economy; Sulphur Springs is home to the Southwest Dairy Museummarker which features artifacts on the history of the dairy industry.

Transportation

Sulphur Springs served by the following highways that run through the city:



The city is also served by a municipal airportmarker. Railroad Service is provided by the Kansas City Southern Railroad and the shortline Blacklands Railroad is based in Sulphur Springs.

Education

The City of Sulphur Springs is served by the Sulphur Springs Independent School District.

Notable people from Sulphur Springs

Notable people from the town include:

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message