Summerfields was a boys'
preparatory school in the
Leonards-on-Sea area of Hastings, East Sussex.
It occupied the buildings previously known
as Bohemia House.
Bohemia House was built about 1818, and occupied the site of the
former Bohemia Farm, which has given its name to Bohemia Road, and
the whole area known as Bohemia. The first owner was G N
Collingwood, a son-in-law of Admiral
, and Princess Sophia of Gloucester
stayed there during the summer of 1830. In 1903 the house was
leased by Dr C H Williams, headmaster of Summer Fields
School, Oxford, and the
name was changed accordingly.
The school was known as
"Summers mi" and during World War II
was relocated to Summer Fields in Oxford.
Summerfields alumni include Prince
Ranier of Monaco.
The school closed in 1966 and the site was bought by Hastings
Borough Council. The house was demolished in 1972.
Part of the site was used for the new
police station and fire brigade headquarters, and the name is now
perpetuated by an hotel.
Note that the school is in Hastings, however for postal purposes
'Hastings' may not be included in the address.
- John Manwaring Baines FSA, Historic Hastings. F J
Parsons Ltd, Hastings, 1955 and 1963, Page 293.