Sutton is the principal town
in the London
Borough of Sutton. It is situated 10.6 miles (17 km)
south-southwest of Charing
It is one of the major metropolitan centres
identified in the London Plan
settlements include Belmont, Carshalton, Cheam, Banstead, St.
Helier, Wallington and Worcester Park.
one of several towns located on a narrow bed of Thanet sands which
extends from Croydon in the east,
to Epsom in the
To the south of this belt is chalk
of the North Downs, and to the north is clay
. The belt of Thanet sands allowed wells to provide
clean water, whereas the clay to the north mostly offered surface
water of unsuitable quality. This feature attracted settlements to
the sand belt from a very early date. The most notable of
these were Epsom, Ewell, Cuddington, Cheam, Sutton, Carshalton, Wallington, and
When the Saxons
were settling England, their
preferred method was to divide the country into square parishes
centred around the church
and village, with cultivated fields around these, and
common grazing ground on the outside. The settlements that had
squeezed onto the belt of Thanet Sands were too close together to
allow for this arrangement, so the parishes in this area were made
long and narrow, with the church, manor and village still the
centre, but with cultivated fields next to these, and common
grazing ground beyond. Consequently, Sutton's parish is about three
miles (5 km) long, and about a mile wide.
Archaeological finds in the region date back
over ten thousand years, but the first substantial evidence of
habitation comes from the excavation of a Roman villa in Beddington.
The Roman road of Stane Street
forms part of the northern
boundary of the parish of Sutton. The course of Stane Street
through the area is now followed by the modern roads Stonecot Hill
and London Road, and designated A24
on road maps.
recorded as Sudtone in a charter of Chertsey Abbey believed to have been drawn up in the late
seventh-century when the Manor was granted to the Abbot of Chertsey by Frithwald, Governor of Surrey.
sources state the early name as Suthtone or Sudtana instead. Other
place names that appear in this charter are Bedintone, Cegeham
(Cheam), and Aeweltone (Carshalton).
The area lay within the Anglo-Saxon
administrative division of Wallington hundred
The name Sutton is often assumed to have meant "south town", but
Sudtone probably meant "south enclosure", from the Anglo-Saxon
"ton" for enclosure. In
Surrey, an early enclosure was usually a farm, and in Sutton it
most likely refers to Oldfields farm, which lay on the southern
slope from Rose Hill to the Angel. It was a "south" enclosure
because it lay south of the Roman road Stane Street.
William The Conqueror's
of 1086 assesses
In the time of King
Edward it was assessed at 30 hides;
now at 8½ hides. There are 2 carucates in
the demesne, and 29 villains and 4 cottars with 13
carucates. There are 2 churches, and 2 bondmen, and of meadow. The
wood yields 10 swine. In the time of King Edward it was valued at
20 pounds, now at 15 pounds.
The Domesday Book also states that the Abbot of Chertsey held the
Manor. This remained so until 1538 when the Manor
was sold to King Henry VIII,
along with the manors of Ebisham (Epsom), Coulsdon, and Horley.
were all then granted to Sir Nicholas Carew
Beddington in that same year. When Sir Nicholas was sentenced to
death for treason, the King seized the manors, and they remained
possessions of the Crown until King
granted part of them to Thomas, Lord of D'Arcy of
Cliché, but kept the Manors of Sutton, Ebisham and Coulsdon.
later restored the
whole of these manors to Francis, only son of Sir Nicholas Carew.
At a later date, and for unknown reasons, the Manor once more
became possession of the Crown until King Charles II
granted it to the
Duke of Portland
in 1663, who sold
it in 1669 to Sir Robert Long, who sold it that same year to Sir
Richard Mason. The Manor has regularly changed hands since.
In 1755, a
turnpike road from London to Brighton was constructed, intersecting with a turnpike road
from Carshalton to Ewell which was constructed at the same
The toll bars for Cheam Road and Brighton Road were
originally located at right angles to each other by the Cock Hotel,
an inn that sat on the south-east corner of the intersection of the
turnpikes. The toll bar for Carshalton Road was where the police
station is now, though the existence of this toll bar is disputed.
All three of these toll bars moved further away from the
intersection after a number of years to account for the growth in
Sutton's size. The northmost toll bar was situated where Rosehill
is now. The toll bars remained in effect until 1882.
railway station was opened on May 10, 1847.
Likely due to
the new, fast link to central London, Sutton's population more than
doubled between 1851 and 1861. New housing to accommodate this
growth was constructed in the Lind Road area, and called the "New
Town". Today, a pub on the corner of Lind Road and Greyhound Road
is named The New Town.
Sutton Water Company was incorporated in 1863, and the provision of
water mains finally allowed houses to be built outside of the area
defined by the water-yielding Thanet Sands. The Lord of the Manor
at the time, Mr Alcock, sold land that was previously unsuitable
for residential buildings, making it available for new
construction. Sutton's population more than doubled between 1861
The Sutton parish formed Sutton Sanitary District in 1882.
Local Government Act 1894
replaced the parish with the Sutton Urban
District. The district was renamed Sutton and
Cheam Urban District in 1928 and in 1934 gained the status of municipal borough. In 1965 the Municipal
Borough of Sutton and Cheam was abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and
its area transferred to Greater London to be combined with that of other boroughs to form
the London Borough of Sutton.
During the Second World War
places were bombed. However, the Commonwealth War Graves
lists 187 civilian casualties for Sutton and
In 1959 a local resident George Alcock started a campaign to
preserve a unique avenue of Copper Beech trees. This led the same
year to the formation of the Sutton & Cheam Society of which he
was secreatry for many years. A plaque commemorating his life is
situated on the corner of Christchurch Park with Brighton
the Sutton and Cheam constituency was constituted.
Sutton provides one of the many town centres in the London area.
There are good public transport links through buses and trains, and
a one-way system around the High Street as well as three car parks.
There are two large shopping centres in the town centre: the
St. Nicholas Centre
and Times Square
as well as a
. The Aspects
apartment block can be seen across Sutton.
In Sutton town centre, there are three main churches which are the
Sutton Baptist Church, Trinity Church and St. Nicholas Church, as
well as a Salvation Army
There are also two areas of green space in the town centre; one
called Manor Park which is situated opposite the modern Police
Station and the other simply called Sutton Green, located at the
lower end of the high street relatively near Sutton Bus station.
Sutton Library sits at the top of the town next to the Civic
Offices, home of Sutton Council. There is a cinema opposite the
St. Nicholas Centre
, the two being connected by an above
street level covered walkway. To the north of Sutton, there is the
Sutton nightlife is both plentiful and vibrant and boasts a
substantial number of pubs and clubs in and around the Sutton High
Street area. The nightlife scene in Sutton has expanded rapidly
since the late Nineties.
The borough offers a 'Shopmobility' service to disabled people, and
wheel chairs are provided.
Sutton has two shopping centres, both of which are in Sutton High
Street. The largest of these is the St. Nicholas Centre
with three main levels. Times Square
is the smaller of the
two shopping centres. Also Sutton High Street contains many well
known stores. The High Street starts by Marshall's Road and extends
to the station, in Grove Road. Supermarket stores Asda and
Morrisons are located at either ends of the High Street. The area
is pedestrianised during shopping hours.
- See Schools
Education is to an extremely high standard in Sutton and the Sutton
LEA is regularly in the top 5 of the whole country . There are
several primary schools in and around the borough.
Sutton has 89 parks and open spaces within its boundaries, a total
area of 1500 acres (6 km²). The main parks are:
The episode The Return of Mr Bean was filmed at department store
Allders on its previous site, which is now occupied by Waterstones
book shop and others. Furthermore, episodes of The Bill television programme have often been
filmed in Sutton (including recently the Durand Close council
estate in Carshalton, now in process of demolition), and nearby
Additionally, the Channel 4 TV showThe Games
training is filmed at Sutton
Arena. The town's football club, Sutton United F.C.
have also appeared
regularly on adverts from energy drink manufacturers, Lucozade
- Kim Acourt, Glamour model.
- Tony Barton, Aston Villa's 1982
European Cup winning manager was from Sutton.
- Noel Coward, actor and playwright
lived in Lenham Road until the age of 6
- Quentin Crisp Writer and gay
- Bradley McIntosh, member of
former chart topping band S Club 7,
attended Greenshaw High School.
- Katie Melua,
award winning singer, songwriter and musician, lived on Gander
Green lane and attended Nonsuch High School for girls.
- Mike Parry, author, journalist, radio
host and controversialist.
- Joanna Rowsell, world
championship gold medal cyclist.
- Harry Secombe, the humourist, was
a local personality. The Secombe Theatre in Sutton is named after
- Melanie South,
British tennis player, attended Nonsuch High School for girls.
- Graham Sutherland, painter,
- Barry Tebb poet, novelist, editor,
translator, founder of Sixties Press and mental health
- Thomas Wall, ice-cream and sausage
entrepreneur and philanthropist.
bus services that stop at Sutton are operated by London General
, Epsom Coaches
, Arriva London
. Routes 80, 151, 154,
164, 213, 280, 407, 413, 420, 470, S1, S3, S4 and the X26 Express to Heathrow
Airport all stop in Sutton, as well as two school routes
which are 613, operated by London
United and 627 operated by Arriva London.
A list of all
Sutton bus routes and their destinations are listed below.
- 80 (Belmont Prisons - Hackbridge Reynolds Close)
- 151 (Worcester Park Station - Wallington Shotfield)
- 154 (Morden Tube Station - West Croydon Bus Station)
- 164 (Wimbledon Station - Sutton Station)
- 213 (Kingston Fairfield Road Bus Station - Sutton Bus
- 280 (Tooting St. Georges Hospital - Belmont Station)
- 407 (Sutton Marshalls Road - Caterham Station)
- 413 (Morden Tube Station - Sutton Bus Garage)
- 420 (Sutton Bus Station - Redhill Bus Station)
- 470 (Epsom Town Centre - Colliers Wood Tube Station)
- S1 (Mitcham Cricketers - Banstead Marks & Spencer)
- S3 (Worcester Park Station - Sutton Hospital)
- S4 (St. Helier Station & Hospital - Roundshaw)
- X26 Express (Heathrow Airport Central Bus Station - East
Within the town of Sutton, there are three railway stations.
station is the town's major station, where frequent trains to
Bridge run, as well as services to Horsham, Dorking, Epsom Downs, Wimbledon, and Luton. West
Sutton and Sutton Common are both on the First Capital Connect lines to
Sutton also has a taxi rank, which can be picked up from outside
the station. The taxis queue along Lower Mulgrave Road.
The Gander Green Lane ground, home of Sutton United Football
Sutton United F.C.
are based in
Sutton, who play in the Isthmian Premier Division.
is based in Cheam Road, Sutton, (entrance in
Gander Green Lane.) The Club’s 1st XI plays at the highest level of
the sport available to it, the England & Wales Cricket Board’s,
‘Surrey Championship Premier Division.’ The club’s 2nd and 3rd
teams also play at the highest level available to them, the,
‘Surrey Championship 2nd XI and 3rd XI Premier Divisions.’ Sutton Cricket
also provide league cricket for 4th and 5th XIs on
Saturdays and for three XI’s on Sundays, two of which are dedicated
to youth development. The club has a colts section with over 150
participants, and owns a second ground in Holmwood Close, Cheam. A
cricket week is held at the Cheam Road ground every season, in
addition to the club playing at least one mid-week friendly fixture
basketball club are based
in the Westcroft Leisure Centre, Carshalton.
- Charles J. Marshall (1971). History of Cheam &
Sutton. S.R. Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-85409-649-3.
- Robert P. Smith (1970). A History of Sutton AD
675–1960. Published by Derek W. James, no ISBN.
- Martin Andrew (2001). Around Sutton. Frith Book
Company Ltd. ISBN 1-85937-337-2.
- Sutton Guardian: Our Town: History Retrieved
- London Borough of Sutton, Heritage Retrieved