Sydney Works or
Sidney Works is a building on Matilda Street in
seen a variety of uses, and occupies a prominent site beside the
Brook, surrounded by car
The site was originally occupied by the City Saw Mills
. It was occupied by four back-to-back
buildings used until the 1970s by
various small industrial
prominently Deakins Silversmiths
renamed Sydney Silversmiths.
The rear wing of the building was constructed in 1902.
In the 1970s, the building was used by a printing co-operative
it was home to Yorkshire
Artspace, which converted much of the space into studios, becoming the first cultural organisation in
what later became the Cultural Industries Quarter.
In 2001, Yorkshire Artspace moved to
purpose-built premises at Persistence
, and the building stood largely empty, other than a small
part used by a recording
In 2005, the Works were used as a convergence centre for opposition
to the G8 Finance
' meeting in Sheffield. Renamed the "Matilda", it was then developed as a squatted social centre,
including gig spaces, artists' studios, exhibition space, IT
facilities, a cafe and several meeting spaces.
In June 2006,
, who had
acquired the building, secured a court order demanding the eviction
of the occupants.