Templepatrick ( ) is a
borough of County Antrim,
Ireland, northwest of Belfast, and
approximately equidistant from the towns of Ballyclare and Antrim.
It had a population of 1,556 people in the
. It is also close to
International Airport and several hotels are located in the
It is the site of historic Church of Ireland
It is a popular residential area and won the Best Kept Village
award in 1991. The Templeton Hotel in the village was named after
Lady Elizabeth Templeton, an aristocrat and writer who lived in
Castle Upton in the 18th century. The towns official sign claims
Templepatrick is "Twined with Las Vegas".
Places of interest
side of the main street in the village of Templepatrick consists of
the demesne wall of Castle
Upton. A fortified gateway in the wall at the
centre of the village leads up to the Castle itself. The core of
the main house is a tower house with
walls up to five feet thick, erected in 1611 by Sir Robert Norton
and purchased in 1625 by Captain Henry Upton. The family mausoleum
is in the care of the
National Trust and is open to visitors.
- Patterson's Spade Mill, now a small industrial museum, is
nearby. It is a
National Trust property.
- Coloured Rain - Local art gallery in centre of village.
For more information see The Troubles in Templepatrick
which includes a list of incidents in Templepatrick during the
Troubles resulting in two or more fatalities.
Templepatrick is classified as a village by the NI Statistics and
Research Agency (NISRA) (ie with population between 1,000 and 2,250
On Census day (29 April 2001) there
were 1,556 people living in Templepatrick. Of these:
- 19.4% were aged under 16 years and 20.6% were aged 60 and
- 50.1% of the population were male and 49.9% were female
- 12.3% were from a Catholic background
and 82.7% were from a Protestant
- 1.2% of people aged 16–74 were unemployed.