The Full Wiki

More info on Texan brig Wharton

Texan brig Wharton: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:





The Texan brig Wharton was a two-masted brig of the Second Texas Navy from 1839-1846. She was the sister ship of the Archer. Accompanying the Texas flagship, Austin, she defeated a larger force of Mexican Navy steamships in the Naval Battle of Campeche in May 1843. Transferred to the United States Navy in 1846, she was sold for $55.

Background of the Texas Navy

The Texas Navy was officially formed in January 1836, with the purchase of four schooners: Invincible, Brutus, Independence, and Liberty. These ships, under the command of Commodore Charles Hawkins, helped Texas win independence by preventing a Mexicanmarker blockade of the Texas coast, seizing Mexican ships carrying reinforcements and supplies to its army, and sending their cargoes to the Texas volunteer army. Nevertheless, Mexico refused to recognize Texas as an independent country. By the middle of 1837, all of the ships had been lost at sea, run aground, captured, or sold. With no ships to impede a possible invasion by Mexico, Texas was vulnerable to attack.

In 1838, President Mirabeau B. Lamar responded to this threat by forming a second Texas Navy. Unlike Sam Houston, Lamar was an ardent supporter of the Texas Navy and saw the urgent need for its continuation. The second Texas Navy was placed under the command of Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, an Alexandria Academy graduate who was recruited from the United States Navy. One of the ships of this second navy was the Wharton along with her sister ship, the Archer.

History of the Wharton

Wharton was built in Baltimore, Marylandmarker at the Schott and Whitney shipyard. Originally called the Colorado, she was rechristened in honor of John Austin Wharton, a hero of the battle of San Jacintomarker.

From her commissioning until January 1842, Wharton remained in Galvestonmarker awaitimg provisions and repairs.

Cruises to Campeche

Leaving Galveston in January, Wharton reached Commodore Moore's squadron off the Yucatanmarker port of Sisal on April 18 1842. The Wharton brought word to Commodore Moore that the Republic of Texas had declared a blockade of the Mexican coast and Wharton remained in Mexican waters to help enforce it until May 1842. Returning to Galveston, the Wharton saw almost her crew quit the service as a result of expiring enlistments and desertions.

In late May 1842, she sailed to New Orleansmarker for much-needed repairs with only nine sailors. After receiving a complete overhaul and recruiting a new crew at New Orleans, the Wharton and Moore's flagship, the Austin set out on April 19 1843 again for a cruise off the Yucatan coast. They sailed to Campeche and there engaged the Mexican steam frigate Moctezuma on April 30 in the first Naval Battle of Campeche. Although the Austin and the Wharton succeeded in temporarily driving the Mexican fleet from Yucatan waters, the Wharton was struck by a sixty-eight-pound shot; two men were killed and four were wounded when one of her own guns exploded during the two days of fighting. A decisive second engagement with the Mexican fleet on May 16 1843, resulted in a clear Texan victory. The Austin and the Wharton left Mexican waters on June 25 and arrived at Galveston on July 14 1843, effectively bringing to an end the active service of the Texas navy, as the ships would never leave port again.

Transfer to the U.S. Navy

When the United Statesmarker formally annexed Texas on May 11 1846, the Wharton was transferred to the United States Navy, which in turn sold the ship to the city of Galveston for fifty-five dollars on November 30, 1846.

Commanders of the Vessel

The Wharton was commanded by:



References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message