The Full Wiki

More info on The Albany Academy

The Albany Academy: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Albany Academy is an independent college preparatory day school for boys in Albanymarker, New Yorkmarker, USAmarker, enrolling students from Preschool (age 3) to Grade 12. It was established in 1813 by a charter signed by Mayor Philip Schuyler Van Rensselaer and the city council of Albany. In July 2007, the administrative teams of The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls merged into The Albany Academies. Both schools bring with them deeply treasured values of community, tradition and purpose to the newly formed institution known as The Albany Academies. However, The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls continue to grant their own diplomas.

History

The Albany Academy is the oldest boys day school in the New York Capital Regionmarker, chartered in March 1813 to educate the sons of Albany's political elite and rapidly growing merchant class. In the Census three years prior, Albany was the tenth-largest city in the United States, and would remain so through the 1850s due to the prominence of the Erie Canal.

Old Academy Building
began within months after the charter was granted, offering a college preparatory track (including intensive study of Ancient Greek, and Latin) and an arithmetic-based track to prepare young men for Albany's role as a center of commerce. Two years later, in 1815, a purpose-built building was completed in present day Academy Park, adjacent to the New York State Capitolmarker. The Federal-style building, now known as the Old Academy and headquarters of the City School District of Albany, was designed by renowned Albany architect Philip Hooker. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural significance and role as home to scientist Joseph Henry's laboratory. [158343]

In 1870, in response to a lack of military preparation institutions in the north during the American Civil War, the Albany Academy adopted the Battalion Leadership Program, instructing the "cadets" in military procedure and the art of leadership. In 2005 the school ended compulsory involvement in the program in favor of a House-based leadership program commonly found in English preparatory schools. The four houses, named for prominent historical Academy figures (Beck, Gates, Henry, and Olcott), compete against one another in the fields of academics, athletics, community service, and extracurricular involvement for honor and special privileges awarded to the leading house.

1931, the school moved from its original downtown building in present day Academy Park to its current location on the corner of Hackett and Academy Roads, in the University Heights section of Albany. Designed by Marcus T. Reynolds in the neo-Georgian style, the building incorporates many elements of the Old Academy building, namely the main entryway and cupola. The school stands approximately two miles from the city center, allowing students access to the resources of the State University of New York at Albanymarker, Russell Sage Collegemarker, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institutemarker, the state capitolmarker, and the state museummarker and library. The red-brick Academy building's marble corner stone was laid by the then Governor and future President Franklin D. Roosevelt. All grades enrolled in The Albany Academy are housed under the same roof, a point of pride for the Academy Community.

The Board of Trustees announced that The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls would merge into The Albany Academies in July 2007. Single-gender education will continue under the present form in Lower and Middle Schools, while Upper School students may continue to cross-register for coed classes and certain extracurricular activities.

On July 1, 2009, the Board of Trustees announced the appointment of Douglas M.marker Northmarker AA'58, President of Alaska Pacific Universitymarker, to the position of Head of School of The Albany Academies, effective July 2010.[158344]

Facilities

Current Academy Building
The main Academic building houses 40 classrooms, two libraries, Mac and Windows computer labs, the cafeteria (called the Buttery), the school book store, the auditorium (known as Caird Chapel), the Wellness Center, the Black Box Theater, a darkroom, the Joseph Henry Science Wing, student and faculty lounges, board rooms, art and music studios, the school's archives, and various administrative offices. The school's athletic facilities include 11 team locker-rooms, 2 soccer/lacrosse fields, 2 baseball diamonds, 2 football fields, the 400-meter Robison Track, the Robison Hockey Arena, 6 outdoor tennis courts, the 6-lane, Standish Pool, the Rea Fitness Center, 2 indoor gymnasiums, conference rooms, long- and high-jump pits, a discuss court, and a shot-put court. Other on-campus facilities include the Head of School's Residence (known as the Leonard House) which has since been used to house the admissions department.

Student body

Drawn predominately from a six-county area and from within a radius of , the student body is ethnically, religiously, and economically diverse. The total 2005–06 school population is 340 boys, including 82 in the Lower School, 71 in the Middle School, and 187 in the Upper School. There is a total of six countries represented in the school. Students are encouraged to actively participate in all aspects of school life; they are expected to conduct themselves responsibly and treat each other and their teachers with respect. Students are responsible for upholding school rules. The Albany Academy adheres to a school-wide honor code. Student Council members, especially seniors, occupy important leadership positions at Albany Academy. Its Leadership Development Program prepares students to hold leadership positions at school and beyond by providing formal classes on leadership, advising/student mentoring, community service, and involvement in co-curricular programs -- all within the structure of a British-modeled House System.

Mission Statement

The Albany Academies is a Preschool-grade 12 independent college-preparatory single-gender school committed to developing the potential of the whole individual by building a community that fosters scholarship, leadership, character, service and integrity. The school's core values include responsibility, self-discipline, compassion, ingenuity, respect, service, integrity and perseverance.

Accreditation and memberships

The Albany Academies is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools and recognized by the Regents of the State of New York.

It is a member of the following associations: the College Board, the Cum Laude Society, the National Association of Independent Schools, the Educational Records Bureau, the Capital Region Independent Schools Association, the Association of Boys' Schools, the Secondary Schools Admission Test Board, and the New England Prep School Athletic Association.

Merger

In July 2007, the administrative teams of The Albany Academy and Albany Academy for Girls merged into The Albany Academies. Both schools bring with them deeply treasured values of community, tradition and purpose to the newly formed institution known as The Albany Academies.

Alumni

Noted alumni include:

Government, Law, & Public Policy



Academia



Literature & Journalism



Science & Technology



Arts, Sports, & Entertainment



Theology



Military



Faculty/Administration

Noted former faculty and administration include:

See also



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message