The Full Wiki

More info on The Algonquin Regiment

The Algonquin Regiment: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Algonquin Regiment is a Primary Reserve infantry regiment of the Canadian Forces comprising two companies. A Coy (Alpha Company) is located in North Baymarker, Ontariomarker and B Coy (Bravo Company) is located in Timminsmarker.

History

Early period

The Algonquin Regiment began in 1865 as the Volunteer Infantry Company in Sault Ste.marker Mariemarker, Ontariomarker. Some members of this company served in the Wolseley Expedition against the Red River Rebellion in 1870. The threat of Fenian raids on Canada, ultimately convinced the government of the day to maintain a militia force at the head of Lake Superiormarker. In 1886, a battalion was authorized in the Algoma District with companies in Rat Portagemarker and Gore Baymarker. An additional company was formed in Sault-Ste-Marie in 1889 and lastly in Sudburymarker in 1896. The Sudbury company later became the nucleus of the 97th Regiment of Rifles.

On 1 July 1900 the 97th Regiment of Rifles was formed with four independent companies of militia. Company Headquarters were established in Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Thessalonmarker and Sturgeon Fallsmarker. On the 23 June, 1903 the regiment was redesignated the 97th Regiment (Algonquin Rifles). The regiment sent volunteers to the South African War and on occasion, were called out in Sault Ste. Marie to conduct defence of property and maintenance of peace in the face of rioting strikers.

First World War

The 97th Regiment (Algonquin Rifles) recruited to its full active strength and supplied 12 officers and 251 other ranks to the 15th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. Captain E.F. Armstrong began recruiting in the Nipissingmarker and Sudbury in late 1915 resulting in the formation of the 159th Battalion. The battalion was mobilized on 5 July 1916, trained at Camp Bordenmarker in North Bay during that summer and fall of 1916, and embarked for England on 1 November 1916 with a strength of 1,004 men. The battalion remained intact until 20 January 1917 when it was absorbed into the 8th Reserve Battalion and used to reinforce units already in Francemarker. As the result of not having enough men at any particular battle, the unit received only the general "Great War 1916-1917" battle honor.

Following the end of the war the 159th (1st Algonquins), 228th and 256th Battalions were perpetuated in the Algonquin Rifles. In 1933, the unit was renamed The Algonquin Regiment. The regiment decided to keep the the bull moose symbol of the 97th Regiment (Algonquin Rifles) on a redesigned cap badge. In 1936, A Company in Sudbury was removed from the regiment and amalgamated with the Sault-Ste-Marie Regiment to become the Sault Ste. Marie/Sudbury Regiment, and the 23rd Regiment (Northern Pioneers) were amalgamated into The Algonquin Regiment.

Second World War

When war broke out recruitment and training were the primary concern of the Algonquin Regiment. The regiment recruited from an area extending from Bracebridgemarker and Parry Soundmarker to the south and Timmins and Cochranemarker to the north. It was not until 22 July 1940 that the regiment went into active service. On 7 September 1940 the first battalion, The Algonquin Regiment (Active Force), arrived at Camp Borden. There was not enough space however for training exercises and were moved to Current River Camp in Port Arthur, Ontariomarker and again to Camp Shilo in Manitobamarker on 4 June 1941. The regiment was transferred to Niagara-on-the-Lakemarker and assigned guard duty on the Niagara and Welland canals in November 1941 before finally being asked for their first draft for overseas enforcements on 14 January 1942. In February 1942 the regiment was transferred to Newfoundland and assigned protection duties at Torbay airportmarker and Cape Spearmarker. In January 1943, the regiment was chosen for operations overseas, was moved to Debert Campmarker in Nova Scotiamarker and, for administration purposes, was assigned to the 20th Brigade of the 7th Canadian Infantry Division. The regiment embarked on the RMS Empress of Scotland in Halifaxmarker on 10 June 1943, and sailed the following day for England with a complement of 4,500 troops. Upon arriving in Liverpoolmarker the regiment proceeded to Heathfield and was made part of the 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 4th Canadian Division. On 16 July 1944 an advance party left for Normandy, Francemarker with the the regiment as a whole arriving a couple days later.

Alliances



Order of precedence

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message