The Full Wiki

More info on The Cincinnati Post

The Cincinnati Post: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Cincinnati Post is a discontinued afternoon daily newspaper that was published in Cincinnati, Ohiomarker. Distributed in Northern Kentucky as The Kentucky Post, it was owned by the E. W. Scripps Company. Since the 1980s, its editorial stance was usually conservative. The Post published its final edition on December 31, 2007. The Kentucky Post maintains a web edition, KYPost.com.

History

The Post was first published by Frank and Walter Wellman on January 3, 1881. It was originally called the Penny Post. The Kentucky Post was created as an edition of the paper in 1885 to serve Cincinnati's suburbs across the Ohio River. The Wellman brothers enlisted James E. Scripps and half-brother Edward Wyllis Scripps, to take over the paper later that year.

In 1958, it absorbed The Cincinnati Times-Star, another afternoon paper. It first published on June 15, 1880, when the Spirit of the Times (founded in 1840) and the Cincinnati Daily Star (founded in 1872) merged. The combined papers would be published under the name The Cincinnati Post and Times-Star until December 31, 1974; afterward it was simply The Cincinnati Post.

In 1977, the paper entered into a joint operating agreement with the other daily in Cincinnati, the morning Cincinnati Enquirer. Under the agreement, the Enquirer handled all business functions of both papers, including printing, distribution, and selling advertising. The JOA was not successful for the paper. When it was entered into, the Post outsold the Enquirer, but by 2004 the positions were reversed: the Enquirer outsold the Post by five to one. In January 2004, the Enquirer informed the Post it would not be renewing the agreement upon its expiration on December 31, 2007. On July 17, 2007, parent company E.W. Scripps announced both The Cincinnati Post and The Kentucky Post would cease publication, their last editions to be published on December 31, 2007.

In the spring of 2004, the Post ended its distribution in the northern suburbs in Butlermarker and Warrenmarker Counties to concentrate on Hamilton Countymarker and its Kentuckymarker edition. Also in that same year political cartoonist, Jeff Stahler left the Post for The Columbus Dispatch. In June 2005, the paper announced it was offering employees early retirement in advance of the paper's probable closure.

The paper came to an end due to a number of factors, including: the end of the joint operating agreement, a 75 percent decrease in readership, and decreasing advertising revenues.

Notable former employees



References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message