The Full Wiki

More info on The Crypt School, Gloucester

The Crypt School, Gloucester: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Crypt School is a grammar school for boys with a mixed Sixth Form, located in the city of Gloucestermarker, Englandmarker, founded in 1539 by John and Joan Cooke. The original school was part of St Mary de Crypt church in Southgate Street and the schoolroom can still be seen there. Later, in 1889, the school moved to Greyfriars, known better as Friar's Orchard, and in 1943, to its present site at Podsmead. The site on which the modern school is situated is land given to the school by John and Joan Cooke in 1539. Despite attempts to change the school, notably in the 1960s with the move to comprehensive schools, the Crypt remains a selective boys grammar school.

Academic

The Crypt School has been awarded an 'Artsmark' Award by the Arts Council of England for the quality of provision in creative and performing arts (i.e. music, drama and art itself).

In 2003, the school was granted Specialist Status in Science. It remains the only school in Gloucester with this distinction. This award was, in part, awarded in recognition of the quality of science provision at the school - it remains one of a very select group of schools which teaches all of the sciences in depth as separate subjects.

In 2009, The Crypt School was further designated as a Specialist Language College, this status will become active as of the 2009/2010 academic year.

At the end of every academic year, usually on the second Thursday of July, pupils, staff and former Cryptians gather at Gloucester Cathedral for Founders Day, a day when the school remembers its past and how the school was founded. The Headmaster of the school pays the Rector of St Mary De Crypt Church a quit rent of one red rose.

There are four school houses; Moore, Brown, Whitfield and Henley, named after notable former students.

In the 1950s and 1960s,the Crypt gained a reputation for the quality of its Shakespearean productions. The plays were directed by Charles Lepper, English teacher at the Crypt, and former RSC actor. Lepper's last production at the Crypt was "Much Ado About Nothing" in 1966.

Miscellaneous

School song - Carmen Cryptiense

Pio cantu celebremus

Scholam, pie memoremus

Conditores, quis debemus

Tot Musarum munera.

Laus Ioanni tribuenda,

Laus Ioannae concinenda.

Vivat schola Cryptiensis,

Vivat in perpetuum!

Stat per annos domus crescens

Fortiorque fit senescens,

Laeta prole revirescens

Dum labuntur saecula.

Viget prisca fide plena,

Viget nova spe serena.

Vivat schola Cryptiensis,

Vivat in perpetuum!

Noted alumni



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message