The Valley is the capital of Anguilla and the main
"town" on the island.
, it has a population of 1,169.
has few examples of colonial architecture due to the relocation of
Anguilla's administration to St. Kitts in 1825, though Wallblake House, built in 1787, still stands
and is used as a rectory by the adjacent
New shops have
opened in new buildings and renovated West Indian-style cottages.
Old shops have been modernized and have enlarged their stocks as
well as their space.
The ruins of the Old Court House are located on Crocus Hill, the
island's highest point. All that remains are the broken walls of a
few basement jail cells. At Cross Roads at the western edge of The
Valley is Wallblake House, a plantation home built around 1787 that
is now owned by the Catholic Church (the parish priest lives there)
and St. Gerard's Catholic Church, with its highly original facade
of pebbles, stones, cement, wood and tile.
is served by Anguilla Wallblake Airport (IATA: AXA, ICAO: TQPF) with some international