Dr. Theodore Shapiro
, MD, is a psychiatrist and
psychoanalyst in New York, where he is a professor emeritus in
psychiatry and pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medical College
and the Payne Whitney
. He is a faculty member of the
Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and
and a training and supervising psychoanalyst at the
New York Psychoanalytic
Shapiro is the former director of the division of child psychiatry
at Cornell and the former editor of the Journal of
the American Psychoanalytic Association
. He graduated from
University in 1953 and from the Weill Cornell Medical College
In 1994, when Shapiro stepped down after ten years service as
editor of the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association,
he had published nearly 150 research articles and six books. Cooper
writes: "His publications include significant contributions to our
understanding of empathy, autism, linguistic structure, symbol
formation, and diagnosis, among other topics." Since that time he
has continued publishing and is the author or editor of at least
- Infant Psychiatry: A New Synthesis (with Eveoleen N.
Rexford and Louis W. Sander). Yale University Press, 1976. ISBN
- Psychoanalysis and Contemporary Science (edited
collection). International Universities Press, 1977. ISBN
- Clinical psycholinguistics. Plenum Press, 1979. ISBN
- The Concept of Structure in Psychoanalysis.
International Universities Press, 1989. ISBN 9780823610419.
- Affect: Psychoanalytic Perspectives (with Robert N.
Emde). International Universities Press, 1992. ISBN
- Research in psychoanalysis: process, development,
outcome (with Robert N. Emde). International Universities
Press, 1995. ISBN 9780823657957.
- Manual of panic-focused psychodynamic psychotherapy
(with Barbara Milrod, Arnold Cooper, and Fredric Busch). American
Psychiatric Pub., 1996. ISBN 9780880488716.
- Psychodynamic treatment of depression (with Fredric
Busch and Marie Rudden). American Psychiatric Pub., 2004. ISBN
- Psychodynamic Approaches to the Adolescent with Panic
Disorder (with Barbara Milrod and Fredric Busch). Krieger
Publishing Company, 2004. ISBN 9781575242309.
- Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic
Training and Research faculty roster 2008-2009, retrieved
- New York Psychoanalytic Institute Membership
Roster, retrieved 2009-07-05.
- Physician profile from Weill Cornell Medical College,