The Third Military District
existed in the
during the Reconstruction
that followed the American Civil
. It comprised Georgia, Florida and Alabama and was
headquartered in Atlanta.
Originally commanded by General John Pope
, after his removal by
President Andrew Johnson
on December 28, 1867, General
George Gordon Meade
served at the current location of Fort McPherson until August 1868 after Alabama
and Florida had been were re-admitted into the United States.
Because of the expulsion of Blacks from the Georgia legislature
, a new military
leader was appointed on December 22, 1869, General Alfred Terry
. In January, he returned the
legislators and ousted 29 Democrats. In February, the Fifteenth
was ratified by Georgia and by July it was
re-admitted into the Union.