The Full Wiki

Throggs Neck: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Throggs Neck (neighborhood)
Throggs Neck (also known by its alternate spelling, Throgs Neck) is a narrow spit of land in the southeastern portion of the borough of the Bronxmarker in New York Citymarker. It demarcates the passage between the East Rivermarker and Long Island Soundmarker. "Throggs Neck" is also the name of the neighborhood of the peninsula, bounded on the north by East Tremont Avenue and Baisley Avenue, on the west by Westchester Creekmarker, and on the other sides by the above-named bodies of water. Throggs Neck was largely exempt from the severe urban decay that affected much of the Bronx Boroughmarker and boasts a diverse housing stock of middle class neighborhoods.

Throggs Neck is at the northern approach to the Throgs Neck Bridgemarker, which connects the Bronx with the borough of Queensmarker on Long Islandmarker in the neighborhood of Baysidemarker. The Throgs Neck Lighthousemarker stands at its southern tip. Historically, the correct spelling is with two "g's," and while NYC Parks Commissioner and Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority Chairman Robert Moses shortened it to one "g" after deciding that two would not fit on many of the street signs, residents continue to recognize the traditional spelling.
The geographic feature Throggs Neck, shown in red, in the Bronx, New York City

History

The peninsula was called Vriedelandt, "Land of Peace", by the Dutchmarker. The current name comes from Rev. John Throckmorton or Throgmorton, an English Quaker whom the Dutch allowed to settle in this peripheral area in 1642, with thirty-five of his flock. The settlement was eventually driven out by an uprising of Native Americans; Throckmorton resettled in New Jersey. In 1668, the peninsula appeared on maps as "Frockes Neck". The peninsula was virtually an island at high tide: in 1776, George Washington's headquarters wrote of a potential British landing at "Frogs Neck". At the bridge over Westchester Creek, now represented by an unobtrusive steel and concrete span at East Tremont Avenue near Westchester Avenue, General Howe did make an unsuccessful effort to cut off Washington's troops, 12 October 1776: when the British approached, the Americans ripped up the plank bridge and opened a heavy fire that forced Howe to withdraw and change his plans; six days later he landed troops at Rodman's Neck to the north, on the far side of Eastchester Bay.

In the 19th century, the area remained the site of large farms, converted into estates after the Civil War; here Frederick C. Havemeyer, the sugar magnate, and Collis P. Huntington, the railroad builder, had country places. Throgs Neck Park is a small public park that faces Throggs Neck from the opposite shore at the end of Myers Street; it was acquired as a public place in 1836. From 1833 to 1856, the construction of Fort Schuylermarker brought in laborers and craftsmen, many of whom were immigrants from Irelandmarker, to settle in the area with their families. By the late 19th century, the area had developed into a fashionable summer resort, which also contained large German beer gardens, to which the residents of Yorkvillemarker arrived by steamboat service up the East River. The 19th-century steamboat landing at Ferris Dock on Westchester Creek stood at present-day Brush Avenue north of Wenner Place; the road to it bore the name of the steamboat Osseo. The Ferris family were 18th-century residents, whose Ferris Point at the southeast corner of Throggs Neck neighborhood, now supports the Hutchison River Parkway (formerly Ferris Lane) ramp to the Bronx-Whitestone Bridgemarker and Ferry Point Park. The last two of several large and handsome 18th-century Ferris houses in the neighborhood lasted until the 1960s, when the James Ferris house overlooking Eastchester Baymarker was hastily demolished in 1962 and the Watson Ferris house was demolished in 1964 by its occupants, the Tremont Terrace Moravian Church. The James Ferris house had been commandeered by Admiral Richard Howe as his headquarters in October 1776, when James Ferris was sent to the prison hulks in New York harbor, where he died in 1780.
In the decades after the incorporation of the Bronx into the City of Greater New York in 1898, the transit lines were extended to the neighborhood, bringing in many Italianmarker farmers and tradesmen. The large estates largely became converted into smaller row homes.

In 1932, Fort Schuyler closed as an active military installation and became the campus for cadets of the State University of New York Maritime College. In 1961, with the building of the Throgs Neck Bridge, as well as the adjacent parkways, the neighborhood lost its comparative isolation. Today the neighborhood has several beach clubs and a diverse housing stock, including middle-class homes, up-market waterfront condominiums, as well as the Throggs Neck Houses, built in 1953 as one of the first low-income public housing projects in New York City and later expanded twice. In 1984, the New York Times described Throggs Neck as one of the last middle- and upper-middle-class areas in the Bronx, noting the area "seems like a well-kept suburb." Even in the mid-1980s, after the city failed to pave neighborhood streets properly, waterfront condominiums were selling for as much as $416,468 in 2005 dollars.
This Map shows the income distribution in Throggs Neck.
During the 2000 Census, the median household income for census tracts within the neighborhood ranged from $18,000 to $85,000 in poorer areas surrounding the Throggs Neck Houses to $85,000-$100,000 in the waterfront areas near the Throgs Neck Bridge.

Transportation



Popular culture





References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message