The Full Wiki

Thurrock: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Borough of Thurrock
Status: Unitary, Borough
Region: East of England
Ceremonial County: Essex
- Total
163.38 km²
Admin. HQ: Graysmarker
ONS code: 00KG
- Total ( )
- Density


/ km²

Ethnicity: 91.0% White
3.3% S.Asian
3.2% Black
1.5% Mixed Race
1.0% Chinese or other


Thurrock Council

Leadership: Leader & Cabinet
MPs: Andrew MacKinlay
Angela Smith /
Thurrock is a unitary authority with borough status in the Englishmarker ceremonial county of Essex. It is part of the London commuter belt and an area of regeneration within the Thames Gatewaymarker redevelopment zone.

The borough

It lies on the River Thames just to the east of Londonmarker. With over 18 miles (29 km) of riverfront it covers an area of 64 square miles (166 km²), with more than half defined as Green Belt. With Greater Londonmarker to the west and the river to the south, the county of Essex abuts the Borough to the north and east, and across the river lies Kentmarker.

Land use

Thurrock has a population of 150,000 people living in 63,500 homes. The green belt covers 70% of the borough. There are of land available for industrial use. There are seven conservation areas, 19 scheduled ancient monuments and 239 listed buildings.

The borough contains ten sites of special scientific interest:
  • Globe Pit, Grays
  • Grays Chalk Pit
  • Lion Pit, Grays
  • Purfleet Chalk Pits
  • West Thurrock Lagoon and Marshes
  • Inner Thames Marshes
  • Vange and Fobbing Marshes
  • Basildon Meadows
  • Mucking Flats and Marshes
  • Hangmans Wood and Deneholes

Despite much of the borough being protected Green Belt land, Thurrock provides localised opportunities for further industrial and commercial development. The borough forms part of the Thames Gatewaymarker regeneration area, a corridor of opportunity that has been identified by central government as the area with greatest development and commercial potential in the country. A Thurrock Development Corporation was recently imposed and took over much of the borough's planning functions in 2005. Much of the population and commercial activity is centred along the riverfront. This includes many large and important industrial sites, including two large oil refineries, manufacturing industries, a container port, cruise liner terminal, distribution warehousing and one of Britain's largest refuse disposal sites at the appropriately named settlement of Mucking. Thurrock is also home to the Lakeside Shopping Centremarker.


There are two multiplex cinemas attached to the Lakeside Shopping Centre, and the Thameside Theatre in Graysmarker. Live shows are held at the Circus Tavern in Purfleetmarker. Open space includes Langdon Hills Country Park and Grove House Wood, managed by Essex Wildlife Trust. Museums and historic buildings include Coalhouse Fortmarker at East Tilburymarker, Tilbury Fortmarker in Tilburymarker, Purfleet Heritage and Military Centre, Thurrock Museum and Walton Hall Farm Museum.

Next to Lakeside Shopping Centremarker is Arena Essex, a motor sports complex, where speedway, banger and stock car racing takes place.


Mammoths once grazed in the Thurrock area and archaeologists recently unearthed the remains of a jungle cat. Man has been in the area since prehistoric times and the land has been farmed by the Romans and Anglo-Saxons Thurrock has numerous archaeological sites including the major excavation at Muckingmarker.

The Woolmarket by Ron Strutt
is the site of the 15th century woolmarket.The area's wealth in the 1400s is shown in the splendid wool market at Horndon-on-the-Hillmarker. The narrowing of the river where Tilbury now stands meant it was important in the defence of Londonmarker, and Henry VIII built three blockhouses, two on the Tilbury side and another on the Gravesend side of the river, following the end of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon.Later, in 1588 Elizabeth I addressed her troops not far from the Tilbury blockhouse as the Spanish Armada sailed up the English Channelmarker. Between 1670 and 1682, the Tilbury blockhouse was substantially rebuilt in to a much larger fortification (Tilbury Fortmarker) and Coalhouse Fort was built further down river, close to the second blockhouse. The importance of the forts in defending the country continued through Napoleonic times and into the two world wars. The land where Tilbury Town now stands was farmland and marsh grazing until the building of the docks in the 1890s. Thurrock includes the Bata village, built for workers of the shoe company in 1933. Eight homes and the factory are listed. Historically, the area was renowned for mineral extraction, including clay, aggregates and notably the digging of huge amounts of chalk from the West Thurrock area for use in the now defunct cement industries. When chalk extraction ceased the disused pit was redeveloped as LakesideShopping Centre.

The present-day borough of Thurrock was created in 1974 from the former area of Thurrock Urban Districtmarker. The Local Government Act 1972 left the boundaries mostly untouched, although part of it, in Basildonmarker New Town, was ceded to the Basildon districtmarker and the district gained borough status.

It was given administrative independence from Essex County Council on 1 April 1998 by The Essex (Boroughs of Colchester, Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock and District of Tendring) (Structural, Boundary and Electoral Changes) Order 1996. It remains part of Essex for ceremonial purposes such as Lord-Lieutenancy.

Heritage Plaques

In 2002, a partnership between Thurrock Council, Thurrock Heritage Forum and the Thurrock Local History Society began an initiative to place heritage plaques marking the famous people, events and organisations associated with Thurrock. By June 2008 there were plaques to:

Culture & Film

Thurrock has been the scene of several major films. St Clement's Church and street scenes at West Thurrockmarker were used in the making of the film Four Weddings and a Funeral. Thurrock can also be seen in 28 Days Later. Scenes from the films Alfie (2004), and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were shot at Tilbury docks. The opening scenes from Batman Begins (2005) were shot at Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury. Some filming also took place for the film Essex Boys in and around the Bata estate at East Tilbury. The State Cinemamarker where Eddie met Roger in the classic Who Framed Roger Rabbit can be found in Grays. Of interest to film buffs is the State cinema itself. This listed building dates from 1938 and it is one of the few surviving examples of thirties cinema architecture. It has the original cinema organ which can still be played, however, the building is disused and faces dereliction.

In the early 1980s Thurrock was home to one of the world's most notorious gang of Skinheads.

The Tilbury Trojan Skins had many claims to fame including film parts as extras in films such as Pink Floyd's "The Wall", Madness "Take it or leave it" and Lewis Collins "Who dares wins".

Further notoriety came when the legendary Oi band, Angela Rippon's Bum, a band that was formed from within the gang made its appearance on the Oi scene with a track on one of Garry Bushell's Oi the albums on the Secret records label.


Being both on the river and close to London, Thurrock is served with good communication links. The M25 London Orbital Motorwaymarker, the railway line between Southend and London Fenchurch Street which provides direct access to Central London and, eventually, Stratford International Station, the Port of Tilbury and the nearby London City Airportmarker make Thurrock an important international trade centre. There is a grass airstrip south of Bulphan village. A ferry for passengers on foot connects Tilbury with Gravesend on the southern bank of the River Thames.

Rail transport in the borough is provided by c2c with stations at:

Bus services within the Thurrock urban area are mostly provided by Ensignbus.

  • Ensignbus operates routes X80 (Chafford Hundred-Bluewater), 22 (Grays-Aveley), 33 (Grays-Chafford Hundred-Lakeside) - Mon Sat only, 44 (Lakeside-Orsett) - Mon-Sat only, 66 (Lakeside-Tilbury-Chadwell St Mary), 73/C (Lakeside-Tilbury), 83 (Lakeside-Socketts Heath-Chadwell St Mary).

  • Arriva has a depot at West Thurrock, but most of its work is Transport for London contracts, and its only route actually running into Thurrock is the 370 (Lakeside-Romford).

  • On Sundays/public holidays, Arriva Southend depot runs routes 44 (Lakeside-Grays) and 150 (Grays-Basildon)and on Mondays-Saturdays Arrica Operate the 'Basildon Direct' route 5 , from Lakeside to Southend.

  • First operates two services, (100, 200) between Lakeside/Grays and Basildon. 200 is Mon-Sat only.

  • East London Bus (Thameside) runs Transport for London route 372 from Lakeside to Hornchurch.

  • Blue Triangle run route 575 between Epping and Lakeside via Debden , Havering Atte Bower and non-stop to Lakeside From Romford. Mon-Fri,One Return Journey.

  • First London operate route 265 between Brentwood and Lakeside , Mon-Fri 4 Return Journeys (More journeys on non school days)

  • Imperial Bus Company runs 269 (Grays-Brentwood). This is Mon-Sat only on Essex CC contract.

  • Clintona of Brentwood operates 374 (Grays-Bulphan) - Mon-Sat only and route 11 (Aveley-Basildon) - Mon-Sat only.

  • A coach service to Stansted Airport is provided by Excel Passenger Logistics.


This is a chart of trend of regional gross value added of Thurrock at current basic prices published (pp. 240-253) by Office for National Statistics with figures in millions of British Pounds Sterling.
Year Regional gross value added Agriculture Industry Services
1995 1,406 8 657 741
2000 1,737 4 677 1,056
2003 1,995 5 664 1,327

List of places in the borough

Historic Buildings


  1. Lead View Table
  6. Components may not sum to totals due to rounding
  7. includes hunting and forestry
  8. includes energy and construction
  9. includes financial intermediation services indirectly measured

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address