The Full Wiki

More info on Tile Hill

Tile Hill: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The Ponderosa
Tile Hill is a suburb in the west of Coventrymarker, West Midlands, Englandmarker.It is mostly residential and partly industrial, with some common land and wooded areas.Tile Hill railway stationmarker is located on the West Coast Mainlinemarker which links Coventrymarker with London and Birminghammarker, and is situated at the south-western border with Canleymarker and Solihullmarker.

Geography

Tile Hill environs
Tile Hill is seated in the ancient Forest of Arden, and some remnants of the forest remain between the built up areas. Tile Hill Lane is flanked by Plants Hill Wood to the south and Pig Wood to the north.

Tile Hill Lane approximately divides the suburb into a northern and a southern section. Tile Hill has three main neighbourhoods:

~Tile Hill North which primarily consists of postwar state housing, extends to Broad Lane in the north, beyond Banner Lane to the west, and to Tile Hill Lane in the south.

~Tile Hill South which comprises mainly private residences extends from Tile Hill Lane in the north, to the railway line in the south.

~Tile Hill Village which is more prosperous provides the main gateway into Coventry and out towards Burton Greenmarker and Solihullmarker Borough, at the city's western extremity.

Tanyard Farm built in the 1980s is an extension of Tile Hill Village to the West of Banner Lane.

Education

There are two secondary schools in Tile Hill: Woodlands Schoolmarker, a boys' comprehensive school and sports college, and Tile Hill Wood Schoolmarker, a girls' comprehensive school and Language college. All of the other secondary schools in Coventry are coeducational.

Primary and junior schools in Tile Hill include Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Junior School, Leigh Church of England Junior School, Limbrick Wood Primary School, and Templars Junior School.

Hereward Collegemarker is a further education college for students with disabilities of various kinds. City College (formerly called Tile Hill College), was adjacent to Hereward College, but has now been demolished and has been relocated to a new purpose-built campus in Swanswell near to Coventry city centre.

Local landmarks

Some of the notable landmarks in the Tile Hill area include:

~Site of the former Massey Ferguson/AGCO factory and offices. Except for the 16-storey tower block and the Massey Ferguson social club, the former factory buildings have been demolished to make way for a mixed use development with housing and a science and technology park containing small industrial units.

~The new Tile Hill Library, One Stop Shop and Neighbourhood Management Centre opened by The Deputy Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor Jack Harrison MBE JP with the cutting of a ceremonial cake on Friday 23 May 2008.

~Pig Wood.

~Limbrick Wood.

~Plants Hill Wood.

~Tile Hill Woodmarker and nature reserve.

~Maxims Casino.

~"The Ponderosa", the local name of a small park, named after the ranch on the Bonanza TV series being broadcast at the time the park was made.

~The "Banana" flats on Jardine Crescent.

~Our Lady of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church.

~St.Oswalds Anglican Church.

~Tile Hill Social Club.

~Standard Triumph Social Club.

~Wing Wahs Chinese restaurant.

~The Newlands public house.

~The Bell Inn.

~The Black Prince.

~Jardine Crescent shopping precinct.

Notable residents

The artist, George Shaw, moved into Tile Hill in 1968 with his family. The estate in Tile Hill his family moved to was built after the war, as part of the nationwide programme to create a modern future. The estate is open-plan, cut across by long paths and roads, and edged with woods, a remnant of what was once the Forest of Arden. George used this suburban environment as the inspiration to paint highly detailed, almost photo-realistic, works using the novel medium of Humbrol Model Paint.

Roads named after people

~Jardine Crescent is named after Dan Jardine, site foreman during the construction of the Tile Hill estate.

~Dormer Harris Avenue is named after Mary Dormer Harris (1867-1936) the local historian.

~Robert Cramb Road named after the Lord Mayor of Coventry in 1947.

~James Green Road, named after the engineer responsible for surveying the route of the Bude Canalmarker.

Photographs

Image:Maxims Casino -Coventry -29j08.jpg|Maxims Casino (June 2008)Image:AGCO Coventry 18o06.jpg|Massey Ferguson/AGCO towerImage:Gravel_Hill.jpeg|Autumn in Gravel HillImage:Tile hill shops 26a07.JPG|The distinctive St. Oswalds church tower on Jardine CrescentImage:Edge_of_Plants_ Hill_ Wood.JPG|Southern edge of Plants Hill WoodImage:Jardine cresent 26a07.JPG|The "Banana" flats on Jardine CrescentImage:City College - Tile Hill Centre 1m08.JPG|The former Tile Hill Centre of City College (now demolished)

References

  1. Planning application brief



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message