Tite Street is a street in
London, England, just north
of the River Thames.
created in 1877, giving access to the Chelsea
The street has been a favoured and
fashionable location for people of an artistic and literary
disposition in the past.
Tite Street is named after the architect William Tite
. He was a member of the Metropolitan Board of Works
responsible for the construction of Chelsea Embankment to the south
of Tite Street and some railwaystation-buildings.
During the 18th century, Gough House
stood on the eastern side of the street. It became a school in 1830
and then the Victoria
Hospital for Children
in 1866. The hospital moved to St George's
Hospital, at Tooting in south
London, and the original building was demolished in 1968.
The site is now occupied by St
convent and home for the elderly.
in Tite Street was designed
by the church architect Thomas Garner
The following people have lived in Tite Street:
- No 30 (formerly 12A):
- Peter Warlock, composer - marked
with a blue plaque. Warlock died here on 17 December 1930, probably
- No 31 (residence) & 33 (studio):
- No 33:
- No 34:
- No 35:
- Whistler instructed E.
W. Goodwin to build the White House here,
but due to his bankuptcy after his legal case with John Ruskin, he was never able to occupy it; the
building was demolished in 1968.
- No 44:
- No (not known):