The second season of Top Chef
began airing on Bravo
took over as host, with
and Gail Simmons
returning as judges. Filming began in
Westwood, near UCLA in Los Angeles, on August 10, 2006.
The number of contestants expanded from 12
to 15. The winning recipe from each week's episode is featured on
Bravo's Top Chef
website and prepared by Season 1
contestant Lee Anne Wong
in a web
video called The Wong Way to Cook
. Bravo cited negative
viewer reaction to the reunion episode of season one
as the reason why no reunion
episode was filmed for season two.
Host & judges
Dieterle, Season 1
winner. (Ep.1 Quickfire & Elimination)
- Hiroshi Shima,
sushi chef. (Ep.2 Quickfire)
- Ming Tsai, chef, restaurateur and
television personality. (Ep.2
Friday's senior executive chef. (Ep.3 Elimination)
- Suzanne Goin, chef
and restaurateur. (Ep.4 Quickfire & Elimination)
Bernstein, chef and restaurateur. (Ep.5 Quickfire
& Elimination, Ep.13 Elimination)
Bourdain, chef, author and
television personality. (Ep.6 Elimination)
Lunetta, chef and restaurateur. (Ep.7 Quickfire &
Woodward, mixologist. (Ep.8
- Lee Hefter, chef.
- Ted Allen, author and
television personality. (Ep.8 Elimination, Ep.9 Quickfire &
- Roberto Ivan, chef
and restaurateur. (Ep.9 Elimination)
- Mike Yakura, chef.
(Ep.10 Quickfire & Elimination)
- Eric Ripert, chef
and restaurateur (Ep.11 Quickfire & Elimination)
- Alan Wong, chef and
restaurateur. (Ep.12 Elimination)
- Scott Conant, chef
and restaurateur. (Ep.13 Elimination)
- Wylie Dufresne,
chef and restaurateur. (Ep.13 Elimination)
- Hubert Keller,
chef and restaurateur. (Ep.13 Elimination)
- Roy Yamaguchi,
chef and restaurateur. (Ep.13 Elimination)
Contestants are listed in order of elimination.
- Suyai Steinhauer, age 29,
New York City,
New York - episode 1
- Otto Borsich, age 46,
Nevada - episode 2
- Emily Sprissler, age 30,
Nevada - episode 3
- Marisa Churchill, age 28,
California - episode 5
- Josie Smith-Malave, age 31,
York - episode 5
- Carlos Fernandez, age 36,
Florida - episode 6
- Frank Terzoli, age 39,
California - episode 7
- Mia Gaines-Alt, age 32,
California - episode 8
- Betty Fraser, age 44,
California - episode 9
- Michael Midgley, age 28,
California - episode 10
- Cliff Crooks, age 28,
Caldwell, New Jersey - episode 11
- Elia Aboumrad, age 23,
Nevada - episode 12
Talbot, age 28, New York City, New York - episode 12
Vigneron, age 26, Las Vegas, Nevada - Runner-Up
Hall, age 24, New York City, New York - Winner
Ages listed are at the time of Top Chef 2
August, 2006. Locations are according to contestants' official
Credit order: Josie, Otto, Sam, Elia, Frank, Emily, Cliff, Betty,
Marcel, Michael, Mia, Marisa, Carlos, Ilan, Suyai.
Otto bowed out voluntarily before Lakshmi eliminated anyone, deciding that his misconduct over the unpaid lychees contributed the most to his team's loss.
After allegations of cheating, the judges decided not to eliminate anyone.
Josie and Marisa were both eliminated, who worked as a team in this challenge.
There were 5 winners in the Quickfire Challenge. These winners did not compete in the Elimination Challenge.
Mia quit voluntarily before Lakshmi eliminated anyone, fearing Elia would be eliminated.
Starting with this episode, Quickfire Challenge wins no longer confers immunity from losing the Elimination Challenge.
There was no winning team in the Elimination Challenge. The bottom 3 was based on each chef's individual performance.
Cliff was disqualified for aggressive physical contact with Marcel.
Since Cliff was disqualified no one else was eliminated going into the finale, however Marcel and Elia had the weaker two of the four dishes in the challenge.
- (WINNER) The chef won the series and was crowned Top Chef.
- (WIN) The chef won that episode's Elimination Challenge.
- (HIGH) The chef was selected as one of the top entries in the
Elimination Challenge, but did not win.
- (IN) The chef neither won nor lost that week's Elimination
Challenge, nor were they up to be eliminated.
- [IN (+)] The chef won a pair or team challenge but was not
chosen as one of the judges' favorites or was picked as .
- [IN (-)] The chef lost a pair or team challenge but was not
selected as one of the judges' least favorites.
- (LOW) The chef was selected as one of the bottom entries in the
Elimination Challenge, but was not eliminated.
- (OUT) The chef lost that week's Elimination Challenge and was
out of the competition.
- (QUIT) The chef voluntarily left the show.
- (DQ) The chef was disqualified and was asked to leave the
- (Runner-Up) Runner of the season
Each episode includes two challenges. The Quickfire Challenge is a
short, simple challenge with a varying reward each week. The
Elimination Challenge is a more complex challenge that determines
who goes home. One or more guest judges join the show each week to
evaluate both the Quickfire and Elimination challenges. Each week's
elimination is announced in a segment called "Judges' Table."
Episode 1: Into the Fire
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a flambé
dish in a limited amount of time. Prize: Immunity from elimination.
- Elimination Challenge: Prepare a dish using all the ingredients
in a closed crate to be served to the other Top Chef contestants.
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Harold Dieterle (Quickfire & Elimination
- First aired October 18, 2006
Episode 2: Eastern Promise
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a sushi dish in a limited amount of
time. Prize: Immunity from elimination.
- Elimination Challenge: Contestants split
into Team Vietnam and Team Korea to prepare
two dishes using the flavors of the team's country to serve at a
- WINNER: Team Vietnam and
Betty. ELIMINATED: Otto.
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons, Hiroshi Shima (Quickfire
Challenge) and Ming Tsai (Elimination
- First aired October 25, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: A limited-edition Kyocera KT-300-HIP Kyotop 8.25" ceramic sashimi knife.
- Otto voluntarily withdrew from the show. As Team Korea loaded
up their SUV with groceries, Marisa heard Otto
say that he thought that the store cashier neglected to ring up a
case of lychees. She later revealed this to
Colicchio, who made Otto take them back to the store. Otto returned
to complete the Elimination Challenge, but announced he was
withdrawing from the competition during the "Judges' Table"
Episode 3: Food for the People
- Quickfire Challenge: Create an original ice
cream flavor and serve it at the Redondo
Beach Seaside Lagoon. Prize: Immunity from
- Elimination Challenge: Create a dish
updating a "childhood classic" to be served to the firemen of South Pasadena.
- WINNER: Betty. ELIMINATED:
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Stephen Bugarelli
- First aired November 1, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: The winning entrée will be
featured nationwide on the menu of T.G.I. Friday's. (Note: Betty's winning dish has
been placed on TGI Friday's menu but renamed "Tuscan Portobello
- During this quickfire challenge, Betty suffered a dry ice burn that required medical attention.
- Betty is the second person to win 2 elimination challenges in a
row behind Tiffani in season 1.
- Cliff is the first person to win 2 quickfire challenges in a
Episode 4: Less is More
- Quickfire Challenge: Create an amuse
bouche dish using $10 of ingredients from a vending machine. Prize: Immunity from
- WINNER: Carlos. (Sunflower Seed & Carrot
Loaf with Cilantro, Sesame Seed & Squirt)
- Elimination Challenge: Create a meal not to exceed 500 calories
to serve at a camp for diabetic and
(Betty, Frank, Marcel)
- Sausage & Cheese Pizza
- Fresh Fruit Skewers
- Crispy Chocolate Cookie with Banana & Peanut Butter
- Berry Lemonade
(Marisa, Mia, Mike)
- BBQ Chicken Skewers with Cole Slaw
- Grilled Vegetables
- Old Fashioned Fudge Cake
(Elia, Ilan, Josie)
- Chicken Parmesan
- Vegetable Lasagna
- Berryrific Cheesecake
(Carlos, Cliff, Sam)
- Turkey Meatballs
- Zucchini, Tomato Sauce & Roasted Corn
- Fruit Smoothie with Graham Cracker Crumbles
- WINNER: Team Black and Frank.
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Suzanne Goin (Quickfire
& Elimination Challenges).
- First aired November 8, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: A cookbook
written by Goin and an opportunity to collaborate on one of Goin's
famed Sunday supper menus for her Lucques restaurant.
- At the judges' table, the losing teams made allegations
regarding the "bending" or "breaking" of the rules in the
elimination challenge by a member or members of the winning team.
Sam stated that he saw people excessively squirting bottles of
olive oil, but refused to say names. Mia stated that Betty had used
sugar instead of Splenda; a claim that Betty
herself later confirmed, explaining that she thought she had not
violated the rules because her team would still be under the 500
calorie limit. However, the other contestants understood that the
rules required that once the calorie calculations had been
completed by the nutritionists, the recipes could not be further
modified. As a result, Colicchio stated that all the contestants
would remain "on probation" and no one was eliminated in this
Episode 5: Social Service
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a dish using offal, the leftover parts of animals. Prize: Immunity
- WINNER: Sam. (Sweetbreads & Scallion
Beignets, Chinese Five Spice & Sweet Soy Broth)
- Elimination Challenge: Working in teams of two, create a
six-course lunch for Jennifer
Coolidge and 60 of her guests using only ingredients already
available in the kitchen.
- 1st Course: Marcel & Frank (Duo of Salmon,
Tartare & Mousse with Red & Gold Beets)
- 2nd Course: Cliff & Sam (Seared Diver
Scallops & Seared Foie Gras with a Fig Gastrique)
- 3rd Course: Ilan & Michael (Lobster,
Shrimp & Mushroom Paella, Fried Softshell Crab)
- 4th Course: Betty & Mia (Pan-Seared Duck
with Puff Pastry, Sweet Potatoes & Green Beans)
- 5th Course: Josie & Marisa ("The Awakening
Trio": Prickly Pear & Coconut Soup, Fennel & Apple Salad,
Sautéed Pineapple Salad)
- 6th Course: Elia & Carlos (A Trio of
Desserts: Chilled Pomegranate & Orange Juice with Basil, Phyllo
& Marscapone Napoleon, Apple or Pineapple Sorbet with
- WINNER: Ilan. ELIMINATED:
Marisa and Josie.
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Michelle Bernstein
(Quickfire & Elimination Challenges).
- First aired November 15, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: Opportunity to
work with Bernstein at the Sagamore Hotel in Miami on the
South Beach Food and Wine Festival.
- During deliberation, the judges could not determine whether
Marisa or Josie was more responsible for the outcome of their dish.
Because both claimed equal responsibility, the judges sent both of
Episode 6: Thanksgiving
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a dish using three different
canned foods in 15 minutes. Prize: Skip the
elimination challenge altogether and immunity from the
- Quickfire winners:
- Sam. (Garbanzo & Beet Salad, Crunchy
Anchovies with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette)
- Mia. ("15 Minute Salad": Garbanzo Beans, Green
Beans, Artichoke Hearts & Mint)
- Ilan. (Spinach & Cannellini Bean Salad,
Roasted Potatoes & Vienna Sausages)
- Cliff. (Potato Salad, Anchovies & Mandarin
- Frank. (Fruit & Coconut Salad with
Blueberry Yogurt Cream)
- Elimination Challenge: All five who did not win the Quickfire
Challenge must work together to make a cutting edge Thanksgiving dinner for the judges and
other Top Chef contestants, using the kitchens in the loft.
- Amuse Bouche: Turkey & Egg Toast Canapé
- First Course: Salad with Chipotle Peppers,
Queso Fresco, Pumpkin Seeds, Butternut Squash Dressing
- Second Course: Portobello & Button
Mushroom Creme Soup with Walnuts (Elia)
- Third Course: Turkey Roulade with Stuffing
& Cranberry Gelee (Marcel)
- Fourth Course: Twice Baked Potato with Shrimp,
Parsnip Mashed Potatoes & Corn with Parmesan (Michael)
- Fifth Course: Chai Pumpkin Creme Brulee,
Chocolate Hazelnut Creme Brulee & a Shot of Coffee (Betty)
- Sixth Course: Cheese Plate: Applewood Cheddar,
Gouda, Port Salut, Parmesan & Brie (Michael)
- WINNER: Elia. ELIMINATED:
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Anthony Bourdain (Elimination
- First aired November 22, 2006
- Sam is the second person to win 2 quickfire challenges in a row
behind Cliff also in season 2.
Episode 7: The Raw and the Cooked
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a entrée
using fresh ingredients from the Redondo Beach Farmers' Market
without cooking of any kind by the contestants. Prize: Immunity
- WINNER: Marcel (Watermelon & Tomato Trio:
Watermelon Steak, Tomato Carpaccio,
Nasturtiums & Opal Basil).
- Elimination Challenge: Prepare breakfast for athletes with the
cooking environment and available tools not known to contestants
until their arrival at the challenge. In the challenge, chefs cook
for surfers at dawn on the beach using only a
fire pit and basic kitchen tools.
- WINNER: Elia ("Organic Breakfast, Lunch &
Dinner": Waffle with Ham, Cheese & Fried Eggs). ELIMINATED:
Frank (Zucchini & Salmon Scramble, Cannoli
Cream with Strawberries & Holland Waffle).
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Raphael Lunetta
(Quickfire & Elimination challenge)
- First aired December 6, 2006
- Elia is the third person to win 2 in a row for an elimination
challenge behind Betty also in season 2 and Tiffani in season
Episode 8: Holiday Spirit
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a Bailey's Irish Cream mix drink and an
accompanying dish. Prize: Immunity from elimination.
- WINNER: Cliff (Original Bailey's, Rum, Vodka
& Vanilla Bean Accompanied by Grilled Sliced Beef, Creme
Fraiche Fondue, Nutmeg & Dark Chocolate)
- Elimination Challenge: Working in two teams of four, cater the Los
Angeles magazine holiday party on
the Warner Bros. movie lot.
- Black Team (Cliff, Elia, Mia, Mike)
- "Surf & Turf Canape": Lobster Medallion with Filet Mignon
& Herb Salad
- Seared Scallops with Belgian Endive & Ginger-Grapefruit
- Smoked Salmon with Avocado Mousse
- Strawberries with Rosemary Mascarpone & Pancetta
- Orange Team (Betty, Ilan, Marcel, Sam)
- Cinnamon Croissant Bread Pudding with Two Chocolates &
- Pickled Mussels with Apple Molasses Mignonette
- Sesame Shrimp Skewers
- Vegetable Terrine
- Confit of Pork Shoulder with Tomato Marmalade
- Chorizo and Egg Tostada
- Beef Tenderloin with Blue Cheese
- Calamari with Dip
- Crab Cake with Spicy Fire Roasted Corn & Pasilla
- Cauliflower a la Plancha Croquetas
- Mushroom Tart
- Salmon Mousse
- WINNER: Orange Team and Sam.
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Ted Allen
(standing in for Gail Simmons), Kristin Woodward (Quickfire
Challenge only), and Lee Hefter (Elimination Challenge only).
- Elimination Challenge prize: a 20-piece set of Global knives.
- Mia voluntarily withdrew from the competition during the
judges' table segment, believing that she was saving Elia from
elimination.The judges were really going to eliminate Michael. Her
decision at the judges' table was preceded by a monologue by Mia
who expressed her anger and frustration with Cliff's attitude
- Teaser advertisements for this episode showed a
cameo of Season 1 contestant Stephen Asprinio,
but he is not shown in the aired episode. The video clip with
Asprinio was included as bonus material on the Top Chef
- Actor Nate Torrence had a cameo in
this episode. He is one of the many party guests who go to Team
- First aired December 13, 2006.
Episode 9: Seven
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a dish based on a color drawn from the knife
- The Best: Cliff, Michael, Sam
- The Worst: Betty, Ilan, Marcel
- WINNER: Michael with Orange. (Sushi Rice with Salmon
& Carrot Chips)
- First episode during Season 2 that immunity from elimination
was not awarded to the quickfire challenge winner.
- Elimination Challenge: Create a seven-course meal, with each
course representing one of the Seven
Deadly Sins. The sins were drawn from the block, but Michael,
as the Quickfire winner, got to swap his his sin, Lust, for Marcel's Envy. Guest
appearance by Debi Mazar, and her
favorite chef in LA Roberto Ivan, from Piccolo in Venice, as guest
- Sam (#1): Wrath—Spicy Shrimp Ceviche with Chili Pepper
- Betty (#2): Sloth—A Trio of Vegetable Soups: Carrot &
Fennel, Red Pepper & Beet, White Onion
- Michael (#3): Envy—Trout & Salmon with Lemon-Thyme Beurre
Blanc, Asparagus & Mushrooms
- Cliff (#4): Greed—Bouillabaisse with Clams, Oysters &
Scallops in a Thai Curry Broth
- Elia (#5): Pride—Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
- Marcel (#6): Lust—Cherry Tart with Cherry Gelee & Cherry
Foam, Whipped Cream & Chocolate
- Ilan (#7): Gluttony—Rich Decadent Chocolate Cake with Fried
- WINNER: Michael with Envy.
ELIMINATED: Betty with Sloth
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Ted Allen (standing in for Gail Simmons)
and chef Roberto Ivan
- The episode's initial airing ran for an hour and fifteen
minutes, rather than the usual hour. The extended version showed
Marcel sharply telling Betty to hold service on his dish after she
announced she was going to begin service. Prior to Marcel's comment
to Betty, an off-screen voice can be heard saying that they were
not ready yet and an off-screen contestant can also be heard
confirming that they were holding service. The other contestants
refused to assist Marcel with service until he apologized to Betty
which he did. The condensed version of this episode cut out the
other contestants refusing to help Marcel, but still showed him
snapping at Betty and his subsequent apology.
- Michael was the first Top Chef
contestant ever to win both the Quickfire Challenge and the
Elimination Challenge in the same episode.
- First aired January 3, 2007
Episode 10: Unhappy Customers
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a snack using three Kraft Foods products: mayonnaise, barbecue
sauce or Italian dressing.
- WINNERS: Sam (Southern Kraft Sandwich with
Tempura Shrimp, Pickled Peaches & BBQ Aioli) and
Marcel (Lamb Kebab with Curried Kraft Mayo,
Endives & Tomatoes).
- Elimination Challenge: Divided into two teams, the contestants
must devise a concept, interior
design and menu for a raw restaurant space.
Sam and Marcel, as the Quickfire winners, chose their teams.
Similar to Restaurant
Wars of Season One.
- Lalalina (Italian Family Style): Sam, Mike and
- Course 1: Fried Meatball on Crostini with Parsley Pesto
- Course 2: Linguini with Walnut Parsley Pesto & Roasted
- Course 3: Roasted Pork Loin, Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
& Creamy Polenta
- Course 4: Watermelon "Gnocchi" with Cabrales & Asiago
- M.E.C. (Upscale Diner): Marcel, Elia and Cliff
- Course 1: Barbecue Coffee Chicken Wing
- Course 2: Tempura Vegetables & Mozzarella with Cornichon
- Course 3: "The Best Burger Ever" with House Made Chips
- Course 4: Oreo Lemon Pie
- WINNER: None (Marcel's dish was selected as
the featured dish on Bravo's Web site). ELIMINATED:
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Mike Yakura (Quickfire
and Elimination Challenges)
- First aired Jan. 10, 2007
Episode 11: Sense and Sensuality
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a dish using Nestlé chocolatier
- WINNER: Sam (Shrimp & Banana with
Chocolate Chipotle, Black Bean & Cilantro Pesto Sauces).
- Elimination Challenge: Create a romantic 5-course menu for celebratory
couples in Santa
Barbara. Sam, as the Quickfire Challenge winner, was
allowed to choose which course he wanted to execute and which
proteins he was going to use.
The remaining contestants were not allowed to use the same proteins
that Sam chose. Sam elected to cook the first course and use
lobster and scallops
as his proteins.
- Course 1 (Sam): Seared Scallops with Lobster Plum Sauce &
- Course 2 (Ilan): Fideos with Clams & Saffron
- Course 3 (Marcel): Salmon with Celeriac & Beets
- Course 4 (Cliff): Sirloin with Lentil Puree
- Course 5 (Elia): "The Kiss": Chocolate Mousse with a Chocolate
Heart served on a Pastry Heart
- WINNER: None (Ilan's dish was selected as the
featured dish on Bravo's Web site). ELIMINATED:
None. DISQUALIFIED: Cliff.
- Hazing Incident: After the Elimination Challenge, but before
the Judges' Table segment, Cliff, Elia, Ilan and Sam got drunk and
decided to forcibly shave Marcel's head. Cliff approached a
sleeping Marcel and wrestled him to the ground. Marcel freed
himself from Cliff's hold and slept in a bathroom. Ilan videotaped
the incident with a video camera borrowed from production and can
be heard in the recording encouraging the other contestants to use
the clippers on Marcel. The next day, Cliff was disqualified from
the competition, as the show's rules expressly forbid contestants
to touch one another in an aggressive manner. However, it is
mentioned that during the judges' deliberation that Cliff's dish is
the weakest of all five, and that he likely would have been
eliminated at the Judges' Table anyway. Tom Colicchio said in his
blog post for the episode that he was willing to send home all of
the contestants involved except for Marcel, holding them all
accountable either for their actions that escalated the situation,
or their decision not to speak up for Marcel while he was calling
for help. But the producers stepped in, not wanting to end the
season on a sour note - without a final competition and with what
would've been an anticlimactic ending giving the title of Top Chef
to Marcel by default.
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Eric Ripert
- First aired January 17, 2007
Episode 12: Hawaii Finale, Part 1
- Quickfire Challenge: None
- Elimination Challenge: Create two dishes based on classic
Hawaiian dishes with a twist. Each
chef must combine their signature style with traditional Hawaiian
flavors and cuisine.
- ADVANCING TO FINAL TWO: Marcel (Hamachi Poke
with Pineapple Poi; Salmon Lomi Lomi with Tomato Foam, Scallion
Oil, Chili Water & Lotus Root Chip) & Ilan
(Morcilla & Squid Lau Lau; Saffron Haupia Frita).
- ELIMINATED: Sam (Opakapaka Poke with Sea
Beans; Marscapone Mousse with Hawaiian Salted Coconut Milk &
Citrus Tuile) & Elia (Snapper Steamed in Ti
Leaves; Ahi Poke with Olives, Capers & Lemon Confit).
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons and Alan Wong.
- First aired January 24, 2007.
- While the judges were deliberating, they stated that it was too
difficult to find a dish that tasted bad, so instead of choosing
two losers they decided to choose two winners.
- The judges felt that Elia did not listen to the challenge, so
she was easily eliminated. Because Marcel was the favorite, the
judges had to decide between Sam and Ilan over who else to
- After the Elimination Challenge, but before judges' table,
Ilan, Sam and Elia discussed how rude they felt Marcel had been in
the kitchen during prep time. At that time, Ilan encouraged Elia to
accuse Marcel of cheating in front of the judges. At the judges'
table before the final decision was announced, Ilan spoke first,
with Elia making the actual accusation, about their perception of
Marcel's "cheating." However, neither Elia or Ilan offered any
evidence. Colicchio bluntly responded to their accusations that
kitchen behavior meant nothing to him, he was only concerned about
- During this episode, it was revealed that Sam
was voted Fan Favorite.
- The Hawaii episodes were filmed in December 2006, several
months after filming concluded in Los Angeles.
- Attack on Marcel: Before this episode aired, news emerged that
Marcel was attacked and permanently scarred in a Las Vegas
nightclub by an unhappy viewer. The female assailant walked up to
him at the bar, verified his identity as the Top Chef contestant,
and struck him with a bottle. The result was thirty stitches and a
"one inch scar over his left eye."
Episode 13: Hawaii Finale, Part 2
- Quickfire Challenge: None
- Elimination Challenge: Prepare a five-course meal to be served
to the usual judges' panel and five additional guest judges at one
of two restaurants in the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Ilan
cooked at Donatoni's Restaurant while Marcel cooked at
- The judges compared Ilan's dishes to Marcel's, as follows:
- 1st course: Pincho of Pan Con Tomate with
Angulas, Osetra Caviar & Tomatillos (Ilan) vs. Sea Urchin &
Meyer Lemon Gelee with Fennel Cream, Caviar & Kalamata Oil
(Marcel). Winner: Marcel
- 2nd course: Macadamia Nut Gazpacho with Pan
Roasted Moi (Ilan) vs. Cucumber & Radish Salad with Citrus Yuzu
Vinaigrette (Marcel). Winner: Ilan
- 3rd course: Seared Squab with Foie Gras,
Shrimp, Braised Leeks & Lobster Sauce (Ilan) vs. Hearts of Palm
& Maitake Mushrooms with Kaffir Lime Sauce & Sea Beans
(Marcel). Winner: Tie
- 4th course: Braised & Grilled Beef Short
Rib with Mushrooms & Romesco Sauce (Ilan) vs. North Short Strip
Loin with Garlic Puree Crispy Taro Ball & Micro Greens
(Marcel). Winner: Tie, slight edge to
- 5th course: Tangelo Soup with Hawaiian Fruit,
Surinam Cherry Sorbet & Bay Leaf Fritter (Ilan) vs. Blini with
Kona Coffee Caviar & Hawaiian Chocolate Mousse (Marcel).
Tie, slight edge to Ilan
- WINNER OF TOP CHEF SEASON TWO: Ilan RUNNER UP:
- Judges: Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons, Hubert Keller, Michelle Bernstein, Scott
Conant, Wylie Dufresne, Roy Yamaguchi
- First aired on January 31, 2007
- Previously eliminated contestants Sam, Elia, Michael, Betty,
Mia, and Frank were asked to return as potential sous chefs for Ilan & Marcel. Each returnee
was asked which finalists they would prefer to work with. Elia,
Michael and Betty chose Ilan. Sam, Mia and Frank chose Marcel. Ilan
and Marcel were then allowed to choose two chefs. Marcel chose Sam
and Michael and Ilan chose Elia and Betty.
- At Judges' Table, Hubert Keller represented the collective
panel of guest judges.
- During the episode, viewers chose Ilan to win over Marcel in a
- Bravo VP: “we did not alter the integrity of what
happened” with Marcel hazing; no reunion due to viewer
reaction, Reality Blurred, Feb. 8, 2007
- Photo and description of the Kyocera knife
- Friday's Complete Menu: Sandwiches
- Episode 8 Bonus - Elia's Friend
- ; 
- Tom Colicchio's blog entry on the hazing
- reality blurred + Marcel injured, scarred after a
Top Chef viewer hit him in the face with a bottle
Contestant and judge sites
Notable Media & News Coverage