Toranosuke Takagi, known
simply as Tora Takagi (高木 虎之介; born February 12, 1974 in
Prefecture, Japan) is a
Japanese race car
Takagi was heavily influenced by his father, a Touring car
driver. In the early 1980s he began
, competing in his first
championship kart race in 1987. After winning several All Japan
National Kart A2 series races, Takagi ended his kart racing career
in 1991 and began racing Formula
in 1992. In 1993, he began competing in All Japan
, finishing 10th in his
Formula One competition
During his performance in a 1994 race he drew the attention of
, a well-known
Japanese Formula One
he joined the Nakajima Racing team and competed in the Formula 3000
. He was heavily involved in the
team from 1995 until he was chosen as Tyrrell
's Formula One test driver in 1997. He
graduated to a race seat for , becoming the sixth Japanese driver
to compete in F1. Takagi later competed with the Arrows
Formula One team, and his European popularity
was on the rise. However there were organizational and
communication problems between Takagi and both teams, and he left
Formula One at the end of the season.
Post Formula One career
In 2000, Takagi joined Nakajima Racing's Formula Nippon
team, earning eight victories
in ten races, the most dominant performance ever by a driver in the
later competed in CART (Champ Car) for the
Walker Racing team in 2001 and 2002
finishing in a career-best 4th place in Houston, Texas.
transferred to Indy Racing League
and joined Mo Nunn Racing
10th in 2003. In the same year, he competed in the Indianapolis
500, starting in 7th place and finishing in 5th,
earning him the Bank One
Rookie of the Year prize.
After another, largely disappointing season in the IRL, Takagi
returned to Japan in 2005 to compete in Formula Nippon once again,
taking part ownership of the Cerumo team and running one of their
cars in his own name (Takagi Planning with CERUMO). Takagi also was
one of the co-drivers of the #38 Toyota Supra Super GT car,
claiming the series title along with Yuji
- 1987 -- Finished 8th in Japanese A2 National Kart Series championship.
- 1988 -- Finished 4th in Japanese A2 National Kart Series
- 1989 -- won the Japanese A2 National Kart Series
- 1990 -- won the Japanese A2 National Kart Series
- 1991 -- Finished 2nd in Japanese FA National Kart Series
- 1992 -- Won two races in Formula Toyota.
- 1993 -- Finished 10th in his rookie season in Japanese Formula 3 championship.
- 1994 -- Finished 6th in Japanese Formula 3 championship.-- Spot
participation in Japanese Formula 3000
championship from Nakajima Planning, scoring three top-10
- 1995 -- Finished 2nd in Japanese Formula 3000 championship with
Nakajima Planning, scoring three victories.
- 1996 -- Finished 4th in Japanese Formula Nippon championship(ex Japanese
F3000)with Nakajima Planning, scoring two victories.
- 1997 -- Served as test driver for Tyrrell Formula One team. -- Scored one
victory en route to finishing 6th in Japanese Formula Nippon
championship with Nakajima Planning.
- 1998 -- Drove in Formula One in rookie year driving for
Tyrrell. -- Finished in the top-10 twice, including
ninth at Silverstone and Monza.
-- Competed in Formula One with Arrows, scoring two top-10 finishes,including a
career-best seventh at Melbourne (Australian Grand Prix).
- 2000 -- Won eight of 10 races en route to winning the Japanese
Formula Nippon series title with Nakajima Planning .
-- Finished 21st in CART point standings
in rookie year driving for Walker
Racing.-- Finished in the top-10 three times, including a
career-best fourth at Houston.
- 2002 -- Finished 15th in CART point standings with Walker
Finished in the top-10 seven times, including tying career-best
finish with a fourth place at Chicago.
- 2003 -- Finished 10th in Indy
Racing League point standings in rookie year driving for
Mo Nunn Racing. -- Scored nine top-10
finishes, including a season-best third in June at Texas.
seventh and finished fifth in first Indianapolis 500, the highest-finishing rookie. Voted Bank
One Rookie of the Year.
- 2004 -- Competed in IRL with Mo Nunn Racing.
- 2005 -- Competed in Formula Nippon as owner-driver of Takagi
Planning with CERUMO.
Complete Formula One results