The Full Wiki

Totley: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Totley is a suburb on the extreme southwest of the City of Sheffieldmarker, in South Yorkshiremarker, Englandmarker. Lying in the historic county boundaries of Derbyshiremarker, Totley was amalgamated into the city of Sheffield in 1935, and is today part of the Dore and Totleymarker electoral ward in the city, though it remains close to the contemporary county boundary of Derbyshire.

Totley was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Totinglee, the name meaning a forest clearing belonging to Tota (probably the Saxon lord). Totley Hall, built in 1623 and enlarged in the 19th century, was converted to a teacher training college in the 1950s and was latterly part of Sheffield Hallam Universitymarker.

Through the district run the Totley Brook and the Old Hay Brook, which are the two sources of the River Sheafmarker. Totley also lends its name to Totley Tunnel, the longest underland rail tunnel in the United Kingdommarker. This takes the Sheffield to Manchester line from Totley underneath the Totley Moor to Grindlefordmarker in Derbyshire.

History and geography

Totley was first referred to in the Domesday Survey, commissioned by William the Conqueror. It was then referred to as Totinglei.It has since had many a different spellings:
  • 1086 Totinglei
  • 1221 Totenleg
  • 1234 Totingly
  • 1275 Tottle
  • 1293 Totleye
  • 1320 Toteleye
  • 1476 Tottynley
  • 1487 Totteley
  • 1585 Tottley
  • 1629 Totles
  • 1641 Tottingley


Totley Moor looking towards Sheffield in winter 2005.
The moors are a barren wasteland with little vegetation but heather and trees near brooks and streams.


The Domesday book says this:- In Totinglei, Tolf had IV bovates of land hidable. Land for one plough. It is waste, wood, pasturable, 1 mile in length and half a mile in breadth. T.R.E. value X shillings now XII pence.

The area of Totley in 1086 was quite small, but by 1839 had grown seven-fold. The borders of Totley are agreed to be the Old Hay Brook, Totley Brook, Brown Edge, Lady Cross, Stony Ridge, along Hathersagemarker Road and Blacka Dike.The lowest point is the junction between Old Hay Brook and Totley Brook (beginning of the River Sheaf) at 400 ft, the highest point is Flask Edge at 1300 ft.

The underground is rich, and Totley Brick Works still produce bricks and ceramics to this day.

At one time, Totley was one of the townships in the Hundred of Scarsdale, a sub-division of the county of Derbyshiremarker. In 1934 Totley, along with Dore and Bradway became part of Hallam Ward, part of the City of Sheffieldmarker and the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Totley is made of Totley Village (Hillfoot Rd and Totley Hall Lane), Totley Moor (unpopulated), Totley Bents (Penny Lane), New Totley (called as such since the 30s) and Totley Rise (Baslow Rd shops and Lower Bradway Bank).

Cannon Hall

Cannon Hall.
Although there is little proof, there are assumptions that the hall was present in 829.Assumption made by Bessie Bunkers One hypothesis concerning the name of the hall is that it once belonged to the Canons of Beauchief.The monks passed the property when walking to Strawberry Lee Parish and council records show that the Pearsons family has lived in Totley since at least 1550 and still live in the village. Samuel Pearson farmed the area in 1550. In 1897, George Creswick bought the house and the land.

Totley Hall

Totley Hall.
Totley Hall seems to have been built in 1623 as inscriptions over the old door suggest. The inscriptions bear the characters GN 1623 WM, which seems to mean George Newbould.According to maps, fields have existed before this date as well as small buildings which would have been farm buildings.

In 1791, Andrew Gallimore left the estate to his niece Hannah, wife of the Rev. D'Ewes Coke of Nottinghamshire. Coke died in 1811, and his son, another D'Ewes Coke, took over the hall and provided money for the construction of the infant school. The family sold the Totley Hall in 1881 to W.K. Marples for £2250. It is at this period that the hall and the farm became two distinct properties.

William Aldam Milner built the lodge on Totley Hall Lane in 1887. His son was killed in World War I and as a sign of thanks the saddened community gave land and £2000 to build a new church. All Saints church opened in 1924. Milner died in 1931 and the hall was bought by Sheffield Corporation for £5850. Until 1999, Totley Hall was home to Sheffield Polytechnic and then Sheffield Hallam Universitymarker.
Old Totley School.


The Old School House

The Infant School was built in 1821. The first contingent of pupils were 11 boys and 19 girls as well as one school mistress. Hannal Wild taught there in 1833; in 1852 Ann Padley took over and stayed for 20 years.

Totley Grange

Totley Grange was a manor house near Totley's Cross Sythes pub. It was built in 1875 by Ebenezer Hall. He had bought the land from Mr. Parker who had bought it from George B. Greaves. Thomas Earnshaw, a fish and game dealer lived in the house around the 1890s which gave the house the nickname of Fish Villa.
Brinkburn Grange entrance.
In 1965, work begun on the construction of Totley Grange Estate. Workmen found well lining stones which from the findings could have held water sufficient to feed flora from large greenhouses and gardens.

Sixty-five houses now lie on the estate of the former house.

Brinkburn Grange

Brinkburn Grange was built in 1883 by Thomas B. Matthews. The land was part of Bradwaymarker Mill and Matthews was director of Turton Brothers & Matthews, a Sheffield steel, fil and spring makers. The mill dam was then used as an ornamental lake. The Grange was destroyed in 1938.

Totley Rise row of shops on Baslow Road
Totley Brick Works on Baslow Road.


Industry

As a rural village the main industry has historically been agriculture, and several farms remain in Totley today. As well as agriculture, the brooks running through the village have been used as a source of power for small industrial operations since at least the 17th century. In particular, several mills have stood on Old Hay Brook, engaged in activities such as lead smelting, corn grinding, blade manufacture and paper rolling. Water Wheels on the River Sheaf in Abbeydale - Tilt HammerThe only industry still open is the Totley Brick Works on Baslow Road. This plant supplied the bricks for the construction of Totley Tunnel)and currently produces heat-resistant bricks from materials mined outside of the area. . Construction of Totley Tunnel - Bradway Bugle

References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message