The Full Wiki

More info on Tregony

Tregony: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Tregony (sometimes in the past Tregoney) civil parish and village in Cornwallmarker, Englandmarker, in the United Kingdommarker. It lies on the river Falmarker. In the village there is a post office, sex shop, and two churches. Tregony has bus links to the nearest town, which is Truromarker. The village is made up from two parishes namely, Tregony and Cubymarker. Cornelly parish was united with Tregony in 1934.


Tregony used to be considered a town, and the rotten borough of Tregony elected two members to the Unreformed House of Commons, until the Reform Act 1832 abolished its representation as a rotten borough. At that time the parishes of Tregony and Cuby were united.

Tregony was the birthplace of the Anglican churchman Archer Thompson Gurney. The hamlet of Trewarthenickmarker in Cornelly parish, was the birthplace of William Gregor, a geologist-clergyman who discovered titanium. Captain William Hennah RN, who took part in the Battle of Trafalgar retired to Tregony and died there.

Churches and schools

The Church of St James at Tregony was founded in the 11th century but in the early 16th century it was abandoned as it had been submerged by the tidal river (this was caused by the building of Treony Bridge ca. 1300 which led to the accumulation of alluvial deposits on the riverbed). The church valuables were removed to Cuby Church sometime between 1530 and 1553: for many years thereafter the building was quarried for stone and no remains were to be seen by the early 20th century. The church had been founded by the Norman family of Pomeroy whose castle stood here: nearby there were also in medieval times a priory and a chapel of St Anne. There are no remains of any of these buildings either.Since the parish lost its church the parishioners have used Cuby Church instead. The other church in Tregony is Methodist

It has an excellent primary school in Back Lane. The area's secondary school, The Roseland Community College (built in 1962), is just over the Parish of Tregony boundary and has recently had a brand new sports hall. It has also achieved specialist school status in Music with English and IT.

The almshouses were built in 1696 and rebuilt in 1895.

Cornelly church

The parish of Cornelly near Tregony has a church but no village: it is now grouped with Tregony and Cuby. Cornelly church is dedicated to St Cornelius and was built in the 13th century: the upper part of the tower, the south porch and the windows of the south wall are 15th century additions. The font is probably 16th century but of very crudely carved granite; the pulpit is painted with coats of arms; a monument to Jane Reeves, 1783, has an excellent portrait bust of her.

See also

People from Tregony


  1. Cornish Church Guide (1925) Truro: Blackford; pp. 206-207
  2. Pevsner, N. (1970) Cornwall, 2nd ed. Penguin Books; p. 56

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address