The Full Wiki

More info on Tring Park

Tring Park: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Tring Park is a large country house near Tringmarker, Hertfordshiremarker.

The early history of the site is not clear, although a house was in Royalist hands in the times of Charles I. When Charles II came to the throne in the English Restoration in 1660, he gave the house to his Groom of the Bedchamber, Henry Guy. Guy built a new house to a design by Christopher Wren. Guy was sent to the Tower of Londonmarker soon after William and Mary came to the thone in the Glorious Revolution in 1688.

The house passed through various hands until it was rented by Nathan Mayer Rothschild in the 1830s. It was purchased by Baron Lionel de Rothschild for £230,000 in May 1872, with , to serve as his principal country residence. Rothschild extended the house significantly to occupy his guests. George Devey is believed to have worked on the "improvements" at Tring Park between 1874 and 1878, turning the Wren house into a dix-huitième French chateau complete with mansard roof.

Walter Rothschild Zoological Museummarker was built in the grounds in 1889 by Lionel Walter, 2nd Baron Rothschild to house his private collection of stuffed mammals, birds, reptiles and insects. It was first opened to the public in 1892 and is now part of the Natural History Museummarker.

Rothschild Bank moved to the house at the beginning of the Second World War in 1939. The Arts Educational School moved to the house in 1945, and bought the freehold in 1970.

In 1975 the A41 Tring Bypass was opened, splitting the park in two. The house, now known as Tring Mansion, remains the home of Tring Park School for the Performing Artsmarker

Tring Park Today

"Tring Park" now usually refers to that part of the original estate south of the A41. It is public open space, owned by Dacorum Borough Councilmarker and managed by the Woodland Trust. Half of the is undulating grassland, grazed by cattle. To the east and south and the park includes the wooded chiltern escarpment in which there are former carriage rides. One of these, the King's Ride, forms part of the Ridgeway National Trailmarker. In this part of the park are two monuments: an obelisk known locally as Nell Gwyn's monument, and a summer house.

image:Tring park south.jpg|Tring Park looking southimage:Tring park Kings Ride.jpg|Kings Rideimage:Tring park obelisk.jpg|The obeliskimage:Tring park summerhouse.jpg|The summer house

See also



References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message