Trinity College is a
private, liberal arts
college in Hartford, Connecticut. Founded in 1823, it is the second oldest
college in the state of Connecticut after Yale University.
Trinity's purpose is to "foster critical
thinking, free the mind of parochialism and prejudice, and prepare
students to lead examined lives that are personally satisfying,
civilly responsible, and socially useful. "
Trinity College Chapel, Hartford
The Trinity College Raether Library in
a December snow storm
Trinity College Life Science Center in
Trinity was founded in the spring of 1823 as Washington College, in
downtown Hartford, receiving its current name in 1845. Because of
the social dominance of rival Congregationalists
in Connecticut and
because Trinity's founder and first president, the Rt. Rev. Thomas Brownell
, was an Episcopal
, the college had some early
difficulties obtaining its charter from the state. A condition
imposed by the charter was that, despite its Episcopal roots, the
college must prohibit any imposition of religious standards on
students, faculty members, or other members of the college. A year
after opening, Trinity moved to its first campus, which consisted
of two Greek Revival-style buildings, one housing a chapel,
library, and lecture rooms and the other a dormitory. Within a few
years the student body grew to nearly one hundred, a size that was
rarely exceeded until the 20th century.
A new campus
In 1872 Trinity College was persuaded by the State of Connecticut
to move from its downtown “College Hill” location (now Capitol
Hill, the site of the state capitol building) to its current campus
a mile to the southwest. Although the college sold its land
overlooking the Park River and Bushnell Park in 1872, it did not complete its move to its
Gallows Hill campus until 1868.
Trinity’s first plan for the
Gallows Hill site proved to be too ambitious (and too expensive) to
be completely built. Only one section of the proposed campus plan,
the Long Walk, was completed.
Trinity in the twentieth century
Trinity ended the nineteenth century as an institution primarily
serving the Hartford area. The founding of the University of
Hartford in 1877, however, allowed Trinity to focus on
becoming a regional institution rather than a local one.
early years of the century were primarily growth years for Trinity.
Enrollment was increased to 500 men. In 1932 under President
, the Gothic chapel was
completed, becoming the symbol of Trinity College. It replaced the
Seabury chapel which had become too small for the student
Capitol City College in Quezon City, the Philippines, was purchased by the The Episcopal Church of the
United States and renamed Trinity College of Quezon City, after
Trinity College (Connecticut).
The 1920-1943 president of
Trinity College Connecticut was the father of Bishop Ogilby the
head of the The
Episcopal Church of the United States
. Trinity College of
Quezon City has since expanded and been renamed Trinity University of Asia
maintains its strong links with the Episcopal Church in the
, and still proudly proclaims its early links with
Trinity College Connecticut .
In 1968 the trustees of Trinity College voted to make a commitment
to enroll (with financial aid as needed) more minority students.
This decision was preceded by a siege of the administrative offices
in the Downes and Williams Memorial buildings during which Trinity
students would not allow the president or trustees to leave until
they agreed to the resolution.
one year later Trinity College became co-educational and admitted
its first female students, as transfers from Vassar College.
Today, women make up about 50 percent of
Trinity's student body.
The Hartford Campus
The first buildings completed on the current campus were Seabury
and Jarvis halls in 1878. Together with Northam Towers, these make
up what is known as the "Long Walk". These buildings are the
earliest examples of Collegiate Gothic architecture in the United
States, built to plans drawn up by William Burges
, with F.H. Kimball
as supervising architect.
Trinity's other landmark is its distinctive chapel. The Trinity
College Chapel was built in the 1930s to replace Trinity's original
chapel, located in Seabury Hall (now a lecture hall). The Chapel's
facade is made almost entirely of limestone and therefore blends
into the adjacent Downes Memorial Clock Tower. Its primary architect
was Philip Hubert Frohman, of
Frohman, Robb and Little,
who was also responsible for the National Cathedral in Washington, DC.
Another feature of Trinity's campus is its central green known as
the Main Quad, which is bound on the west by the Long Walk, on the
east by the Lower Long Walk, on the north by the Chapel, and on the
south by various dormitories. While a central green is a feature of
many college campuses, Trinity's is notable for its unusually large
size, running the entire length of the Long Walk and with no paved
or unpaved walkways traversing it. Trees on the Quad have been
planted in a 'T' configuration (for Trinity) with the letter's base
located at the statue of Bishop Brownell and its top running the
length of the Long Walk. Tradition holds that the trees were
intended to distinguish Trinity's campus from Yale's. Also located
on the Quad are two cannons used on the USS Hartford
flagship of Admiral David Farragut
during the American Civil
The whole of Trinity's campus is set out on a parcel of land that
is bound on the south by New Britain Avenue, on the west by Summit
Street, on the east by Broad Street, and on the north by Allen
Place. Trinity's former northern border, Vernon Street, has been
transferred from the city of Hartford to Trinity College and closed
off at one end (Broad Street), creating a cul-de-sac within
Trinity's borders. Completed in 2001, and located on what was
formerly an abandoned bus depot adjacent to Trinity's campus, the
Learning Corridor is a collection of K-12 public magnet schools
co-created by Trinity and the governments of Hartford and
Trinity's campus has no through-streets running through it. The
only exception until its recent closure was Vernon Street, at the
north end of the campus. Since the street was transferred to the
school from the city, Trinity widened and repaved it, as well as
installing light posts about every ten feet and adding granite
crosswalks, curbs, benches, and fenceposts. Vernon Street is the
location of most of the campus' cultural houses and Greek
organizations, as well as Vernon Social Center.
Important buildings on campus
- Mather Hall – located just south of Hamlin
Hall (the southern terminus of the long walk), Mather Hall is the
main student center of Trinity College. The building contains the
main dining hall as well as "The Cave" dining hall, a post office
and student mail boxes, a coffee house, as well as meeting rooms
and a large auditorium.
- Raether Library and Information Technology
Center – Trinity's main library was originally built at
the southeast corner of the main quad in the 1950s to replace the
library in Williams Memorial. Additional wings were constructed in
the 1970s and again in 2002, at which time the building was given
its present name. The Watkinson Library, which houses rare books
and manuscripts, occupies an annex of the first floor. The latest
renovations, which enlarged the facility to and more than 1 million
volumes, include an atrium, grand reading room, three new computing
centers, a multimedia development studio, a music and media center,
private study rooms, and a cafe. Though a private academic library,
more than 2,800 outside visitors were recorded between November,
2006 and March, 2007.
- Seabury Hall – This section of the Long Walk
contains classrooms, professor offices, and four dance studios. Its
recent $32.7 million renovation project was completed in 2008.
- Jarvis Hall – This section of the Long Walk
contains single, double and quad dorms, primarily for freshmen and
sophomores. It is rumored that the doubles were originally designed
for students while the singles across the hallway were intended for
their servants. In actuality, the single rooms were single
bedrooms, which opened into living areas, which are currently the
doubles and the hallway, and six rooms retain this layout. As of
the 2008 school year, the massive Long Walk Reconstruction project
has been completed, and the dorms are built in a classic
- Northam Towers – This central tower on the
Long Walk, with its distinctive Fuller archway, connects Jarvis and
Seabury Halls. It contains upperclassman housing.
- Austin Arts Center – The AAC was designed in
the 1960s, and contains art exhibition spaces and a theater.
- Albert C. Jacobs Life Sciences
Center – Built in 1967 in the architectural style of
Brutalism, LSC was designed to be an
abstract representation of the Long Walk. The building houses
Trinity's departments of Biology and Psychology. It contains
several classrooms, an auditorium, teaching labs, research labs,
and a greenhouse.
- Math, Computing, and Engineering Center – MCEC
is located on the Life Sciences Quad (named for the Life Sciences
Center, which dominates the quad) it is made of brick and
sandstone. It housed the computing center until it was moved to the
Trinity is aiming to enhance environmental awareness on campus and
in Hartford through a variety of initiatives. Trinity is a
signatory on the President’s Climate Commitment, and has worked to
reduce green house gas emissions. Their progress so far can be
found on the university’s sustainability website. Students are
involved with programs such as Green Campus and ConnPIRG Campus
Climate Challenge, and even have the opportunity to learn how to
live a green lifestyle in The Treehouse, which is the green theme
residence. Students also have access to ZipCar, UPass, and a bike
sharing program. Trinity received a C on the College Sustainability
Report Card in 2009.
Recently the Wall Street
ranked Trinity as the 43rd highest "feeder school"
for the top graduate school programs. Data compiled by the National Science Foundation
lists Trinity as a liberal arts college that graduates
disproportionately high numbers of future scientists.
Despite the fact that US
News and World Report
has consistently ranked Trinity
among the top liberal arts colleges in the US, in August 2007 the
college joined the "Annapolis
", an organization of more than 100 of the nation's
liberal arts schools, in refusing to participate in the magazine's
In 2009, The Princeton Review
gave Trinity a 95 (out of
100) for selectivity.
Fraternities and sororities
Officially, approximately 20% of the student body are affiliated
with a Greek organization. During the late 1980s and 1990s, under
pressure from the college administration, many of the single-sex
fraternities and sororities merged and formed co-educational Greek
organizations. Among those currently on campus are:
Several other Greek organizations, while active, are not officially
affiliated with the school. They include:
- Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike). The
Epsilon Alpha chapter was established in 1953, and has been
unaffiliated with the school since 1993.
- Zeta Omega Eta: the Alpha chapter
was founded at Trinity College in 2003.
- Theta Delta Sigma A national
co-ed, multicultural Greek society was colonized in 2005.
- Alpha Kappa Alpha The first
African American Women Sorority Incorporated founded in 1908.
- Cha Ki Ryan the Alpha chapter was
founded at Trinity College in 2005.
- Alpha Phi Alpha The first
African American Greek Organization founded in 1906.
- Delta Sigma Theta African
American Sorority founded in 1913.
- The Underground Coffee House: Located below
Mather dining hall, The Underground is a spot for students to
relax, study, and participate in cultural events. It is the only
completely student-run business on campus.
- Gallows Hill Lounge: Once a coffee house with
a Barnes and Nobles bookstore
attached, this Hallden Hall location is currently a student
- Peter B's Cafe: Located on the first floor of
A cappella groups
Trinity's A Cappella
- The Accidentals: The Accidentals were founded in 1993 as an
all-male a capella singing group. Their repertoire includes classic
rock, R&B, barbershop, jazz and pop.
- The Dischords: The Dischords are Trinity’s newest co-ed a
cappella group, organized in 2005. They sing a wide variety of
music ranging from old classics to the soulful one-hit wonders of
the 80’s to contemporary hits of today and tomorrow.
- The Trinitones: The Trinitones are Trinity's first all-female
vocal group. The Trinitones sing a cappella music in close harmony,
in styles ranging from jazzy 1920's music to current popular
- The Trinity Pipes: The Trinity Pipes are Trinity's oldest a
cappella group. They are a small, coed singing group, which was
founded in 1938 by four men from St. Anthony's Hall and sings a
wide variety of music from 1940s close harmony to modern pop and
- The Quirks: The Quirks are Trinity’s newest all-female a
capella group. Founded by two students in 2003 as their Tutorial
College project, the Quirks' repertoire includes close harmony
arrangements of a wide range of musical genres, including jazz,
rock, R&B, and pop.
The Bantams logo.
Trinity College Department of Athletics currently sponsors Men's
Intercollegiate Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer,
Swimming, Football, Lacrosse, Golf, Tennis, Track & Field,
Wrestling, Rowing, Squash and Ice Hockey along with Women's
Intercollegiate Softball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer,
Swimming, Volleyball, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Squash, Tennis,
Track & Field and Rowing. They compete in the NCAA Division III
in most sports.
The Trinity Bantams squash team holds the record for the longest
winning streak in any inter-collegiate sport in the nation, at 202
consecutive victories. The Bantams have won 11 consecutive national
titles since 1998, when they first took home the Potter Trophy.
They have also garnered attention and praise from major media
outlets such as ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and USA Today, among
The Trinity Baseball team won the Division III national title in
2008, after having started the season 44-0, shattering numerous
records in the process. After having been handed their first loss
of the year by Johns Hopkins (to fall to 44-1), the Bantams
clinched the national title by beating Johns Hopkins in the bottom
of the ninth of the championship game. They finished the season
with a 45-1 record.
The Trinity Football team has gone undefeated in several recent
seasons (2003-2005, 2008) and has won the NESCAC
championship in five of the past seven seasons
Both the men's and women's crew teams are consistently ranked
within the top five teams in NCAA Division III competition. In
2008, the women's Varsity 8+ won the Division III NCAA Rowing Championship
placed second as a team and later went on to win the Jeffries Cup
at Henley Women's
Trinity College houses its students in 27 dorms organized into 4
"areas," each with a local area coordinator, who is responsible for
administering the area.
- Area 1 ("Crescent Street"):
- Area 2 ("South Campus"):
- Summit Suites
- Area 3 ("The Long Walk"):
- Northam Towers
- Area 4 ("Vernon Street"):
- Park Place
- High Rise
- North Campus
Trinity College, Rome Campus
Trinity College, Rome Campus (TCRC) is a study abroad campus of
Trinity College. It was established in 1970 and is located in
a residential area of Rome on the
Hill close to the Basilica of Santa Sabina within the
precincts of a convent run by an order of nuns.
The program usually consists of 50-70 students from different
American colleges and universities. Students can either attend TCRC
for a semester or for their summer program. Each semester, there
are usually an range of courses from economics to art history. Most
courses make use of the city of Rome by conducting numerous walking
tours and trips. Every student enrolled in the program is required
to take the appropriate level of study of Italian language
. The program also
regularly makes trips to other parts of Italy, such as
Florence, Venice, and
1905 postcard to a Miss Irene Jackson
(Message: "Here's where you find interesting specimens to analize
- Ham Clark, Headmaster of the Episcopal
- Parveen Shakir, renowned
- Roy Nutt, Co-Founder of IT service
company Computer Sciences
- Edward Albee, playwright
- Charles McLean Andrews,
Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and
Roosevelt Bayley, Archbishop of Baltimore
- Tucker Carlson, senior campaign
correspondent for MSNBC, political commentator, former host of
MSNBC, (Tucker has since said that his time at
Trinity was "wasted.")
- Thomas M. Chappell, co-founder and CEO of Tom's of Maine
- Peter Kraus, Head of Investment
Management Division, Goldman Sachs and Co.
- Edward Miner Gallaudet,
founder of Gallaudet University
- Stephen Gyllenhaal, film
producer and director
- Dean Hamer, discoverer of the
controversial "gay gene" and "God gene"
- Kyle McEvily,owner of nationwide
sweet sausage stands and hearty size nuts inc.
Hennessy,  Chief of Staff Hartford,
- Mel Kendrick, artist
- Chris Boyle, founder, ACME Super
- Barbara B. Kennelly, former U.S. Representative
- Philip S. Khoury, Associate Provost and Ford
International Professor of History, MIT
- Thomas Joseph Meskill,
- Danny Meyer, New York
- D. Holmes Morton, physician and Albert Schweitzer
Prize for Humanitarianism recipient
- Christine C. Quinn, Speaker New York City Council
- Ernie Stires, composer
- Jane Swift, former
Governor of Massachusetts
- J. H. Hobart
Ward, American Civil War
- Linda Wells, editor of Allure magazine
- George Will, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper columnist,
author, and ABC News political
- Mary McCormack American Acteess,
- Van DeLizer Actor, starred on hit
MTV Series, * The City
Trinity College and Hartford
Trinity is located in urban Hartford, within walking distance of
the state capital of Connecticut.
Trinity and the community
Along with Trinity, the Learning Corridor, Hartford Hospital
, and the The Institute of Living
make up the
Southside Institutions Neighborhood Alliance, or SINA. SINA aims to
create affordable housing in Hartford’s Frog Hollow and Barry
Square neighborhoods as well as in the creation of the Learning
Corridor and the Trinity College Boys and Girls Club
Trinity’s library, computer resources and the new Community Sports
Complex are available to Hartford residents. The new sports complex
functions both as a rink for Trinity’s ice
teams and as a public skating rink.
Contributions to the arts
A student run film festival.
is an art cinema with
1930's-style design. An article in the Hartford Advocate
described this non-profit organization, which depends solely on
grants and the efforts of volunteer workers who are paid in free
movies. Cinestudio has been located in the Clement Chemistry
Building since it was founded in the 1970s.
Cinestudio is host to the annual Eyeball Film Festival, in which
young film makers premier their latest works in front of their
peers. The festival has judges, each schooled in film from a
different perspective, who judge the student's films.
Trinity also hosts the annual Trinity International Hip
. A three-day celebration of global hip hop
culture, the festival features lectures, panel discussions,
workshops and live performances. The festival was founded in 2006
with the goal of unifying Trinity with the city of Hartford.
Trinity has a strong faculty in fine arts, including Picasso
scholar and art historian Michael
Image:TrinCollChapelHartford.jpg|Trinity College Chapel
ChapelImage:TrinCollHartfordChap.jpg|Trinity College Chapel
Trinity College presidents
- James Fleming Jones, Jr. 2004
- Borden W. Painter, Jr. '58, H'95 2003 – 2004
- Richard H. Hersh 2002 – 2003
- Ronald R. Thomas H'02, Acting President 2001 – 2002
- Evan Dobelle H'01 1995 – 2001
- Borden W. Painter, Jr. '58, H'95, Acting President 1994 –
- Tom Gerety 1989 – 1994
- James Fairfield English, Jr., '48 1981 – 1989
- Theodore Davidge Lockwood '48 1968 – 1981
- Albert Charles Jacobs H'68 1953 – 1968
- Arthur Howard Hughes, Acting President 1951 - 1953
- George Keith Funston '32 1945 – 1951
- Arthur Howard Hughes M'38, H'46, Acting President 1943 –
- Remsen Brinckerhoff Ogilby 1920 – 1943
- Henry Augustus Perkins, Acting President 1915 – 1916 (brother
of Emily Pitkin Perkins
- Flavel Sweeten Luther '70 1919 – 1920
- George Williamson Smith H'87 1904 - 1919
- Thomas Ruggles Pynchon '41 1883 - 1904
- John Brocklesby, Acting President 1874 1874 - 1883
- Abner Jackson '37 1867 - 1874
- John Brocklesby, Acting President 1866 - 1867
- John Barrett Kerfoot H'65
1864 - 1866
- John Brocklesby H'45, Acting President 1864
- Samuel Eliot H'57 1861 - 1864
- John Brocklesby, Acting President 1860 - 1861
- Daniel Raynes Goodwin 1853 - 1860
- Derek Jeter '43 1853 <=REALLY?></=REALLY?>
- John Williams '35 1848 - 1853
- Silas Totten 1837 - 1848
- Nathaniel Sheldon Wheaton 1831 - 1837
- Thomas Church Brownell 1824 - 1831
Notes and references