Tuckahoe is an unincorporated community in
Township, Cape May County, New
constructed in 1920 and renovated in 1962, connects Tuckahoe to
City, its neighbor to the north.
It is also the
headquarters for the Cape May
Origin of the name Tuckahoe
The community of Tuckahoe is named after the wild tuckahoe (the
sclerotium of the fungus Wolfiporia extensa
), also called
Indian Bread, which grew in abundance in this area on the roots of
certain trees and was collected by the members of the Lenape
tribes in the area.
Use of the tuckahoe by local tribes
The tuckahoe was pounded into pulp by local Native Americans
used for cooking and baking, as flour, which served as an
ingredient in their cornbread
Since the tuckahoe was found in great abundance in this area,
members of various New Jersey Lenape tribes would visit this
location to collect them.