The Full Wiki

Advertisements

More info on Tuguegarao City

Tuguegarao City: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Tuguegarao City is a city in the province of Cagayanmarker, Philippinesmarker. It is the capital city of Cagayan & the regional capital of Region 2, made known to be the Premier Ibanag City. It is located on a peninsula in the Cagayan Valley. It is sheltered by the Sierra Madre Mountains in the East; Cordilleras in the West; and, the Caraballomarker Mountains in the South. It grew on the banks of the Cagayan River and the Pinacanauan River, near the southern border of the province.

The current population is 129,539. Most people are Ybanags, Ilocanos, Tagalogs, Itawes, Pampangos and many other Filipino Ethniticities. Many are also of Chinese and Hindu descent.

The highest recorded temperature in the Philippines and of the Western Pacific Region was in Tuguegarao on April 29, 1912 at 42.2°C (108°F). Average temperature during March and April is 38°C, one of the highest in the Philippines.

The Former Senator Eulogio Balao is a native of this city.

Barangays

Tuguegarao City is politically subdivided into 49 barangays.

  • Annafunan East
  • Annafunan West
  • Atulayan Norte
  • Atulayan Sur
  • Bagay
  • Buntun
  • Caggay
  • Capatan
  • Carig Norte (Reyes)
  • Carig Sur (Carig)
  • Caritan Centro
  • Caritan Norte
  • Caritan Sur
  • Cataggaman Nuevo
  • Cataggaman Pardo
  • Cataggaman Viejo
  • Centro 1 (Bagumbayan)
  • Centro 2 (Poblacion)
  • Centro 3 (Poblacion)
  • Centro 4 (Poblacion)
  • Centro 5 (Bagumbayan)
  • Centro 6 (Poblacion)
  • Centro 7 (Poblacion)
  • Centro 8 (Poblacion)
  • Centro 9 (Bagumbayan)
  • Centro 10 (Riverside)
  • Centro 11 (Balzain East)
  • Centro 12 (Balzain West)
  • Dadda
  • Gosi Norte
  • Gosi Sur
  • Larion Alto
  • Larion Bajo
  • Leonarda
  • Libag Norte
  • Libag Sur
  • Linao East
  • Linao Norte
  • Linao West
  • Namabbalan Norte
  • Namabbalan Sur
  • Pallua Norte
  • Pallua Sur
  • Pengue-Ruyu
  • San Gabriel
  • Tagga
  • Tanza
  • Ugac Norte
  • Ugac Sur


History

Origin of Name

There are several versions of the origin of the name, Tuguegarao. One is the abundance of "tarrao" trees in the area. Another is "garrao" meaning swift current, possibly of the Pinacanauan River. Another is from the word "tuggui" meaning fire. Another recorded version is, the town was formerly called Twerao by the people of the northern towns. Still another is that the name Tuguegarao comes from two Ibanag words "tuggui" (fire) and "aggao" (day), possibly referring to a daytime fire that happened in the town. The origin of the city's name is unclear.

Founding of the Town

Saints Peter & Paul Metropolitan Cathedral
It was a small settlement, in terms of population but was big in territory until 1850s. It was governed as a barangay until the Spaniards gave it the status of mission pueblo established May 9, 1604, making it one of the political units of the province of Cagayan, which then included all the territory which later became the province of Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya and Quirino.

As a mission-pueblo and with assigned encomenderos to Tuguegarao, the inhabitants were made to pay taxes in the form of poultry products and other foodstuffs. Resentment flared. The people of Tuguegarao revolved in 1605, killing the encomendero. Again, the people of Tuguegarao revolted in 1718 and then 1761 with a leader named Rivera.

Tuguegarao in the 1980s and 1990s

The year 1983 marked the quadricentennial celebration of the establishment of the Civil Government of the Province of Cagayan. In the week long celebration held in Tuguegarao, several Ministers visited the town and province.

New barangays had been formed, so that by 1981, Tuguegarao had 49 barangays, 12 of which were urban. The late 1980s saw the gradual expansion of the urban core of Tuguegarao to the outlying barangays of Ugac, Caritan and Atulayan. With the fast rising prices of real estate in the Poblacion. Residents found it very profitable to sell their houses and lots in the Poblacion and to buy lots in the barangay surrounding the Poblacion, so that they would still be near the market, the schools, their offices and business, the church, the stores and recreation spots.

By 1980, Tuguegarao had a population of 73,507. The increase in population could be attributed to various factors. One is the increasing peace and order problems in the other towns in the region, driving the people to Tuguegarao, which relatively is free of the insurgency problem with the visible presence of the military and due to the town's geographic location. Another factor is the presence of the schools, whose quality of education is highly comparable to that of Metropolitan Manila. Others come because of trade and industry. Another reason is the completion of the Maharlika Highway, which made Region 02 more accessible. Of very great consideration is the town's tremendous improvement in social services and infrastructure facilities since 1975.

Tuguegarao's sky line has greatly changed over the years. In the 1980s and 1990s, there are multi-story buildings in the Poblacion, landscaped schools and homes, cable television, air-conditioned buses, jet flights, telegraph and telex services, door-to-door delivery services, domestic and overseas long-distance calls, luxurious social amenities and other trappings of a highly urbanized town.

Further Development

Buntun Bridge
The city developed gradually, then more rapidly after the provincial capital was transferred from Lallomarker, in 1839. It was occupied by American troops on December 12, 1899.

During World War II, the city was captured by the Japanesemarker on December 8, 1941, and its airfield was of some significance; the city and airfield were bombed by the US and Philippine regularly between January and May 1945. The Japanese had left by the time Filipino guerrillas helped by entering the town of the Philippine Commonwealth troops came in early June; the town was officially liberated on June 25, 1945.

Tuguegarao was once the only first class municipality in the province of Cagayan. It has served as the provincial capital of Cagayanmarker since 1893 because of the notable socio-economic progress of the town. In 1975, having adequate facilities and amenities aside from being the region's geographic center and having capabilities of serving as the administrative seat of government for the region, Tuguegarao was declared the regional capital of Region II (Cagayan Valley).

The city also boasts colonial buildings like the Saints Peter and Paul Metropolitan Cathedral built in 1761 to 1766 under the supervision of the Spanish Dominicans who came to evangelize Cagayan Valley. The Diocese of Tuguegaraomarker was created by Pope Pius X on December 6, 1911. The cathedral edifice suffered destruction during World War II and as a result lost its pipe organ, three wooden retablos, pulpit,wooden choir loft and the painted wooden ceiling all of which were approximately from the early 18th century. The old convent adjacent to the cathedral church was also razed to the ground during the war and was demolished to make way for a new one. The cathedral was rebuilt by the Belgian Mons. Constance Jurgens. The traditional ringing of the cathedral bells for the Angelus and during Mass is still being practiced today. The oldest brick structure is also found in the city. The Ermita de Piedra de San Jacinto dedicated to Saint Hyacinth is the first parochial building to be built by the Dominican fathers in Tuguegaraomarker. The current structure is the latest in a process of rebuilding beginning in 1724 until 1892 when it was rebuilt after being destroyed in an earthquake. The chapel wasn't damaged during the war and as a result retains its original wooden retablo which dates back to the 18th century.

Tuguegarao as a component city was affirmed in a plebiscite held on December 18, 1999, with Randolph Sera Ting as the first city mayor. As of July 2, 2007, Delfin Telan Ting (who was then a municipal mayor from 1988 to 1998) has been elected to become the 2nd city mayor.

Education

Universities and Colleges

There are several universities and colleges that reside in the city. Majority of the universities and colleges of the Province of Cagayanmarker are in Tuguegarao. The following are the universities and colleges:

  • AMA Computer College marker
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao (College of Nursing)
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao(offers college of law course)one of best performing law school in the Philippines (Main Campus)
  • Credo Domini College
  • John Wesley College


Moreover, there are numerous technological institutes and vocational institutes that are in the city.The TESDA offers short-term courses to all Cagayanos

Elementary and High Schools

There are many public and private schools here in Tuguegarao.

  • Annafunan Elementary School
  • Tuguegarao East Central School
  • Atulayan Elementary School
  • Bagay Elementary School
  • Buntun Elementary School
  • Capatan Elementary School
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao/ Grade School Department
  • Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao High School Department
  • Cagayan National High School
  • Carig Elementary School
  • Carig Norte Primary School
  • Caritan Norte Elementary School
  • Cataggaman Elementary School (arguably the best Non-Central School)
  • Cataggaman National High School
  • Cataggaman Nuevo Primary School (Under Construction)
  • Dadda Primary School
  • Gosi Elementary School
  • Gosi National High School
  • John Wesley College High School Department
  • Larion Alto Elementary School
  • Larion Bajo Elementary School
  • Leonarda-Pengue-Ruyu Elementary School
  • Libag Elementary School
  • Linao Elementary School
  • Linao National High School
  • Methodist Christian School
  • Montessori de Cagayan
  • Namabbalan Elementary School
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help Montessori School (Grade School)
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help Montessori School (High School)
  • Pallua Elementary School
  • Pardo Elementary School (Cataggaman Pardo)
  • San Gabriel Elementary School
  • Tagga-Dadda Elementary School
  • St. Clare Montessori School
  • St. Paul University Philippines Grade School Department
  • St. Paul University Philippines High School Department


  • Tuguegarao Central Elementary School (Tuguegarao West Central School) / School of the Future
  • Tuguegarao City Science High School (new school)
  • Ugac Sur Elementary School
  • University of St. Louis Grade School Department
  • University of St. Louis High School Department


Daycare Centers

Tuguegarao City has 63 Barangay Daycare Centers operated by the City Social Welfare and Development Office (devolved under the National Department of Social Welfare and Development). Currently, there are about an estimated 2,900 Daycare Pupils who are enrolled. Moreover, there are also several privately operated daycare centers that are scattered in the city.

Specialized Education

Far East Christian Deaf Academy provides education from pre-school to middle school operated and funded by the Church of the Living God at Sharon Village, Barangay Cataggaman Nuevo.

International Students

Students from China, Congo, India, Nigeria, Pakistan and South Korea have come to study at St. Paul University Philippines and Cagayan State University. Most of the international students have come to study degrees such as Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Secondary Education and Doctor of Medicine.

Government

Current Elective City Officials (Fiscal Year 2007-2010)

4th City Council Seal


Position Name
City Mayor Delfin Telan Ting
City Vice-Mayor Danilo Lingan Baccay
City Councilors































Rosauro G. Resuello, CPA, M.Div.
Eliseo B. Ave, Ph.D.
Perla C. Tumaliuan, MPA
Estelita U. Dayag
Michael S. Ting
Bienvenido C. de Guzman II
Atty. Engelbert C. Caronan
Atty. Noel A. Mora
Ronald S. Ortiz
Loreto B. Valdepeñas, Ll.B.
Atty. Segundo P. Urata, MEd, MBA, DPA, PhD
Jonas T. Taguiam (July 2007-November 2008) / Anthony C. Tuddao (November 2008 - Present)
Ex-Officio

City Councilors
Hilario Larry S. Ting
Jasmine Nicole A. Cabugos


City Department Heads

  • Romeo Q. Allam (City Secretary)
  • Miguel F. Lim, CPA (City Administrator)
  • Maria Fe B. Agu-Villania, CPA, CSEE (City Planning & Development Coordinator)
  • Buenaventura F. Lagundi (City Treasurer)
  • Josephine B. Nagui, CPA (City Accountant)
  • Juanito Calubaquib (City Budget Officer)
  • Carolyn S. Mallillin, MBA (City Civil Registrar)
  • Josephine A. Avena (City Assessor)
  • Engr. Emilio Matanguihan, MPA (City Engineer)
  • Dr. James C. Guzman, MHA (City Health Officer)
  • Atty. Edwin Pascua (City Legal Officer)
  • Engr. Danny B. Cuarteros, MBA (City General Services Officer)
  • Dr. Pastor C. Tumaliuan, MPA (City Veterinarian)
  • Dr. Ray Dulig, MHA (Chief of Hospital, People's Emergency Hospital)
  • Engr. Evangeline P. Calubaquib, DPA (City Agriculturist)
  • Myrna, Guzman-Te, RSW (City Social Welfare & Development Officer)
  • Engr. Leonard A. Molina, Ll.B. (Local Government Operations Officer V)
  • Hon. Rene Baculi (MTCC Branch I & II Judge)
  • Hon. Norman Gañac (MTCC Branch III & IV Judge)
  • Atty. Emerito B. Quilang (City Prosecutor)
  • P/Supt. Rudolph Brillantes (City Chief of Police)
  • S/Insp. Neil Caranguian (City Fire Marshall)
  • S/Insp. Ceferino P. Siongco (City Jail Warden)
  • BFP/Assistant. Micheal Necerio(BFP Assistant)


References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message