The Full Wiki

Turf Moor: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Turf Moor is a football stadium in Burnleymarker, Lancashiremarker. It is the home ground of English football club Burnley F.C., who have played there since 1883.

It is situated on Harry Potts Way in Burnley, and has a capacity of 22,546, all seated. Its four main stands are the James Hargreaves Stand, the Jimmy McIlroy Stand, the Bob Lord Stand and the Cricket Field Stand.

Its first game saw Burnley play Rawtenstall in 1883 shortly after the club had moved from their original premises at Calder Vale. It is one of the oldest football grounds still in use in the United Kingdommarker, behind only Preston North End's ground, Deepdalemarker and Bramall Lanemarker.

The record attendance at Turf Moor came in 1924 when Burnley played Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup with 54,755 people attending.

New Burnley director, Brendan Flood, has stated that the ground will go through further redevelopment, and the plans were publicly released on 24 July 2007. It will be a major development, costing £20m. The plans - which would incorporate the redevelopment of the Cricket Field Stand and the moving of the players' entrance tunnel, have been put on hold until the current financial climate improves. With a further development of a second tier on the Bob Lord stand now that Burnley have finally reached the Premier League once again for the first time since 1976 the anticipated capacity of Turf Moor will eventually be 28,000 to cope with extra fans.

History

Turf Moor in 1905
Turf Moor is located on the site of an old Roman settlement. An aquaduct still exists today and is located under the Jimmy McIlroy Stand. Burnley Football Club played at Calder Vale but in September 1883, the cricket club extended an invitation to the newly formed Burnley Football Club. The club stumped up the £65 costs to move, and Turf Moor became the home of Burnley. Burnley's first game at Turf Moor was against local side Rawtenstall, who beat Burnley 6–3.

Just over a year after moving to Turf Moor, the club bought a seated grandstand that could seat around 800 supporters, and a two-sided uncovered terrace that could hold around 5,000 supporters.

In 1908 the club built two covered stands to shelter fans from the weather, running along both lengths of the pitch, the Brunshaw Lane Stand, where the Bob Lord Stand is today, and the Star Stand, where the James Hargreaves Stand is today.

Turf Moor in the 1930s


In 1922 Turf Moor hosted its only ever FA Cup semi-final when Huddersfield Town beat Notts County 3–1.

During an FA Cup third round game against Huddersfield on 24 February 1924, Turf Moor achieved its all-time record attendance of 54,755.

In 1927 Turf Moor hosted an international match when England played Wales. Within the ranks of England players that day were two Burnley players, Louis Page and Jack Hill, who captained the side. Arthur Sutcliffe, a Burnley director, also managed the England side that day. England lost 2–1, and Hill scored an own goal.

The Star Stand can be seen with a roof attached


The famous Longside was finally finished in 1954, with a roof being fitted to the stand costing around £20,000. The Longside had replaced the Star Stand in the years between the world wars, but only the lower areas of the stand were concreted. This had changed by 1954, when the remainder of the stand was concreted over and the roof fitted. At the same time the club installed floodlights.

The Longside


In 1970 the Bee Hole End was redeveloped, increasing its size by adding a top layer to the the southern half of the terracing. It remained uncovered until it was demolished thirty years later. It could not have a roof added, as the foundations were built on the old Bee Hole Mine and would not be able to hold the extra weight.

Next was the Cricket Field Stand, which was rebuilt in 1969 at a cost of £180,000. The new stand, which still exists, was built to house the changing rooms for both home and away teams, baths and the referee's and linesmen's changing rooms.

The view from the Bee Hole End


In 1974 chairman Bob Lord paid for the relaying of the Turf Moor pitch, incorporating new drainage technology. The pitch was raised and the slope that been ever-present since the club had arrived at Turf Moor was removed. He then replaced the Brunshaw Road Stand, with a new all-seater stand named after himself, which was opened in 1974 by the then prime minister Edward Heath. The stand would hold 2,800 supporters and cost £480,000 and contained the board room and a number of luxurious seats for Burnley's and visiting clubs' directors.

The Bee Hole End in 1990


After the Taylor Report had stated all grounds must become all-seater stadia, the Longside and Bee Hole stands' days were numbered, and in 1994 the club announced the redevelopment of the two standing areas.

On 16 September 1995 the Longside watched its final game against Hull City, a game that Burnley won 2–1 in front of a crowd of 10,613, and it was demolished and the James Hargreaves Stand replaced it. By April 1996 the stand was ready and then work began on the Bee Hole End. The new "twin" two-tier stands cost £5.3 million, and the whole ground was reopened, with its newest stand named the Jimmy McIlroy stand, in September 1996.

In May 2007 Turf Moor hosted a friendly international between England and Albania, and although the game was not officially recognised as a full international, a number of England first-team players played in the game.

Stands

The James Hargreaves Stand

James Hargreaves (North) Stand

Constructed: 1996

Capacity: 8,154 (seated)

The James Hargreaves Stand was opened on 23 April, 1996, replacing the famous Longside (see below). This is now the main stand at Turf Moor and runs parallel to the length of the pitch. In between the two tiers is a corporate area, which is also used for functions and events.

The Jimmy McIlroy Stand


Jimmy McIlroy (East) Stand

Constructed: 1996

Capacity: 6,280 (seated)

The Jimmy McIlroy Stand (formerly the Bee Hole End), of which the upper tier is currently the family stand at Turf Moor and was opened in September 1996 as part of the reconstruction that saw the creation of the James Hargreaves Stand, formerly the Longside Stand.



Bob Lord (South) Stand

Constructed: 1974

Capacity: 3,987 (seated)

The Bob Lord Stand was opened in 1974 and was in part paid for by the sale of Martin Dobson. This stand was named after the club's former chairman, Bob Lord. Development of a second tier on the Bob Lord stand is planned should the club reach the Premier League, taking the capacity of Turf Moor to 28,000.

The David Fishwick Stand


The David Fishwick Stand (West) Stand

Constructed: 1969

Capacity: 4,126 (seated)

The David Fishwick Stand (formerly the Cricket Field Stand, named so because there is a cricket field behind it) has been present at Turf Moor since 1969. It was originally open to the home supporters of Burnley F.C. but since the 1996/97 season has been used for away fans only, the 2009/10 season will see the stand house both home and away supporters for the first time. The stand is to be replaced by a new 2,500-seater state-of-the-art stand.

Older stands

Until an emotional day on 16 September 1995, when Burnley played Hull City, the Longside and the Bee Hole End stood at Turf Moor.

The Longside Terrace was situated opposite the original main stand. Along with the Bee Hole End, this was where the majority of fans stood. Originally the Longside was unterraced. In 1954 a new roof was added to the Longside, at a cost of £20,000. Opposite the Bee Hole End was the Cricket Field End. This was a covered standing terrace.

The future

In July 2007 Burnley revealed plans for a £20 million redevelopment of Turf Moor and the club's training facility at Gawthorpe Hallmarker. This includes a new stand at the Cricket Field End to accommodate 2,500 fans and a redevelopment of the Bob Lord Stand, which will house a cinema within it. It is planned to move the changing rooms to the home fans' (rather than, as currently, the away fans') end of the ground. Other planned improvements include a new club superstore and other retail outlets, new business offices on the site of the current club shop, and a new hotel. With a further development of a second tier on the Bob Lord stand the anticipated capacity of Turf Moor will eventually be 28,000.

This investment has been linked with the emergence of new director Brendan Flood, although no details of the precise source of the funding have been made public. Work was expected to start in late 2007 and finish in time for the 2010 season. And the £60 million received from promotion to the Barclays Premiership is expected to last 10 years according to manager Owen Coyle.

International matches



References

  1. http://www.skysports.com/socceram/media/video/0,21631,12612_5304458,00.html
  2. http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1431058,00.html
  3. http://www.skysports.com/socceram/media/video/0,21631,12612_5304458,00.html
  4. http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1550541,00.html
  5. http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1710731,00.html
  6. http://www.skysports.com/socceram/media/video/0,21631,12612_5304458,00.html


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message