The first USS Columbia of the United States Navy was a 50-gun sailing frigate.
built at Washington Navy
was laid in
1825, but as was typical of much Navy construction during this
period, she was not launched until 9 March 1836.
On her first cruise, from May 1838 to June 1840 with Lieutenant
George A. Magruder in command, Columbia
rounded the Cape of Good
Hope to become flagship of
Commodore George C. Read
in the East
. She returned to the United States by way of
Horn, becoming one of the first U.S. naval ships to
circumnavigate the globe.
Columbia served as flagship of the
Home Squadron from January to May
1842; cruised on Brazil Station
between July 1842 and February 1844 and in the Mediterranean from May to December 1844. She returned to the
Brazil Station as flagship between November 1845 and October 1847,
and was placed in ordinary at Norfolk Navy
Yard upon her return home.
Except for a cruise as
flagship of the Home Squadron from January 1853 to March 1855, she
remained at Norfolk until the outbreak of the American Civil War
scuttled and burned by Union forces to avoid her capture by
surrender of Norfolk Navy Yard 21 April 1861. Following the close
of the war she was raised and sold at Norfolk 10 October