The Full Wiki

More info on USS Guilford (APA-112)

USS Guilford (APA-112): Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



USS Guilford (APA-112) was a built for the United States Navy during World War II. Named for Guilford County, North Carolinamarker, she was the only U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name.

Guilford was laid down (date unknown) as a Maritime Commission type (C3-S-A2) hull under Maritime Commission contract (MCV hull 873) by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation of Pascagoula, Mississippimarker; launched on 14 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas Lowry Bailey, wife of the Governor of the State; converted to an attack transport by Waterman Steamship Corporation of Mobile, Alabamamarker; and commissioned there on 14 May 1945 with Captain E. R. Gardner in command.

Service history

1945–1946

After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexicomarker, Guilford sailed for Newport, Rhode Islandmarker. Arriving on 22 June 1945 she served as a training ship for pre-commissioning crews until 30 July. Guilford then took on board cargo and troops at Norfolk, Virginiamarker and sailed for the Pacificmarker via San Diegomarker. After off-loading troops at Iwo Jimamarker and in the Japanesemarker home islands, Guilford was attached to "Operation Magic Carpet" on 18 October. In two round trips from San Diego to Guammarker, Saipanmarker, Okinawamarker, and Japan, she transported over 5,000 veterans back to the United Statesmarker for discharge as well as carrying out troops for the occupation of Japan. Returning to San Diego on 6 March 1946 from her final Pacificmarker voyage, Guilford embarked passengers for the East Coast and sailed for Norfolk via the Panama Canalmarker on 15 March. Guilford reached Norfolk on 31 March and decommissioned there on 29 May 1946. She returned to the Maritime Commission on 31 May 1946.

In mercantile service, 1947–1973

Guilford was sold in May 1947 to Pope and Talbot Lines, and was renamed SS P&T Navigator. In 1963 she was resold to the American Foreign Steamship Company and renamed SS American Oriole. The ship was scrapped in 1973.



References



See also




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message