The Full Wiki

More info on Union Canal (Pennsylvania)

Union Canal (Pennsylvania): Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The Union Canal was a towpath canal that existed in southeastern Pennsylvaniamarker in the United Statesmarker during the 19th century. First proposed in 1690 to connect Philadelphiamarker with the Susquehanna River, it ran approximately 75 mi (120 km) from Middletownmarker on the Susquehanna below Harrisburgmarker to Readingmarker on the Schuylkill River. Although construction began in 1792 during the George Washington Administration, financial difficulties delayed its completion until 1828. Called the "Golden Link," it provided a critical early transportation route for the shipment of anthracite coal and lumber eastward to Philadelphia. Although closed in the 1880s, remnants of the canal remain, most notably the Union Canal Tunnel, a hand-built engineering marvel that is the oldest existing transportation tunnel in the United States. The tunnel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.



A canal linking the Susquehanna and Delaware valleys in southestern Pennsylvania was first proposed in 1690 by William Penn, the founder of the Pennsylvania Colony. Nearly a century passed before a route for the canal was surveyed by David Rittenhouse and William Smith between 1762 and 1770, the first canal ever surveyed in the U.S. Spurred by the 1791 discovery of anthracite in the upper Susquehanna Valley, the Pennsylvania General Assembly chartered two companies to undertake the project: the Schuylkill and Susquehanna Canal Company and the Delaware and Schuylkill Canal Company. At the time of the initial construction in the early 1790s, Philadelphia was involved in an intense rivalry with Baltimoremarker for the supremacy as a shipping port. The canal was backed by Philadelphia businessmen as a means to divert commercial traffic from following the Susquehanna downriver to the Chesapeake Bay, its more natural destination.

From west to east, the route of the canal was to follow Swatara Creek upstream from Middletown to Quittapahilla Creekmarker, which it then followed upstream past Lebanonmarker and Myerstownmarker to its headwaters. It then crossed overland to Clarks Run at the headwaters of Tulpehocken Creek, following Tulpehocken Creek downstream to Reading on the Schuylkill River. It was to follow the Schuylkill downriver to the Delaware River at Philadelphia.

Initial construction

Construction began in 1792 under the direction of William Weston, an experienced Britishmarker canal engineer. The first shovel of earth was turned by President George Washington. By 1793, several miles of the canal were dug and five locks were built between Myerstown and Lebanon before financial difficulties caused the work to cease. In 1795 the Pennsylvania Legislature authorized a lottery to raise funds for the canal's construction. The largest canal lottery in U.S. history, it held 50 drawings over the next two decades, awarding $33 million in prize money, with only $270,000 reaching the canal companies.

In 1811 the two canal companies were reorganized and merged as the Union Canal Company of Pennsylvania. Construction resumed in 1821. One of the principal challenges was the construction of a tunnel through the ridge separating the headwaters of Quittapahilla Creek and Clarks Run. The drilling of the tunnel was by hand, using gunpowder to blast though argillaceous slate with veins of hard flinty limestone 80 feet (24 m) below the summit of the ridge. The progress of the tunnel was approximately 15 ft (4.5 m) per week, requiring over two years to complete. Another engineering difficulties was the continual resupply of water at the summit level, a task that was compounded by leakage and required an elaborate pumping mechanism.

Although the initial design called for the construction of a canal from the Susquehanna to the Delaware, the 1825 opening of the rival Schuylkill Navigationmarker from Reading to Philadelphia prompted the Union Canal Company to focus solely on the Middletown-Reading portion of the canal.

The canal was completed in 1828 under the direction of Canvass White, the preeminent canal engineer of the day. Upon its completion it was 8-1/2 ft (2.6 m) wide and had 93 locks. In 1832 a branch canal was constructed northward from the water worksmarker along the Swatara Creek to Pine Grovemarker. The branch canal served as feeder for the summit level as well as allowing the transport of anthracite from the mountains, which became a principal revenue source for the canal operation.


The charter of the canal company allowed it to build lateral railroad lines from the canal to reach coal mines. It built a line from the end of the branch canal to Lorberry Junction in 1830, which was operated by horse power. This connected it to the Lorberry Creek Railroad and brought coal traffic to the canal. In 1844, the track was leased to the Swatara Railroad, which extensively refurbished the right-of-way and began to operate it by steam locomotive in about 1850. 

Operation and expansion

By the 1840s the narrow size of the canal locks prevented the passage of the larger barges that were adopted for use on the Pennsylvania Main Linemarker and Schuylkill Navigation. The existing width restricted barges to . From the 1841 to 1858, under the direction of chief engineer Loammi Baldwin, Jr., the canal was widened to 17 ft (5.2 m) to allow the passage of the larger boats carrying to . In the process of the rebuilding, the tunnel through the summit ridge was shortened to 600 ft (180 m). The widening of the canal allowed for a brief period of prosperity in the late 1850s and early 1860s.

In June 1862 a flood on Swatara Creek damaged the western portion of the canal, completely destroying the Pine Grove feeder upon which the canal company depended for revenue. The flood prompted costly repairs that were compounded with continual water supply problems. The connecting railroad was leased to the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad on July 26, 1862, and sold outright in January 1866. The completion of the Lebanon Valley Railroad in 1857 from Reading to Harrisburg cut into the canal revenues, forcing its closure in 1881.


In April 1950, the Union Canal Tunnel was purchased by the Lebanon Countymarker Historical Society. The tunnel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1974. It was designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1970. On April 19, 1994, the tunnel was designated a National Historic Landmark by the Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt. The tunnel is open to visitors in the Union Canal Tunnel Park.

A restored portion of the canal along Tulpehocken Creek is maintained by the Berks Countymarker Parks System at the Union Canal Towpath Park in Wyomissingmarker west of Reading. This portion contains several restored locks along a towpath now used as a recreational trail. A portion of the canal along Swatara Creek is also preserved at Swatara State Parkmarker.

Points of interest

Feature Coordinates Description
Readingmarker City at the eastern terminus
Pine Grovemarker Borough at the northern terminus of the feeder canal
Lebanonmarker City near the mid-point of the canal
Middletownmarker Borough at the western terminus

See also


External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address