The Full Wiki

University of Idaho: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The University of Idaho is the state of Idahomarker's flagship and oldest public university, located in the rural city of Moscowmarker in Latah County in the northern portion of the state. The U.S. News & World Report ranks UI as a third-tier national university. UI is the state's land-grant and primary research university. The University of Idaho (officially abbreviated UI, but commonly referred to as (the) U of I) was the state's sole university for 71 years, until 1963marker, and hosts the state's only law school, established in 1909 and accredited by the ABA in 1925.

The university was formed by the territorial legislature of Idaho on January 30, 1889, and opened its doors on October 3, 1892 with an initial class of 40 students. The first graduating class in 1896 contained two men and two women. The university presently has an enrollment exceeding 11,000. The university offers 142 degree programs, from Accountancy to Wildlife Resources, including bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and specialists' degrees. Certificates of completion are offered in 30 areas of study.

As a rural land-grant university, UI has the largest campus in the state, located in the rolling hills of the Palouse region at an elevation of 2600 feet (792 m) above sea level. Washingtonmarker State's land-grant institution, WSUmarker, is located eight miles (13 km) west in Pullmanmarker.

History - timeline

On January 30, 1889, Governor Edward Stevenson of the Idaho Territory signed the territorial legislature's Council Bill No. 20, which officially established the UI as the upcoming state's land-grant institution. Nearly four years later, the university opened for classes on October 3, 1892.

  • 1896 - first four undergraduate degrees awarded
  • 1898 - first graduate degree awarded
    • - UI Alumni Association established
  • 1899 - UI opens first summer school in Northwest - June 21
  • 1901 - College of Agriculture established
    • - original Engineering Building opens (originally Applied Science, then Mines, then Engineering) (demolished 1951, unsafe), on site of present Niccolls Building (Home Economics, opened 1952)
  • 1902 - Ridenbaugh Hall completed
    • Department of Domestic Science (later Home Economics) established; first in Pacific Northwest - June 11
  • 1904 - present Art & Architecture South building completed; originally a gymnasium & armory, became Women's Gym in 1928, remodeled for A&A in 1976
  • 1905 - First Greek society in Idaho (Kappa Sigma), comes to the University of Idaho campus on September 30, 1905
  • 1906 - original Admin. Building burns down - March 30 - remains dynamited
    • - Metallurgical Lab completed, became Mines (1950), Psychology (1961), A&A (2001) - Pine St.
    • - Assay Building completed - (later Geology), 1955-84 gallery & museum, demolished in 1984 for Life Sciences North (Gibb Hall)
  • 1907 - Morrill Hall completed - using insurance funds from destroyed Admin bldg. - (originally for Agriculture, then Forestry in 1950) - Idaho Ave @ Pine St.
    • - College of Engineering established in cooperation with the College of Mines
    • - construction of new Administration Building begins
  • 1908 - Olmstead Brothers develop master plan for UI campus
    • - greenhouses established at current site - 6th St. & Stadium Dr.
  • 1909 - new Administration Building opens (Tudor Gothic)
  • 1910 - Arboretum begun by Charles H. Shattuck, head of forestry
  • 1911 - Theodore Roosevelt spoke outside the Administration Building on April 9, 1911 on a platform built of Palouse wheat
    • - College of Engineering formally established - October 27
  • 1912 - North wing of Administration Building completed
  • 1916 - South wing of Administration Building completed
  • 1920 - School of Education established - June 7
  • 1922 - UI joins Pacific Coast Conference - member until mid-1959 when PCC disbands
  • 1923 - current Continuing Education Bldg completed; originally Forney Hall (women's dorm)
  • 1924 - current Life Sciences South building completed, originally Science Building
  • 1927 - current Alumni Center completed, originally Hays Hall (women's dorm)
    • - current steam plant bldg completed - NE corner of 6th & Line St.
  • 1928 - Memorial Gymnasium completed - honors World War I service
  • 1930 - fourth floor added to Morrill Hall
  • 1933 - golf course opens (9 holes)
    • - second 9 holes added in 1968 (5 holes at NW, 4 at E)
  • 1936 - Student Union Building established at former Blue Bucket Inn
    • - Student Health Center completed, originally Infirmary
    • - Neale Stadiummarker completed (earthen horseshoe - wood bleachers), current site of Kibbie Dome
    • - Brink Hall opened; originally Willis Sweet Hall (men's dorm), then Faculty Office Complex (FOC) East, until renamed in 1982.
  • 1938 - Eleanor Roosevelt speaks at Memorial Gym - March 26
    • - Phinney Hall completed; originally Chrisman Hall (men's dorm); FOC West until 1982.
  • 1942 - Gauss ME Laboratory completed - (orig. Kirtley Lab #1: Charles Kirtley was first engineering graduate, class of 1896) - SE corner of 6th & Line St.
    • - Food Research Bldg completed - (orig. Dairy bldg), west side of Morrill Hall, NE corner Line St. & Idaho Ave.
  • 1945 - student radio KUOI-FM (89.3 MHz) goes on the air - November
  • 1948 - inaugural Borah Symposium on foreign policy
  • 1949 - Engineering Building (classrooms) completed - renamed for Dean of Engineering Alan Janssen in 1951
  • 1950 - Agricultural Science building completed
    • - Johnson EE Laboratory completed - (orig. Kirtley Lab #2)
  • 1951 - Music building completed (named for Lionel Hampton in 1987)
  • 1952 - new "I" water tower installed - 500,000 gallons - old tower (60,000 gal. - 1916) to the UI farm
    • - Home Economics building completed - (now Niccolls), on site of old Engineering Bldg, (1901-51, unsafe, demolished)
  • 1954 - boxing dropped as a varsity sport - (national co-champs with Gonzagamarker in 1950)
  • 1955 - Gault-Upham Halls (men's dorms) dedicated - October 15
  • 1956 - Gault Hall arson - 3 fatalities, 4th floor - October 19
    • - Arsonist was reporter for UI student newspaper Argonaut, responsible for other campus fires: convicted, paroled in 1968, & died in 1980.
  • 1957 - UI Library dedicated - November 2 (formerly housed in Admin. Bldg), built on former site of tennis courts
    • - Park Village Apts. completed (married & graduate) - 3rd & Home St. - demolished 2002
  • 1958 - Two Vandals selected in top 50 of 1958 NFL Draft: Jerry Kramer (39th) & Wayne Walker (45th)
  • 1959 - Pacific Coast Conference disbands in spring; UI independent for 4 years
  • 1961 - College of Mines building completed - north of Morrill Hall
  • 1963 - Wallace Complex dormitories (two S.wings, 4 floors each) & cafeteria completed
    • - UI joins the new Big Sky Conference as a charter member, but keeps university (Division I) status with non-conference schedule through 1977.
    • - campus radio station KUID-FM (91.7 MHz) goes on the air
  • 1964 - Physical Sciences building completed
  • 1965 - University Classroom Center (UCC) completed, east of library - closed 2003 - reconfigured as Teaching & Learning Center, reopened 2005
    • - Third wing (NE, 6 floors) of Wallace Complex dorm completed
    • - campus KUID-TV (Ch.12) goes on the air - Idaho Public Television takes over station in 1982
    • - current police substation (originally visitor information center) opens - 3rd & Line St.
  • 1966 - Art & Architecture (North) building completed
  • 1967 - President's Residence (S. side of Shattuck Arboretum) completed
    • - Wallace Complex dorm's final wing (NW, 6 floors) completed
    • - St. Augustine's Catholic Center opens - February - east of SUB
  • 1968 - Buchanan Engineering Laboratory (BEL) completed - (CE, ChE, AgE, EE)
  • 1969 - College of Education building completed
    • - built on infield of MacLean baseball field - new baseball field, Guy Wicks Field, built NW of Wallace dorms.
    • - Theophilus Tower (12-floor dormitory) completed (twin tower cancelled)
    • - golf course's new clubhouse completed
    • - Neale Stadiummarker is condemned; destroyed by arson after the season in November, UI football played its two Palouse home games at WSUmarker's Rogers Field
    • - UI Wilderness Research Center established at Taylor Ranch field station, located in the Idaho Primitive Area (now the Frank Church-River of No Return Wildernessmarker)
  • 1970 - Swim Center & Women's Gymnasium (P.E. Building) completed
    • - fire destroys south grandstand of WSU's Rogers Field in April, WSU's plays all its home football games at Spokanemarker's Joe Albi Stadiummarker on new AstroTurf, UI remains at Rogers Field with reduced capacity.
    • - South Hill Apts (married) opens - first phase
  • 1971 - College of Forestry Building (Natural Resources - 2000) completed - SW corner of 6th & Line St.
    • - Agricultural Science Building addition completed
    • - new concrete football stadium opens October 9th with natural grass field.
  • 1972 - Tartan Turf, similar to AstroTurf, installed in outdoor football stadium
    • - Skiing is dropped as a varsity sport
  • 1973 - College of Law Building completed
    • (renamed Menard in 1984)
  • 1974 - Hartung Theater opens - April - originally the "Performing Arts Center"
  • 1975 - new "Idaho Stadium" enclosed; becomes the Kibbie Domemarker - September
    • - arched roof and vertical end-walls completed for football home opener vs. Idaho State - September 27th
    • - first basketball games in Kibbie Dome - December
  • 1978 - UI descends to Division I-AA (with Big Sky moving up to I-AA from Division II.
    • - alumnus Don Monson hired as head coach of basketball team
  • 1980 - Baseball is dropped as a varsity sport, after over 80 years
    • - follows other Big Sky schools, attributable to Title IX requirements
  • 1982 - men's basketball team advances to NCAA Sweet Sixteen in March, finishes 27-3.
    • - Dennis Erickson begins head coaching career at UI.
    • - Kibbie Domemarker: East End Addition & composite roof project completed.
    • - Idaho Public Television takes over operation of KUID-TV
  • 1983 - Agricultural Engineering building completed - (JW Martin - 1990s) - 6th St. & Perimeter Rd.
  • 1984 - KUID-FM (91.7 MHz) funding is cut by state legislature
  • 1985 - women's swimming dropped as a varsity sport (returns in 2004)
  • 1986 - Life Sciences North building completed - (Gibb - 1993)
    • - men's swimming dropped as a varsity sport
  • 1987 - School of Music named for Lionel Hampton
  • 1989 - Elisabeth Zinser becomes UI's 14th president;
    • - first female university president in state history
    • - new UI Bookstore completed (in parking lot east of SUB)
  • 1990 - original AstroTurf of Kibbie Domemarker is replaced after 18 years
    • - Business Technology Incubator building completed - March - Sweet Ave. & S. Main St.
    • - campus post office station moved from library to new UI Bookstore
  • 1992 - UI receives its own zip code: 83844 - November
  • 1993 - Library's expansion (by 50%) completed in fall - dedicated April 1994
  • 1995 - College of Mines & Earth Resources' McClure Hall dedicated - September
  • 1996 - UI joins Big West, returns to Division I-A after 18 years - July
    • - outdoor track stadium named for new Olympic champion Dan O'Brien - September
    • - Engineering/Physics building dedicated - October 4
  • 1998 - Vandal football team wins first Division I-A conference title and bowl game
    • - women's soccer added as a varsity sport - fall
  • 1999 - renovation of Gauss-Johnson engineering labs completed - November
  • 2000 - Idaho Commons opens January 10, dedicated April 7 - east of UCC (now TLC)
    • - College of Forestry, Wildlife, & Range Sciences (FWR) is renamed - becomes College of Natural Resources (CNR)
    • - A doctored promotional photograph, where the faces of two minority students replaced the faces of white students, was found and removed from the website.
  • 2001 - Cowan Spectrum debuts for basketball - February
    • - an enclosed configuration for basketball in Kibbie Domemarker.
    • - Big West drops football after 2000 - UI becomes a "football only" member in Sun Belt for four seasons (2001-04).
    • - Agriculture Biotechnology Laboratory dedicated - October 28
    • - East entrance to campus completed - Sweet Ave. @ S. Main Street
  • 2002 - Student Recreation Center - opens in April - north of Theophilus Tower dorm.
    • - Budget crisis forces reorganization of colleges - July 1
      • - Letters & Science splits into College of Science and College of Letters, Arts, & Social Science (CLASS).
      • - College of Mines & Earth Resources is eliminated, programs to either Science or Engineering
    • - J.A. Albertson building (College of Business & Economics) - dedicated October 24th
  • 2003 - Living Learning Community - first 5 of 8 dormitories completed on Line Street, east of Theophilus Tower.
    • - Gault-Upham dorms demolished
  • 2004 - Vandal Athletic Center - opens March 19 - dedicated April 30
    • - enhancement of the Kibbie Dome's 1982 East End Addition.
    • - women's swimming reintroduced - fall - (orig. 1972-85)
    • - final three dorms of Living Learning Center completed
  • 2005 - UI joins the WAC for all sports - July 1st
    • - infilled SprinTurf installed on varsity practice fields east of Kibbie Domemarker - August
      • - replaced limited-use natural grass; two fields, each 75 yd. (68.6 m) in length with a goal post, lighting, & fencing; now available for intramurals, misc.
    • - Teaching & Learning Center opens (former UCC (1965-2003))
  • 2007 - Kibbie Domemarker installs infilled "Real Grass Pro" - August
  • 2009- West wall of Kibbie Domemarker is replaced (wood to non-flammable translucent)
    • - new safety features are added


UI has one of the most scenic campuses in the western U.S.marker. The Palouse region has rolling hills with rivers and lakes, with mountains nearby, offering a wide variety of recreational opportunities. The master plan for the UI campus was originally designed in 1908 by the Olmsted Brothers, the sons of Frederick Law Olmsted; the landscape architecture firm from Massachusettsmarker that designed the United States Capitolmarker grounds, Central Parkmarker in New York Citymarker, and many other notable college campuses, particularly in the West.

Administration Building
According to the UI Facts Books, the Moscowmarker campus is an 1,585 acres (16.4 km²) including 253 buildings with a replacement value of $812 million, 10 miles (16 km) of streets, 49 acres (200,000 m²) of parking lots, 1.22 miles (2 km) of bike paths, 22 computer labs, 150 acre (610,000 m²) golf course with 18 holes, 80 acres (320,000 m²) of arboreta, and 860 acres (3.5 km²) of farms.

There are several distinctive areas on campus.

Administration Building

The east-facing Administration Building, with its 80-foot (24 m) clock tower and Tudor Gothic-style structure, was built in 1909 and has become a UI icon. The building holds classrooms, an auditorium, and administrative offices, including the offices of the President and Provost. There were two expansions made to the building, with the north wing added in 1912, and the south wing in 1916.

The original building, a single tall spire, was constructed through the decade of the 1890s and ultimately finished in 1899, but was reduced to embers in late March 1906. Arson was suspected, but never proven. After the fire there was debate whether to rebuild from the remains or start from scratch, however, the remaining structure was eventually deemed infeasible to recover and was demolished with dynamite. ( photo) The original building's steps were saved and currently climb the small hill immediately southeast of the south wing.

In the meantime, classes were held at various sites in Moscowmarker; the Carnegie Library, the Methodist church, and local lodge halls. Insurance policies paid $135,000, but the new building cost twice that. To appease the state legislature, the UI Regents decided to build Morrill Hall first, use it for classrooms, and finance the new administration building over three years.

The new Administration building was designed by prominent Boise architect John E. Tourtellotte. He designed the state's Roman Revival capitol buildingmarker in Boisemarker and other buildings, both public and private. He modeled the new structure after the venerable Hampton Court Palacemarker in Englandmarker. Construction began in 1907.

The 1909 Administration Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, at age 69. Two years out of office, former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt spoke outside the main east entrance of the new Administration Building on April 9, 1911, on a platform built of Palouse wheat.

Hello Walk

Hello Walk

Hello Walk is one of the best-known and traveled pathways on the Idaho campus. But more than being surrounded by trees and grass, it navigates through a rich history of statues, landmarks and traditions. It includes Presidential Grove, where historical figures, such as Teddy Roosevelt and his wife, planted trees; the Spanish War memorial statue who had his hands cut off but reconstructed by a handless sculptor and Administration Lawn that was designed by the same brothers who designed Central Park in New York City.

The walk was named after Alfred Upham, the president of the university in the 1920s. Upham insisted on saying “hello” to all those he passed on his walk from his house — now where the Campus Christian Center is — to the Administration Building where his office was. He then insisted that this act of kindness be required of all students and faculty on campus, which is how the walk acquired its name.

Hello Walk is still used, but the hellos that used to be mandatory are now not often vocalized to strangers.

Idaho Commons

The Idaho Candlewalk Commons, completed on January 10, 2000, is the heart of campus and contains a food court, bookstore, copy center, coffee shop, Credit Union, and convenience store. Additionally, there is study space, wireless internet, laptop checkout, and many student services such as the offices of the Associated Students of the University of Idaho (ASUI), Academics Assistance, and Student Support.

With the completion of the Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) at the beginning of the fall semester of 2005, the second phase, the Commons gained classrooms and completed the vision of a common area where students could learn, study, relax and get university services all in one place.

Student Union Building

The Student Union Building houses Financial Aid, Admissions, New Student Services, the Registrar's Office, the office of the Graduate & Professional Student Association(GPSA) and student meeting rooms. There is also wireless access, laptops available for check-out, a student computer lab, and a movie theater. This was the student common area until the Commons was built in 2000. The UI Bookstore, built in 1989 on a former parking lot, is located directly across the street to the east.

ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center

The Kibbie Dome
UI's multi-purpose "Kibbie Domemarker", home to Vandal athletics, is best appreciated from all angles. Both football and basketball are played here, as well as tennis and indoor track & field. Its Trus-Dek roof system uses wood arches to span 400 feet (122 m) at a height of 150 feet (45 m).

Neale Stadiummarker opened in 1936 as an earthen horseshoe with wooden sideline grandstands. After 32 seasons, it was condemned for structural inadequacies in the summer of 1969. After an idle 1969 season, it was destroyed (by suspected arson) on November 22, 1969. After two years away at nearby Rogers Field in Pullmanmarker, the new "Idaho Stadium" opened on October 9, 1971, with new concrete grandstands; the Vandal football team responded with a victory over Idaho Statemarker, an 8-3 season and the Big Sky title.

Tartan Turf, similar to Astroturf, was installed in 1972; the arched roof and vertical end-walls were completed in time for the 1975 football home opener on September 27, enclosing the stadium to become the Kibbie Domemarker. The seating capacity is 18,000 for football games, 7,000 for basketball games (in a configuration known as the "Cowan Spectrum" since 2001), and 7,500 for concerts. Its innovative roof won the Outstanding Structural Engineering Achievement award from the ASCE in 1976.

The original Tartan Turf was replaced in 1990 and lasted until 2007, when it was replaced with "Real Grass Pro," an infilled synthetic turf (similar to FieldTurf).

Arboretum and Botanical Garden

North entrance to the University of Idaho Arboretum and Botanical Garden
Referred to as "Tree City" or "The Arb" by UI students, the Arboretum is a 65 acre (26 hectare) site features display gardens, ponds, and a variety of trees and plants from Asia, Europe, and North America.

The original Shattuck Arboretum was conceived in 1910 by Charles H. Shattuck, the head of the forestry department. His efforts gradually turned a treeless slope southwest of the Administration Building into a dense forest grove. The aboretum was named for Shattuck in 1933, two years after his death. Until the late 1960s, this area provided the background for left & center field of the MacLean baseball field, whose infield was displaced by the construction of the new College of Education buildings, which were completed in 1968.

The newer portion of the arboretum complex is south of the Shattuck area, in the valley below the president's residence (1967), along the eastern edge of the campus' 18-hole golf course.

Student Recreation Center

Opened in April 2002, the Student Recreation Center boasts a 55 foot (17 m) freestanding climbing wall, as well as a weight training area, cardio, of climbing area, jogging track, and two full-size gyms. The planned Phase Two of the project includes adding a swimming pool, but has been delayed due to funding problems.

The recreation center is located north of the Theophilus Tower dormitory, an area which formerly housed maintenance buildings.

UI Library

The UI Library is the state's largest, with more than 1.4 million books, periodicals, government documents, maps, videorecordings, and special collections. Included are those for Sir Walter Scott, and famous Idahoans like Ezra Pound, Vardis Fisher, Frank Bruce Robinson, and Carol Ryrie Brink.

Directly north of the Memorial Gymnasium and built on the former site of tennis courts, the library opened in 1957, relocating from the Administration Building. The UI post office station was formerly housed in its lower northwest corner; it was moved to the new UI bookstore in 1990. The UI Library was expanded in the early 1990s and rededicated in 1994.

Memorial Gymnasium

Memorial Gym Tower
"Mem Gym" is another UI icon known for its whimisical athletic gargoyles perched along the brick building's ledges. The multi-purpose gym has a modest seating capacity of only 1,500. It opened in 1928 as a memorial to the UI students and alumni who died in World War I (1917-18).

The Memorial Gym was the primary venue for men's basketball until the Kibbie Domemarker was enclosed in September 1975. The women's team hosted its home games in the gym until 2001, when the Cowan Spectrum (inside the Kibbie Dome) was completed. The gym is still in active use today as the home court for the women's volleyball team, and several early season basketball games. It is also used extensively for intramurals and open recreation, as well as for ROTC.

The MacLean baseball field was located directly south of the Memorial Gym, until its infield was displaced by the construction of the College of Education building in the late 1960s. The catcher and batter faced southwest (towards the pitcher's mound); the right field line was just south of the gym, running east-west. The background of left and center field was the Shattuck Arboretum. The new baseball field (Guy Wicks Field) was relocated northwest, to the vast intramural fields near the Moscowmarker-Pullmanmarker highway, northwest of the Wallace Complex dormitories. The batter and catcher now faced southeast, toward campus, an unorthodox configuration resulting in a difficult sun field for the left side of the defense (the recommended alignment is east-northeast). Due to Title IX, varsity baseball was dropped following the 1980 season, but continued for a while as a club sport. The outfield is now the home turf of the women's soccer venue.

The swim center and physical education building (formerly known as the "Women's Gym"), which both opened in 1970, are adjacent to the south side of the gym.

In 1977, the Memorial Gymnasium was added to the National Register of Historic Places after only 49 years.

Under the Elms

Rare Camperdown elms line the walkway between the Music building, Child Development Center and Administration Building. These "upside-down" trees have been on campus for over 80 years and are among few of their kind in the Northwest. The weeping branches and knotty trunk are formed by being grafted upwards.

Steam Plant

Built in 1926 the steam plant provides heat to the university buildings from a single location. Originally burning oil the plant was later modified to burn waste wood chips leftover from local sawmills. The use of wood has significantly reduced the emissions of the plant as well as cut costs to heat the campus. The plant is shut down twice a year for cleaning and maintenance. As a side benefit of the heat generation the pipes carrying the steam are routed underneath campus walkways providing clean and ice free walkways throughout the winter months.

Student life

The University of Idaho is a rural, residential campus, with a number of residence hall communities to choose from on campus as well as fraternities and sororities. Residence halls available for students include Wallace Residence Center, Theophilus Tower, Living Learning Communities, and McConnell Hall. Living on campus is not required at the University of Idaho, but many first-year students choose to live on campus.

There are also apartments on campus for families, married couples, graduate students, law students and non-traditional students. The law cluster, is a group of apartments reserved for law students, allowing for a community close to campus for law students, facilitating study groups.


East entrance to the campus
All students are permitted to have cars on campus, which is also served by public transportation. The nearest airport, Pullman-Moscow, is 5 miles (8 km) west, east of Pullmanmarker. Other nearby airports are Lewistonmarker 34 miles (55 km) away and Spokanemarker 90 miles (145 km) away. The nearest passenger train station is in Spokane, and the nearest bus station is in downtown Moscow.

Student Organizations

Many students participate in a wide variety of clubs and organizations. Clubs range anywhere from the sports to faith based, and everything in between. Palousafest is a fair that brings clubs and students together, and is a way for students to find out more about how to get involved with extracurricular activities. The fair is usually the weekend just before the fall semester starts. The prominent literary journal Fugue is published at the university.


Moscowmarker is a college town of about 21,700 residents. It is located in the rolling hills of the Palouse region of North Central Idaho. The UI campus is adjacent to the southwest side of town; most stores, restaurants, and bars are within easy walking distance.

Degrees & Colleges

From 1894 through fall 2006, the University of Idaho has granted 71,599 bachelor's degrees, 19,028 master's degrees, 2,270 doctoral degrees, 222 honorary degrees, 917 specialist degrees, and 3,157 law degrees.

The university is organized into ten colleges, two of which are exclusively for graduate students (Law & Graduate Studies).

In July 2002, the College of Letters & Science was split into two separate colleges: the College of Science and the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences (CLASS). Concurrently, the College of Mines was discontinued; its programs were split between the College of Science and the College of Engineering.

  • College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
  • College of Art and Architecture
  • College of Business and Economics
  • College of Education
  • College of Engineering
  • College of Graduate Studies
  • College of Law
  • College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences - formed after split of L&S - 2002
  • College of Natural Resources - formerly Forestry, Wildlife, & Range Sciences
  • College of Science - formed after split of L&S - 2002


Moscow enrollment

  • Undergraduate - 8,723
  • Graduate - 1,836
  • Law - 302
  • Resident - 8,040
  • Non-resident - 3,401

Enrollment by college

  • Agricultural and Life Sciences - 1,011
  • Art and Architecture - 509
  • Business and Economics - 1,205
  • Education - 2,096
  • Engineering - 1,789
  • Law - 302
  • Letters, Arts and Social Sciences - 3,862
  • Natural Resources - 751
  • Science - 773

Student demographics

  • Students enrolled from all 44 Idaho counties, 50 states and 92 countries
  • 645 international students
  • Student population is 54.2 percent male and 45.8 percent female
  • 69% In-state students
  • 31% Out-of-state students
  • 2% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 3% Asian/Pacific Islander
  • 1% African American/Non-Hispanic
  • 5% Hispanic
  • 84% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 1% Non-Resident Alien
  • 4% Race/ethnicity unreported
  • 80% had high school GPA of 3.0 and higher
  • 20% had high school GPA of 2.0 - 2.99



  • Associated Students University of Idaho (ASUI)
  • ASUI Center for Volunteerism and Social Action
  • Stellar Sportsmanship
  • Choral groups
  • Concert band
  • Dance
  • Drama
  • Environmental Club
  • Film
  • Fraternities & Sororities
  • Graduate & Professional Student Association (GPSA)
  • Jazz band
  • Logger Sports Club
  • Literary Magazine
  • Marching band
  • Music ensembles
  • Musical theater
  • Opera
  • Radio Station (KUOI 89.3 FM)
  • Student Activities, Leadership, and Volunteer Programs
  • Student Newspaper
  • Symphony orchestra
  • Technology
  • Television station
  • Vandal Friday
  • W7UQ Amateur Radio Club


  • U.S. News & World Report ranks UI, nationally, as a tier 3 school.

  • The university of Idaho self-reports that its average freshman SAT scores are 543.23 (Verbal) and 548.72 (Math).

Fight song

Go, Vandals, Go is the official fight song of the University of Idaho.

The song was originally written by J.M. "Morey" O'Donnell, a freshman at Idaho who later became a prominent attorney in the state. He submitted it for a contest held by the school's student government to choose a new fight song. Previously, the Vandals had used a variation of On, Wisconsin' as its fight song.

Most fight songs are hard to sing because of the fast beat used to make them sound spirited. However, O'Donnell wrote the song almost entirely with whole notes and half notes to make it easy for a large football crowd to sing. He also added a heavy drumbeat to carry the spirit.

For many years, it has been cited as one of the top fight songs in the United States. For example, 2002, Norm Maves, Jr. of The Oregonian described it as "the once and future king of college fight songs, with a fanfare lead-in that could motivate a successful infantry charge."

Go Vandals

Came a tribe from the North brave and bold,

Bearing banners of silver and gold,

Tried and true to subdue all their foes,

Go Vandals! Go mighty Vandals!

Go Vandals go,

Fight on with hearts brave and bold,

Foes will fall before your silver and your gold,

The victory cannot be withheld from thee,

So, all bear down for Idaho,

Come on old Vandals, go!


Idaho, Idaho, Go! Go! Go!

The victory cannot be withheld from thee,

So, all bear down for Idaho,

Come on old Vandals, go!

Let's go!

Presidents of the University of Idaho

Notable alumni

See also


  3. Microsoft TerraServer Imagery
  4. 1907-1957 Historical Events, Centennial 1907 - 2007 College of Engineering, University of Idaho
  5. th
  6. The Borah Foundation at the University of Idaho
  7. Main_page
  8. Today@Idaho - News Article
  9. University removes doctored photo from Internet
  10. About the UI - A Brief UI History
  11. Impromptu Web Query
  12. The University of Idaho Argonaut - LOST AND FOUND: University of Idaho's traditions have come and gone since its opening
  13. About UI Arboreta
  14. Memorial Gym - University of Idaho Athletics Official Site —
  16. University of Idaho - Fast Facts

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address