The Full Wiki

University of Minnesota Duluth: Map

Advertisements
  
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) is a regional branch of the University of Minnesota System located in Duluth, Minnesotamarker, USAmarker. As Duluth's public research university, UMD offers 12 bachelor's degrees in 75 majors, graduate programs in 20 fields, a two-year program at the School of Medicine, a four-year College of Pharmacy program, and a Doctor of Education program.

The chief executive officer of UMD is Chancellor Kathryn A. Martin. She has been Chancellor since November 1995. Chancellor Martin will retire on July 31, 2010.

History

Darland Administration Building
Although the University of Minnesota Duluth didn’t officially make its appearance until 1947, plans to make a strong college in the Duluth area started in the 1800s. The state legislature made blueprints and gathered supplies to build a teaching school for women and in 1895 they announced the starting of the Duluth Normal School. In 1896, the City of Duluth donated of land to serve as a foundation for the Duluth Normal School, and the state legislature donated an additional $5,000 to build the school. The main building of the Duluth Normal School cost a total of $75,000 but these funds were not available until 1900. In February 1901, a large fire caused extensive damage to the school leaving only a couple of walls and doorways standing. Although money had been lost in the creation of the Duluth Normal School, the legislature decided to rebuild.

After the school had been rebuilt, many new additions were made, including new faculty and a new president. In April 1901, Eugene W. Bohannon was appointed president of the Duluth Normal School. In 1902, the school opened for business. Women came to the school to be trained for a highly sought-after degree in education. By 1903, seven women received their diplomas from Duluth Normal School. In 1906, the first ladies dormitories were established and opened, costing the school around $35,000 to build. Living on campus was much cheaper and much easier for everyone. Throughout the next few years, more dormitories, two new wings, and an auditorium were added to the school. By the time these additions were finished, tuition was increased and requirements, such as having a high school diploma, were put in place in order to apply to the school.

In 1921, the Duluth Normal School was renamed to the Duluth State Teachers College, also known as DSTC. Shortly after the renaming, bachelor’s degrees and four-year degree programs were added to the school. In 1929 men began to come to the DSTC, and along with them, the first sports teams including hockey, football, and basketball. All of these generated money for the school, and attracted many more students to the school over the years. By 1937, people were fighting to make DSTC a University of Minnesota branch to increase funding and the overall reputation of the school. It was not until 1947 the DSTC became part of the University of Minnesota system and was again renamed, this time to the University of Minnesota Duluth, or UMD.

Campus

Solon Campus Center
Today, the UMD campus consists of more than 50 buildings on 244 acres (98.7 hectares) overlooking Lake Superiormarker. Most UMD buildings are connected by concourses or hallways. UMD is also home to the Tweed Museum of Artmarker, the Marshall W. Alworth Planetarium, Weber Music Hall, and the Marshall Performing Arts Center. Other UMD facilities include the Research and Field Studies Center, Glensheen Historic Estatemarker, the Lower Campus, Minnesota Sea Grant, the Large Lakes Observatory, and the Natural Resources Research Institute.

UMD has experienced a revamping of student amenities and subsidized research facilities over the past seven years, beginning in 2000 with the completion of a new library. Additional buildings built since 2000 include the Weber Music Hall, Swenson Science Building, Sports and Health Center addition, and the new Labovitz School of Business. With the construction of these new buildings comes a plethora of new art on campus. All new public building projects in Minnesota must comply with the state's “One Percent for Art” law, passed by the State Legislature in 1984, which mandates that all such projects in Minnesota costing over $500,000 must devote at least 1% of their total construction budget towards incorporating public art into these building's public spaces. A little over 1% of the library's $28 million construction costs went toward the purchase and installation of a glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly that hangs from the ceiling of the two-story library lobby. 2005 saw the completion of the Swenson Science Building, a new student dining facility and a revamped UMD themed gift shop as well as the replacement of the famed coffee cart with the Northern Shores Coffee Shop. An high outdoor sculpture adjacent to the Swenson Science Building makes reference to elements of Duluth's surrounding native American Ojibwe culture. The sculpture was designed by John David Mooney and is called "Wild Ricing Moon," and represents the traditional wild rice harvest. "Wild Ricing Moon" was completed on June 2, 2006.

School of Medicine
The colleges and schools at the University of Minnesota Duluth are:

Buildings

Weber Music Hall
Weber Music Hall

The Weber Music hall, built in 2003 and designed by architect César Pelli, is considered the "gem" of UMD. The state of the art hall has amazing acoustics and can seat 350 people.

Tweed Museum of Art

In the 1920s and early 1930s, a man by the name of George P. Tweed and his wife Alice began collecting European and American paintings from the 19th and early 20th century. After Mr Tweed's death in 1946, Mrs. Tweed saw the potential educational resource that her husbands collection possessed for the community. And in 1958 helped fund what is today the University of Minnesota Duluth's Tweed Museum of Art. Today the museum holds over 5,000 works of art.

Marshall A. Alworth Planetarium

The Marshall A. Alworth Planetarium was built by Marshall A. Alworth, a benefactor to the school for many years. Marshall grew up in Duluth and attended Duluth Central High School and later also attended Dartmouth College. Marshall has donated many scholarships and which to this day are worth over $35 million.

The Marshall A. Alworth Planetarium has a dome and a Spitz A3P star machine. The planetarium can seat up to 70 people, projects approximately 1500 stars. The planetarium also holds a historical telescope that once belonged to John H. Darling.

Athletics

Champ, University of Minnesota Duluth mascot.
James S.
Malosky Stadium


UMD's athletic teams are called Bulldogs (after the 148th Fighter Wing). The school competes in the NCAA's Division II in all sports except ice hockey. Both the men's and women's hockey programs compete in the Division I Western Collegiate Hockey Association. They are also known for having a strong club sports program, especially in ultimate frisbee, lacrosse, rugby, alpine skiing and ice hockey.

On 13 December 2008, the undefeated Bulldogs won the NCAA Division II National Football Championship -- the first Division II championship in any sport at the school.

Intercollegiate programs

Men's
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Cross Country
  • Football
  • Hockey
  • Track and Field


Women's
  • Basketball
  • Cross Country
  • Hockey
  • Soccer
  • Softball
  • Tennis
  • Track and Field
  • Volleyball


National championships

  • NCAA Division II football championship
    • 2008


Facilities

UMD>UND

UMD's Recreational Sports Outdoor Program (RSOP)

RSOP website

Intramurals

Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, Flag Football, Ultimate Frisbee, Bowling, Golf, Table Tennis, Broomball, Hockey (4 on 4), Basketball (Co-Rec., 3 on 3), Curling, Volleyball (4 on 4)

Sports Clubs

There are many UMD organized sports clubs that both men and women may join together. Some of the clubs include: Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Dance Team, snowboard, Dodgeball, Martial Arts, Rowing, and Table Tennis. Men's clubs include: Lacrosse, Hockey, Rugby Football, Soccer. Women's clubs include: Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby.

Greek Life

There are several Greek Organizations students can join ranging from local to national, service and social. Organizations include Gamma Sigma Sigma, Beta Lambda Psi, Phi Sigma Sigma, Alpha Phi Omega, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Alpha Nu Omega, Phi Kappa Psi and Greek Council. Students must be an active member of a fraternity or sorority in good standing before serving on Greek Council.

Outdoor Clubs

Rod & Gun Club, Bike Club, Kayak & Canoe Club, North Shore Climbers, Outdoor Educators Club, and Wuda Wooch!

Outdoor Events/Races

Paddling the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness: paddle your way through the majestic lakes of BWCAClimb Devil’s Tower: climb the Devil’s Tower National Monument in WyomingBackpack Porcupine Mountains: backpack the Porcupine Mountains in MichiganThe Rock Hill Adventure: trail running and canoeing, or kayakingTrail Running/ Trekking: run , while paddling the Circumvent Rock Pond 15 timesHomecoming 5K Trail Run: participate in the annual 3.1 mil trail run in the Bagley Nature Area

Fitness

There are a variety of group fitness programs at UMD. These programs are open to students, faculty, staff, and community members. You must first purchase a group fitness pass before participating in any of the classes. These classes include; Butts & Gutts, Cardio Mix, Circuit City, Hip Hop, Kardio Kick, Pilates, Piloga, Pump & Tone, Power Yoga, Spin & Core, Step, Step & Sculp, Vinyasa Yoga, and Yoga Inspired Stretch. Massage therapy, personal training, tri teams, and kinesis are also available at UMD.
Construction of Wild Ricing Moon.


Notable alumni

Politics

  • Michael S. Berman - Longtime Washington lawyer and lobbyist, deputy chief of staff for Walter Mondale
  • Gary Doty - Minnesota politician
  • Mike Hatch - former Minnesota Attorney General and 2006 candidate for Governor
  • Don Ness - current mayor of Duluth


Business



Sports



Other



Notable Donations: James Swenson

The new Swenson Science Building at UMD.
James Swenson, a University of Minnesota Duluth Alumnus, has donated more than $21 million to the school, with his most recent donation of $10.7 million toward the College of Science and Engineering. $3 million of this will be set aside for the new civil engineering building and the remaining $7.7 million will be given as scholarships for students in science and research programs. This donation will help to continue to support the scholarship programs the Swenson family started in 1994. Since the program began, UMD has awarded scholarships to over 200 students, and had another 160 Swenson scholar students graduate.Because of his generous donations over the years, the school has renamed the College of Science and Engineering to be the Swenson College of Science and Engineering. “It’s nice to have our names on buildings, but there’s a lot of gratification in helping these young people,” said Swenson.The Swenson’s are natives of northern Superior, and have since relocated to California after James completed his bachelor’s degree in chemistry in 1959 at UMD. He then made millions in the computer industry with his circuit shop Details Inc., which he sold in 1997.

References

  1. University of Minnesota-Duluth Wins Its First-Ever Division II Championship - ncaafootball.fanhouse.com - December 13, 2008


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message