University of Saskatchewan (U of
S) is a coeducational public research university located on the east
side of the South Saskatchewan
River in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, founded over 100 years ago in 1907.
Lilium "University of
Saskatchewan" – the University of Saskatchewan centennial lily by
plant breeder Donna Hay.
The University of Saskatchewan Act
was passed by the
Assembly of Saskatchewan
in 1995. It established the provincial
university on April 3, 1907 "for the purpose of providing
facilities for higher education
all its branches and enabling all persons without regard to race,
creed or religion to take the fullest advantage". The University of
Saskatchewan is now the largest education institution in the
Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
The university began as an agricultural college in 1907 and
established the first Canadian university-based department of
extension in 1910. were set aside for university buildings and for
the U of S farm, and agricultural fields. In total 10.32 km²
was annexed for the university. Currently, main University campus
is situated upon with another 500 acres (2 km²) allocated
for Innovation Place Research Park. The University of Saskatchewan
agriculture college still has access to neighbouring urban research
lands. University of Saskatchewan's Vaccine and Infectious Disease
Organization (VIDO) facility, (2003) develops DNA-enhanced
immunization vaccines for both humans and animals.Since its origins
as an agricultural college,
has played an important role at the university.
Discoveries made at the U of S include sulphate-resistant cement
and the cobalt-60
unit. The university currently offers over 200 academic programs
Duncan P. McColl was appointed as the first registrar, establishing
the first convocation from which Chief Justice Edward L. Wetmore
was elected as the first
chancellor. Walter Charles
became the first president of the university's board of
Entrance to the Health Sciences
Building located on the Main campus of the University of
The institution was modelled on the American state university, with
an emphasis on extension work and applied research. The University
was created on April 3, 1907 by a
provincial statute known as the University Act
provided for a publicly funded, yet independent institution to be
created for the citizens of the whole province.
The governance was modelled on the provincial University of Toronto
Act of 1906 which established a bicameral system of university
government consisting of a senate (faculty), responsible for
academic policy, and a board of governors (citizens) exercising
exclusive control over financial policy and having formal authority
in all other matters. The president, appointed by the board, was to
provide a link between the two bodies and to perform institutional
leadership. The scope of the new institution was to include
colleges of arts and science, including art, music and commerce,
agriculture with forestry, domestic science, education,
engineering, law, medicine, pharmacy, veterinary science and
It awarded its first degrees in 1912. In the early part of this
century, professional education expanded beyond the traditional
fields of theology, law and medicine. Graduate training based on
the German-inspired American model of specialized course work and
the completion of a research thesis was introduced.
Battleford, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, Regina, and Saskatoon all lobbied to be the location of the new
university. Walter Murray preferred the provincial
In a politically influenced vote, Saskatoon
was chosen on April 7, 1909.
1914–1918 In Memory of All Ranks of
the 46th Battalion C.E.F. they are too near to be great, but our
children shall understand when and how our fate was changed, and by
located on the Main campus of the University of
next to the South Saskatchewan
River, across from the city centre of Saskatoon, was selected for the campus. The Prime
Minister of Canada, Sir Wilfrid
Laurier, laid the cornerstone of the first building, the
Building, on July 29, 1910.
Brown and Vallance were
the initial architects constructing the first university buildings
. The original buildings were built using native
– greystone – which was mined
just north of campus. Over the years, the greystone was to become
one of the most recognizable campus signatures. When the local
supply of limestone was exhausted, the University turned to Tyndall
Stone, so called because it is quarried at Tyndall, Manitoba.
building to be started on the new campus, the College
Building, built 1910- 1912 opened in 1913; in 2001, it was
declared a National Historic Site of Canada
The Old Stone
School, built in 1887, was declared a National Historic Site of
Saskatchewan's Provincial University and Agricultural College were
officially opened May 1, 1913 by Hon. Walter Scott
The original architectural plan called for the university buildings
to be constructed around a green space known as the bowl
Currently, the original university buildings are being connected by
skywalks and tunnels. Clockwise, from the north; Thorvaldson
Building (August 22, 1924) (Spinks addition); Geology, W.P.
Thompson Biology (1960) adjoined to Physics Building (1921);
College Building (May 1, 1913) (Administration addition);
Saskatchewan cojoined with Athabasca Hall (1964); Qu'Appelle Hall
(1916); Marquis Hall adjoined to Place Riel – Qu'Appelle Addition;
Murray Memorial Main Library (1956); Arts (1960) cojoined with Law
and adjoined to Commerce building complete the initial circle
around the perimeter of the bowl.
Establishment of Colleges
adhering to the original plan of 1909, numerous colleges were
established: Arts &
Agriculture now called Agriculture and Bioresource (1912),
(1912), Law (1913), Pharmacy
now called Pharmacy & Nutrition (1914), Commerce now
the N. Murray Edwards School of Business (1917),
(1927), Home Economics (1928), Nursing (1938),
Graduate Studies and Research (1946), Physical
Education now called Kinesiology (1958), Veterinary Medicine (1964), Dentistry(1965),
School of Physical Therapy (1976).
Entrance to Thorvaldson Building
located on the Main campus of the University of Saskatchewan
The U of S also has several graduate programs amongst these
colleges, which give rise to a masters or doctorate degree. In
1966, the University of Saskatchewan introduced a masters program
in adult education. Diploma, and certificate post secondary courses
are also available to aid in professional development.
Theological Colleges, affiliated with the
university, were also established:
Emmanuel College – (Anglican denomination) (1909), St. Andrew's College (as Presbyterian College,
Saskatoon) then United
Church of Canada (1913), Lutheran
Theological Seminary (1920), St.
Thomas More College (1936), and Central Pentecostal College
Entrance to the Field Husbandry >
Crop Science > Anthropology & Archaeology Building located
on the Main campus of the University of Saskatchewan
Regina College was saved from bankruptcy and became part of the
university in 1934, and was given degree-granting privileges in
1959, making it a second University of Saskatchewan campus.
another act of legislation in 1974, Regina College was made an
independent institution known as the University
The policy of university education initiated in the 1960s responded
to population pressure and the belief that higher education was a
key to social justice and economic productivity for individuals and
for society. The single-university policy in the West was changed
as existing colleges of the provincial universities gained autonomy
Correspondence courses were established in 1929.
federated and affiliated colleges include Briercrest
Bible College and Biblical Seminary in Caronport, Saskatchewan; Gabriel
Dumont College and St. Peter's Historic Junior College in Muenster,
late 1990s, the U of S launched a major revitalisation program,
comprising new capital projects such as an expansion to the
Western College of Veterinary
Medicine, the building of a new parkade, and a revision of
its internal road layout (which has already seen the East Road
access being realigned).
Entrance to the Engineering Building
located on the Main campus of the University of Saskatchewan
The Thorvaldson Building, which
currently is home to the departments of chemistry and computer
science, hosts a new expansion known as the Spinks addition. The
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition has also seen a number of
the late 1980s, the University of Saskatchewan held an extensive
area of land in the northeast quadrant of Saskatoon, stretching far
beyond the core campus, east of Preston Avenue and north of the
Sutherland and Forest Grove subdivisions.
Much of this land was used for
farming, though some areas were intended for future campus and
facility development. In the late 1980s, most U of S land beyond
Circle Drive was earmarked for residential development; Silverspring was the first of these neighbourhoods to be
The Bowl located on the Main
campus of the University of Saskatchewan
Saskatchewan Hall is a student
U of Saskatchewan Huskies
U of Saskatchewan Hospital
section of land, west of the Preston Avenue/Circle Drive
interchange and north of the CPR line, was zoned for commercial
use, and led to "big box" retail development in the early 2000s
called Preston Crossing).
U of S Cobalt Therapy Unit
Realignment of two major roads in the area
around this same time (Preston Avenue and 108th Street) also used
up a portion of university land. The U of S now maintains a large
tract of land immediately east of the Saskatoon city limits that it
obtained after the city annexed the northeastern section of U of S
land. The U of S leased a site to the Correctional Service of
north of Attridge Drive on Central Avenue for the
Regional Psychiatric Centre. It has an additional undeveloped
parcel of land at Central Avenue and Fedoruk Drive.
In the 1970s and again in the 1980s, the U of S considered opening
up some of its land holdings south of College Drive and north of
14th Street for residential development, but opposition from nearby
neighbourhoods that appreciated the "green belt" offered by the
university led to these plans being dropped.
Classes and programs are offered in
Agriculture and Bioresources
, Arts and
, , Biotechnology
Graduate Studies and Research
. Various classes and programs are also offered through
colleges affiliated with the University of Saskatchewan. Some of
these are Briercrest
of Emmanuel and St. Chad
Lake Kenderdine Campus
Dumont Institute of Métis Studies and Applied Research
College and Seminary
Thomas More College
College of Biotechnology
for Continuing and Distance Education/Extension Division
Students and Alumni
The University Act
provided that the University should
provide "facilities for higher education in all its branches and
enabling all persons without regard to race, creed or religion to
take the fullest advantage". It further stated that "no woman shall
by reason of her sex be deprived of any advantage or privilege
accorded to the male students of the university." Seventy students
began the first classes on September 28, 1909. The first class
graduated on May 1, 1912. Of the three students who earned
graduation honours, two were women.
342 students, faculty, and staff enlisted for World War I
. Of these, 67 were killed, 100 were
wounded, and 33 were awarded medals of valour.
Between 1907 and 2007 there have been over 132,200 members of the
of Saskatchewan Alumni Association
. The alumni feature those
who have successfully graduated from a degree, certificate and/or
diploma programme at the University of Saskatchewan.
Notable faculty and researchers
- The Honourable Gordon L.
Barnhart, University Secretary,
Professor in Canadian Politics, and Lieutenant-Governor of
- The Honourable Sylvia O. Fedoruk, University Chancellor, Professor in
Oncology, Associate Member in Physics, and Lieutenant-Governor of
- The Honourable J.W. Grant MacEwan, Director of the School of
Agriculture, Professor of Animal Husbandry, and Lieutenant-Governor
of Alberta (1966–1974).
- Gerhard Herzberg, Nobel Prize in Chemistry, 1970 –
Offered a position in 1935 to flee Nazi Germany, and remained at
the university for ten years.
- William Sarjeant, geologist and
- Dr. Thorbergur
Thorvaldson, internationally known scientist and first dean of
graduate studies at the U of S.
- Dr. Hilda Neatby (1904–1975),
- Emmett Matthew Hall,
(1898-1995), O.C., C.C., Q.C., LLB, Supreme Court judge and a
father of the Canadian system of Medicare
- The Right Honourable Raymon
Hnatyshyn, 24th Governor
General of Canada
- The Honourable Dr. Lynda M.
Haverstock, Lieutenant-Governor of
Saskatchewan (2000–2006), Leader of the Saskatchewan Liberal
- The Honourable Fredrick W. Johnson, 16th Lieutenant-Governor of
- The Honourable George Porteous,
Governor of Saskatchewan
- The Right Honourable John G.
Diefenbaker, 13th Prime Minister of Canada
- Diefenbaker was also the university's chancellor. After he
died, he and his wife were buried at the university, near the
- Henry Taube, Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1983
- Dr. John Hewson, Australian
- Tommy Douglas, former leader of
the New Democratic Party and leader of health care reform in Canada
(also voted "the Greatest Canadian" of all time in 2004)
- Alastair GW Cameron
Astrophysicist. Famed for his theories on the origin of the
chemical elements and the origin of the moon.
- N. Murray Edwards - business owner
- Edith Fowke Canadian
- Lorne Babiuk - Scientist
Michael Byers -
celebrity political scientist at the University
of British Columbia and federal NDP
candidate in the Vancouver Centre
- Guy Vanderhaeghe, (1951- ),
novelist, winner of the Governor General's Award, and
officer of the Order of Canada.
- Dr. Hilda Neatby (1904–1975),
- Kim Coates, actor.
Gordon Thiessen, former Governor of
the Bank of
Goh Thong Ngee, Professor at the
University of Singapore, recipient of the William G. Hunter Award
Over the years, some of the most prominent projects at the
University have been associated with the Department of Physics. In
1948, the university built the first betatron
facility in Canada. Three years later, the
world's first non-commercial cobalt-60
therapy unit was constructed.
(The first female Chancellor of the University, Sylvia Fedoruk
, was a member of the Cobalt-60
research team. She also served as Saskatchewan's Lieutenant-Governor
1988–1994.) The success of these facilities led to the construction
of a linear accelerator
of the Saskatchewan
in 1964 and placed university scientists
at the forefront of nuclear physics in Canada. Experience gained
from years of research and collaboration with global researchers
led to the University of Saskatchewan being selected as the site of
Canada's national facility for synchrotron light research, the Canadian
This facility opened October 22, 2004 and
is the size of a football field. The Plasma Physics
operates a tokamak
The University used the SCR-270 radar
in 1949 to image the Aurora
the first time.
The university owns the Vaccine and
Infectious Disease Organization
. Innovation Place Research
is an industrial science and technology park that hosts
private industry working with the university.
The University of Saskatchewan has numerous royal and vice-regal
connections. Lieutenant Governor Archibald McNab
is credited with bringing
the institution to Saskatoon. Its campuses have been venues for
royal and vice-regal visits, including visits by the Queen and the
Duke of Edinburgh, who lodged at the President's Residence in 1978.
of University alumni were invited to a reception for Canadians at
Palace ahead of that visit to Saskatoon.
campus is home to Saskatoon's only royally-designated institution,
the Royal University
. The Diefenbaker Canada Centre, also on campus, houses
original correspondence between the Queen and Prime Minister
, and has staged
such exhibits as Happy and Glorious: The Royal Presence in
, opened by Lieutenant Governor Lynda Haverstock
in 2004. The campus was
the first in Western Canada to host the Vanier Cup
, named for Governor General Georges Vanier
, in 2006. Fifteen fellows of
the Royal Society of Canada
are affiliated with the University of Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan's Lieutenant Governors
have filled the office of Visitor to the University of
since its establishment. Former Lieutenant
Governor Sir Richard Lake was famously called upon to assume the
visitor's role in the so-called Crisis of 1919
senior members of the Board of Governors had been dismissed after
three among them abstained from a vote of confidence in university
president Walter Murray
Murray was under scrutiny for his maintenance of University
finances. The public and press clamoured for an explanation, and,
in accordance with provincial law, Lake held a series of hearings
through the office of the King’s
. His findings, delivered in April 1920, vindicated the
dismissals, saying they were “regular, proper and in the best
interest of the university.” In other words, their acts of
disloyalty were enough to cost them their jobs.
Certain vice-regal representatives have held teaching and
governance positions on campus. Before becoming Lieutenant
Governor, Gordon Barnhart
university secretary and professor in Canadian politics. Sylvia Fedoruk
was university chancellor,
professor in oncology and associate member in physics. Grant MacEwan
, before becoming Lieutenant
Governor of Alberta, was director of the School of Agriculture and
professor of animal husbandry at the University of Saskatchewan.
Honorary Doctor of Laws
been conferred by the university on vice-regal representatives.
Recipient Lieutenant Governors include William Patterson
in 1955, Robert Hanbidge
in 1968, Stephen Worobetz
in 1984 and Sylvia Fedoruk
in 2006. Recipient Governors
General include Vincent Massey
1955 and Ramon Hnatyshyn
There are three separate areas of governance at the University of
Saskatchewan. Financial, management, as well as administration
affairs are handled by the Board of Governors, which comprises 11
members. The University of Saskatchewan liaison between the public
and professional sector is dealt with by the university Senate, a
body of 100 representatives. Finally, the General Academic Assembly
is the university's advisory body wherein, all the faculty members
and elected students combine to determine academic policies and
direction. In 1995, the General Academic Assembly is represented by
elected members to the University of Saskatchewan Council which is
made up of a combination of 116 faculty and students. As of 2006,
faculty and staff total 7,000, and student enrolment comprised
15,005 full time students as well as 3,552 part time
In October 2008, the University of Saskatchewan was named one of
, which was announced by the Saskatoon StarPhoenix
and Regina Leader-Post
The Board of Governors administrators comprise Chancellor W. Tom
, President and Vice-Chancellor
Dr. R. Peter MacKinnon Q.C.
; Vice-Presidents or Resource
Officers: Dr. Michael Atkinson, Provost and Vice-President
Academic; Richard Florizone, Vice-President (Finance &
Resources); Dr. Steven Franklin, Vice-President (Research); Heather
Magotiaux, Vice-President (University Advancement).
The past 100 years have seen eight university presidents beginning
with Walter Charles Murray
(1908–37) who helped establish and set the groundwork for the
University of Saskatchewan. In other words,
to make a University where no University
James Sutherland Thomson
(1937–49) was the second president
during some of the most difficult years in the
His term spanned the final years of the Great
Depression, the Second World War, and the hectic, early post-war
Walter Palmer Thompson persidency
term (1949–59) spanned the university's 50th anniversary year. Dr.
Walter Murray said to him
"Do not be appalled at the absence of all you have been
accustomed to find in other Universities.
We have all had to start with nothing..
.You have virgin soil to break."
In many fields Biologist Walter P. Thompson leadership brought
innovation, insight and research to new areas beginning with rust
resistant varieties of wheat which curtailed the 1916 catastrophic
outbreak of rust. He also was instrumental in developing in
Saskatchewan a comprehensive medicare program. His popularity and
qualities of administrator and teacher served the U of S well
during his presidency. The fourth and youngest Canadian university
president, John William
(1959–74) brought in a whirlwind era for the
...enrolment sky rocketed, a new campus was opened, new
buildings were erected, new colleges and schools were started and
course offerings were increased.
This included a comprehensive health care complex,
establishment of a Crop Development Centre, a Linear Accelerator
Laboratory, SED Systems, an Institute for Northern Studies, and an
Indian and Northern Education Program.
Robert William Begg
became the fifth U of S president, who received the Order of Canada
during his term in office
for his distinguished career in education and for his
contributions to cancer research.
The next president was Leo Friman
(1980–89) who served a foreshortened term due to
the onset of Parkinson's disease. However, even during this tenure
from which he left early, the University saw the addition of the
Innovation Place research park, Geology Building, Kinsmen
Children's Centre, The Centre for the Study of Co-operatives, a new
Saskatoon Cancer Clinic, expansion of health science facilities,
the Rt. Hon. John G. Diefenbaker Centre, and the groundwork was
laid for the new agriculture building. The sixth university
president was J.W. George Ivany
George Ivany Internationalization Award, to be
presented annually, was established in 1998 to acknowledge Dr.
Ivany's "commitment to internationalization and his leadership in
fulfillment of that commitment".
The current president ushering forward the University of
Saskatchewan's centennial year is R. Peter
The University of Saskatchewan chancellor would have the duties to
preside over convocation ceremonies whereupon they would confer
degrees, they chair the Senate and become members of the Board of
Governors.The first University of Saskatchewan chancellor was
Justice Edward Ludlow Wetmore
(1909–1917). The University of
Saskatchewan Board of Governors honoured him with an honorary
, in recognition of the
contributions Edward Wetmore gave to
both (the province and country) [which] enjoy in rich
measure the results of his great common sense, his judiciousness
and his high sense of public duty in shaping those fundamental
traditions which give character and direction to the activities of
two of the most influential institutions of the State, the
judiciary and the University.
Honourable Sir Frederick
W. A. G. Haultain K.B.
, the second chancellor served the
university 1917–1940. Sir Frederick W. A. G. Haultain, Chief
Justice of Saskatchewan, was instrumental in the establishment of
the provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta from the North West Territories
Commissioner of Education, he also spent time and energy developing
the early school system on the rugged frontier. Next, in line was
Justice P. E. MacKenzie
. between 1940–1946. In the years
1946–1947 Donald Maclean
and was a valued contributor to the
University of Saskatchewan, and was awarded an honorary bachelor of
law as well as appointed fourth chancellor. F. H. Auld LL.D.
University's fifth chancellor holding several three year terms
between 1947–1965. Francis Hedley received great recognition as
Deputy Minister of Agriculture in Saskatchewan for his
improvements. E.M. Culliton CC
, served the university as
chancellor from 1965 to 1969. He served Saskatchewan in many fields
and was regarded as the
cornerstone of a sound Saskatchewan
John Diefenbaker CH, PC, QC, FRSC, FRSA became the seventh chancellor between
He served country as Prime Minister
and province as Member of Parliament
well, and strived
ultimate balance for free enterprise, profit-making and
economic growth on the one hand, and social justice and respect for
the interests of the common man on the other."
Emmett M. Hall CC
served as next chancellor for two terms between 1979–1986. Emmett
M. Hall was chairman of several committees that helped to shape
Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan's public health insurance was the
precursor for Canada's national medicare system, as well as reforms
to the current issues involving education, court structure and
grain handling. Sylvia O. Fedoruk OC
followed as ninth
University Chancellor from 1986–1989. Sylvia Fedoruk is renowned as
a famous physics scientist who was implemental in developing the
world’s first Cobalt
60 unit and first
Sylvia also was a renowned curler, and Lieutenant Governor of
Saskatchewan and contributed to Saskatchewan's growth in many
areas. Between 1989–1995, E. K. Turner
S.O.M. served as the University of Saskatchewan's ambassador,
becoming the university's tenth chancellor. Saskatchewan
agriculture benefited from the life work of E. K. Turner both
internationally and nationally. Peggy
elected by acclamation served as university chancellor between
1995–2001. Peggy McKercher has been always involved in civic growth
and development. She has been honoured and gain tremendous
recognition for her involvement in the fields of heritage, culture,
and municipal development. W.
Thomas Molloy OC
between 2001–2007. He received the Order of Canada for
his integrity, commitment to a just settlement and
On July 1, 2007, Dr. Vera Pezer BA
PhD. was elected thirteenth
chancellor of the University of Saskatchewan. Vera Pezer has served
the university for a number of years as student counsellor, faculty
member and dean. She has achieved success as a champion curler,
author, and member of several civic steering committees.
Notable companies started by alumni and spin-offs
Museums and galleries
Agricultural Displays and Kloppenburg Collection
University of Saskatchewan
are hosted in
Agriculture & Bioresources College
. The agricultural wall
displays are located in the walkway connecting the Agriculture
Building and the Biology Building. The Kloppenburg Collection is
featured on the sixth floor of the College of Agriculture and
Bioresources building which opened in 1991. Twenty seven works by
famous Saskatchewan artists are featured in this donation to the
University of Saskatchewan.
Beamish Conservatory and Leo Kristjanson Atrium
is also located
Agriculture & Bioresources College
. The Leo Kristjanson
atrium is located in the College of Agriculture and Bioresources
building and hosts the conservatory. The Beamish Conservatory is
named in honour of the donor May Beamish who is the daughter of
The University of Saskatchewan's 75th Anniversary in 1984 was the
starting catalyst for the Athletic Wall of Fame at which time 75
honours were bestowed. The wall of fame celebrates achievements by
athletes, teams securing a regional and/or national championship,
as well as builders
who can be either an administrator,
coach, manager, trainer or other major contributor toward the
Huskie athletic community for a time period of at least 10 years
and have provided outstanding notable support. As of 2001, an
annual event, the Huskie Salute inaugurates a new candidate into
the Athletic Wall of Fame.
Building was officially declared a Canadian National Historic Site by Sheila Copps, Minister of Canadian Heritage on
February 27, 2001.
The College building was the first
building under construction on the University, and upon completion
was used for agriculture degree classes.
The Right Honourable John G.
Diefenbaker Centre for the Study of Canada
or The Diefenbaker
Canada Centre houses the Diefenbaker paper collection and legacy,
changing exhibit, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives and the
Native Law Centre. The grave site of Canadian Prime Minister John
Diefenbaker is located near this museum.
The Gordon Snelgrove Gallery features displays of Master of Fine
Arts graduating exhibitions, as well as Bachelor of Fine Arts
shows, and is located within the Murray Building on campus.
Kenderdine Art Gallery celebrated its official opening October 25,
1991. Augustus Frederick Lafosse (Gus) Kenderdine began the
University Art Camp at Emma Lake in 1936, the precursor to the
Emma Lake Kenderdine Campus
, a bequest was donated to the
University of Saskatchewan by his daughter, Mrs. May Beamish, and
initialized the formation of the Kenderdine Art Gallery which has a
permanent collection started by Dr. Murray, as well as ongoing
MacAulay Pharmaceutical Collection is located in the Thorvaldson
Building, Room 118A. The collection showcases turn of the century
pharmaceutical paraphernalia as well as early remedies such as
cherry bark syrup and smartweed.Memorial Gates were constructed in honour of those U of S students
who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Inscribed on the gates
themselves is an inscription, “These are they who went forth from
this University to the Great War and gave their lives that we might
live in freedom.”
The Museum of Antiquities started its collection in 1974, and
opened in 1981 at its new location. The museum celebrates notable
artistic, sculptural and art achievements of various civilisations
W. P. Thompson Biology Building hosts a two story high atrium which
houses both geological and biological displays as well as a
full-size skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus
The University of Saskatchewan Observatory offers public viewing
hours, school tours, as well as an adopt-a-star
An adopted star can commemorate a special or significant
achievement, or person and the award is given via certificate,
honourable registry mention and maps of star location and facts
Rugby Chapel, moved from Prince Albert, built in 1912, has been
declared a City of Saskatoon Municipal Heritage Property. Rugby Chapel, the
College of Emmanuel and St. Chad was first constructed in 1883
and designated the The University of Saskatchewan
(Saskatchewan Provisional District of the North West Territories),
St. Thomas More College Art Gallery was first opened in 1964 and
hosts artwork of local and regional artists.
Victoria School House (Little Stone School House) built 1888 as the
first school house of the Temperance Colony. The one room school
house was originally constructed in Nutana. The location is now known as five corners at
the south or top of the Broadway Bridge.
The school yard at one time comprised three
school houses, as the population grew. The little stone school
house was preserved and moved on campus. It was declared a historic
site June 1, 1967.
Victoria One Room Schoolhouse
, a student publication,
was first published in 1912, monthly or less frequently. By 1920,
it was published weekly with the aim of becoming a more unifying
influence on student life. It has continued to publish.
In 1965, a student-run campus radio station, CJUS-FM
began broadcasting on a non-commercial
basis. In 1983, the station became a limited commercial station. By
1985, however, funding was no longer provided, and the campus radio
presence died. In early 2005, CJUS was revived in an internet radio
form and continues to
broadcast today. The university also maintains a relationship with
the independent community radio
, which actively solicits
volunteers on campus.
Place Riel Theatre
, a campus theatre, was opened in 1975,
as was Louis
, a campus pub. Place Riel
existing campus student centre, opened in 1980, and now holds
retail outlets, arcade, lounge space, student group meeting areas,
and a food court
. These facilities were
named after Louis Riel
. In the late
1990s, Place Riel Theatre stopped public showings and it is now
used for campus movie features and lectures.
The University of Saskatchewan has adopted as its logo the book of
knowledge and three wheat sheaves set inside of a green heraldic
shield. The wheat sheaves and book of knowledge are yellow. Upon
the pages of the book of knowledge is the Latin phrase Deo et
which when translated means For God and
The official motto of the university is Deo et Patriae
(Latin) which translates to God and Country
Campus sports teams in Canadian Interuniversity
use the name Saskatchewan
. The U of S Huskies
presently compete in eight men's sports: Canadian football
, cross country
, track and field
and seven women's sports:
, cross country
, track and field
. The men's Huskyfootball
team has won the Vanier Cup
as national champions on three
occasions; in 1990, 1996, and 1998.
Notable among a number of songs commonly played and sung at various
events such as commencement
, and athletic games are:
, the University of Saskatchewan fight song, which
was composed by Russell Hopkins: "Fight, fight, fight for the dear
old Green and White, Saskatchewan, our University. And it’s shout,
shout, shout and let your voice ring out, For Saskatchewan, our
University. We’ll rise to a man, be it win or lose or draw, And
cheer old Alma Mater with a rah-rah-rah! For Deo Patrie our mother
strong and free- Saskatchewan our University - Rah!"
Saskatchewan Hall residence
McEwon Park residence towers
- Voyageur Place Room and board residences on the
University of Saskatchewan campus and comprises four separate
- Saskatchewan Hall was the first student residence of
the university and was completed in 1912. Originally called
University Hall, it was designed to provide residences for 150
students. Saskatchewan Hall was named for the Saskatchewan River.
- Qu'Appelle Hall was originally known as Student’s
Residence No. 2 and officially opened in 1916. The design housed
120 students, and in 1963 an addition for 60 additional student
residences was completed. The Qu'Appelle Hall Addition is the
fourth residence of Voyageur Place and houses male students.
Qu'Appelle Hall was named for the Qu'Appelle River.
- Athabasca Hall provides 270 residences and was
completed in 1964. It is now a co-ed hall. Athabasca Hall was named
for the Athabasca River.
Voyageur Place has historically been organized on the house system
, with each house named after an
explorer associated with Saskatchewan's early history. Thus,
traditionally there were three male houses: Hearne House (named
after Samuel Hearne
and consisting of
the residents of Saskatchewan Hall); Kelsey (named after Henry Kelsey
and consisting of the residents of
Qu'Appelle Hall); and Lav (named after Pierre
Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye
and consisting of
the residents of Qu'Appelle Hall Addition). There were also three
female houses (all of which were composed of residents of the
all-female Athabasca Hall): Pond (named after Peter Pond
), Henday (named after Anthony Henday
), and Palliser (named after
- McEown Park – Residence complex south of the
university campus. Opening ceremonies were October 2, 1970 for the
four high rise complex. McEown Park was named in honour of a
University administrator, A.C. McEown.
- Souris Hall is an apartment complex for married
students with families. Souris Hall, named after the Souris River, is a nine-storey town house,
comprising 67 two-bedroom apartments.
- Assiniboine Hall is an eleven-storey apartment house
which has 23 two-bedroom and 84 one-bedroom apartments available
for married or single students without families. Assiniboine Hall
was named for the Assiniboine
- Wollaston Hall was added to McEown Park complex in
1976, providing 21 two-bedroom and 83 one-bedroom apartments.
- Seager Wheeler Hall provides housing for single
students living in small groups in a fourteen-storey residential
house. Seager Wheeler Hall was named in honour of Seager Wheeler, a notable Saskatchewan
pioneer for breeding wheat. This residence was on the original
three complexes built at McEown Park.
On February 6, 2009, the provincial government announced $15
million of funding toward the construction of additional residence
buildings adjacent to the existing McEwon Park development. The
project, headed by Saskatoon-based Meridian Development
Corporation, is scheduled to begin in late 2009 with full occupancy
anticipated for 2011.
The University of Saskatchewan provides services to Aboriginal
people in more remote communities. The University of Saskatchewan
Summer University Transition Course brings first-year Aboriginal
students to campus before the start of the school year for some
campus orientation. Academic counsellors, tutors and Aboriginal
elders are present on campus at the University of Saskatchewan to
provide academic and social supports. To assist with the transition
to a fulfilling career, the University of Saskatchewan is
participating in an Aboriginal Lynx Career and Employment Project
led by University of Calgary.
Map of the Campus area – University of
Histories of the University
- Michael Hayden 'Seeking a Balance: The University of
Saskatchewan, 1907-1982' (Vancouver: University of British Columbia
- Michael Hayden. "The Fight that Underhill Missed: Government
and Academic Freedom at the University of Saskatchewan, 1919-1920."
In Academic Freedom: Harry Crowe Memorial Lectures 1986, edited by
Michiel Horn. North York: York University, 1987.
- Shirley Spafford 'No Ordinary Academics: Economics and
Political Science at the University of Saskatchewan,1910-1960'
(Toronto: University of Toronto Press, July 1, 2000)
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Saskatchewan (2005). Visiting
Buckingham Palace. Green and White, Fall 2005.
- Royal Society of Canada (2008).
- Government of Saskatchewan (2006). The University
of Saskatchewan Act, 1995. Regina: The Queen's Printer.
- University of Saskatchewan Archives. 1919: Crisis.
In Deo et Patriae: Events in the History of the University of
- University of Saskatchewan Archives (2007).
University History: Honorary degree recipients.
- The University of Winnipeg