Unterdöbling was an
independent municipality until 1892 and
is today a part of Döbling, the 19th
district of Vienna.
It is also one of the 89 Katastralgemeinden
|Coat of arms
The Katastralgemeinde Unterdöbling lies in Döbling, the 19th
district of Vienna, to the north of Oberdöbling
. The border between
Unterdöbling and Oberdöbling is largely determined by the Krottenbach
, a stream which today serves as a
canal. The medieval town centre lay in a dip by the stream, where
nowadays the Rudolfinergasse
(which used to be
called the Herrengasse
recent times, settlement took place on the plateau that rises
slowly to the west and to the north towards the Kahlenberg.
Unterdöbling’s southern border runs
alongside Oberdöbling, in the west it borders on Untersievering
and in the north on Grinzing
as well as on parts of Heiligenstadt
. The eastern border is
marked by a road leading from Oberdöbling via the Hohe
Warte to Heiligenstadt.
The origin of the name Döbling
The Rudolfinergasse in 1910
Döbling is mentioned for the first time in an official document in
as de Teopilic
. This name is of
Slavic origin; toplica
either means “marshy water” and
refers to the settlement’s location by the Krottenbach or derives
from the Old Slavic term for a “warm creek”. Later usage includes
spellings such as Toblich, Töbling and Tepling.
Originally, Unterdöbling was known as Chrottendorf because of its
location by the Krottenbach. The name Unterdöbling was first used
in the 15th century.
Unterdöbling from the Middle Ages to the 16th century
Medieval Unterdöbling was inhabited by farmers who were largely
reliant on their own produce. They produced wine for sale, but also
planted cereals for this purpose and produced fruit, vegetables and
milk products. In the 12th
century, the nobles derer von Topolic owned Döbling,
later it was the property of the Dominican monastery in Tulln.
is mentioned in a document from 1310
village of the ladies of Tulln. As time progressed, separate
villages evolved, divided from one another by the Krottenbach. The
separation of the two settlements was recorded in an official
document for the first time in 1591
Unterdöbling since the 16th century
A village seal dating from 1688
preserved. It depicts Saint
with the inscription Sigil der gemain Under Thöbling
(Seal of the municipality Under Thöbling 1688).
Unterdöbling’s development was impeded by a lack of available land
and remained behind that of Oberdöbling. By the start of the 18th
century, Unterdöbling was nonetheless still around a third larger
than Oberdöbling, but the plague hit Unterdöbling much harder than
its southern neighbour in 1713. More than half of all houses were
infected and 52 people died. Nearby Sievering
was however hit even harder. In 1783,
there were 300 inhabitants in Unterdöbling, and around 1800,
Unterdöbling still had just one street. By 1828, the number of
inhabitants had risen to around 500 and the number of houses to 53,
but the population shrank again in the following years. In 1835,
there were just 400 inhabitants left. Thereafter though, growth
paralleled that in Oberdöbling. In 1853, 941 people were living in
Unterdöbling; in 1890 there were 2,074 people in 170 houses.
1892, Unterdöbling and Oberdöbling, along with the surrounding
suburbs of Grinzing, the Kahlenbergerdorf, Nußdorf, Heiligenstadt, Sievering and Josefsdorf, were turned into the 19th district of
In the post-war years of the 1950s, the Krim
, a part of
Unterdöbling, experienced rapid growth. This once infamous and
poverty-stricken quarter was turned into an upmarket residential
area with its own parish church.
Viticulture still had a prominent place in Unterdöbling's economy
in 1826. Almost half of the available land was covered with
vineyards. Agriculture occupied a further quarter of the land and
pasture made up around one fifth.
insecticide factory in the
Nußwaldgasse developed into Unterdöbling's most important
industrial enterprise. Johann Zacherl had been importing insecticide
made of pyrethrum from Tiflis since 1842,
and in 1870, he began production in Unterdöbling.
Zacherlin product was sold in his own shops all over the world.
’s reconstruction of the
factory in the form of a mosque
Unterdöbling the most unusual factory building in all of Vienna.
Zacherl’s heirs struggled with the growth of the chemical industry
after World War I
; in 1933, they were
also producing ski bindings
. The Zacherl
factory closed in the 1950s.
Zacherl’s Zacherlfabrik, designed in an oriental style and resembling a
mosque, is a unique construction. Another important
building is the Döbling Carmelite Nunnery in the Silbergasse and its Kirche Hl.
The Zacherl factory
Familie (Holy Family
Church). There are
also several former vintner
’s houses in
Unterdöbling. The local cemetery, which held the graves of Johann Strauß the Elder
und Joseph Lanner
, was also in Unterdöbling, but
it was closed in 1927. Although their remains were moved to
Vienna’s Zentralfriedhof, their graves became a feature of the
Strauß-Lanner-Park, which was established on the site of the former
- Christine Klusacek, Kurt Stimmer: Döbling. Vom
Gürtel zu den Weinbergen. Wien 1988
- Karl Kothbauer: Döbling - und
seine Ried- und Flurnamen. Dissertation Wien 2001
- Godehard Schwarz:
Döbling. Zehn historische Spaziergänge durch Wiens
19. Bezirk. Wien 2004