Vadakkankulam is a small
town in Tirunelveli District of
Nadu state, India.
notable attraction is the Holy Family Church, which was built in
1779. Christian martyr
, was married to Gnanapoo Ammaal of Vadakkankulam. After
the death of Martyr Devesahayam Pillai, his clothes are preserved
at Vadakkankulam. These belongings are kept inside a glass case,
and available for public viewing. Every year, there is a 10 day
celebration (Aug 6 15) at the church. Assumption of Mary
. This place rocks
during the 10 days (6-15th august).
Vadakanglam is the first parish of the interior area that joined
the pearl fishery coast mission and it was the last parish of the
south western border of the Madurai mission. St. John de Britto who
was on horse journey accosted the four catholic families here who
had come from the village of Thoppuvilai in 1600. He built a small
thatched church dedicated to the Holy family in 1605. As many
catholic families from elsewhere settled down here, it became part
of Nemam mission belonging to the Jesuit province of Cochin. After
St. John de Britto, Fr. De Souza stayed here and converted many in
Marungoor village. In 1750, Fr. Putheri renovated the church built
by St. Britto. As per the notes of Fr. Bavane, in 1787, of the 14
parishes of Madurai Mission, Vadakangulam, Palayamkottai, Suranam
and Kamanayakkanpatti were under the jurisdiction of Cochin
diocese. When the Society of Jesus was suppressed in 1773,
Vadakangulam was under the supervision of Archbishop Salvatore
Thorais of Kiranganoor. At that time, priests from Pandicherry
served here for sometime. After 1838, Thulois Jesuits came to
Vadakangulam. They demolished the old church and laid foundation
for the new church on the 9th of August 1855. Archbishop Canos of
Madurai consecrated this church on the 23rd of June 1872, when Fr.
Gregory was the parish priest. This is the present church of
Vadakangulam. Our Lady of the Assumption statue had been in the
church for a long time. In October 1803, one Mr. Savarimuthu came
to Vadakangulam to interview an English lady named Hentriette
Belderk. As he went to the church in the morning, he saw clouds
hovering over the altar and the statue’s hands opened and eyes shed
tears. Startled he called the catechist Mr. Yagapper Pillai. Lady
Belderk came there as well. They rang the bell. People came and
began to pray with tears as the statue gained its previous status,
according to some witnesses. The first Vicar General of Tuticorin
diocese Msgr. Marianather is from Vadakangulam. His brother Mr.
Yagapper Pillai served as Catechist of this church for more than 60
years, the Pope Pius XI awarded him with Benemonthi title in 1935.
Mr. Devasagayam pillai who died as a martyr in Kattadi hills next
to Aralvaimozhi had been baptized at Vadakangulam. His wife Mrs.
Gnagapoo was buried at Vadakangulam cemetery. The turban of
Devasagayam pillai is still treasured at Vadakangulam church until
Parish Priests:Fr. Ignatius 1931-1936Fr. Mariadas 1936-1943Fr.
Joachim Fernando 1943-1950Fr. Benedict 19501954Fr. Navamoni
1954-1960Fr. Maria Gnanam 1060-1974Fr. Antony M.S 1974-1982Fr.
Peter Raja 1982-1985Fr. Cruz Marian 1985-1988Fr. Job de Rose
1988-1990Fr. Mariadas 1995-1997Fr. Irudayaraj 1990-1995Fr.
Theophilus 1998 -(not updated)Fr. Nelson Paulraj 2008 - till
Patron Saint : Holy FamilyFeast of the Patron : Our Lady of
Assumption, August 15
St. Michael church, Michaelpalayam, 1910St. Antony’s church, St.
Antony’s street, 1945St. Sebastian’s church, Sebastian street,
1900Our Lady’s church, Bajanaimadam, 1861Our Lady of Sorrows
church, Cemetery, 1861Our Lady of Good Health church,
AvaraikulamChurch constructed in: 1907St. Xavier Church
PathinatherpuramChurch constructed in: 1970St. Benedict
AnthoniarpuramChurch constructed in: 1935St. Antoy Church
KeezhakulamChurch constructed in: 1920St. Antony Church
PuthiamputhurChurch constructed in: 1974St. George