The Full Wiki



Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

WWMI (Radio Disney AM 1380) is a radio station broadcasting a children's radio format. Licensed to St. Petersburg, Floridamarker, USA, the station serves the Tampa Bay areamarker. The station is owned by The Walt Disney Company.


Brothers Joe, Sam and Farris Rahall bought the city's Mutual Broadcasting System affiliate, WTSP-AM 1380 and its FM, 102.5, from the St. Petersburg Times in 1956. Not interested in pursuing FM, they shut it down a year later. On July 15, 1959, the AM's call letters and format switched to WLCY ("Radio Elsie") and Top 40.

For many years WLCY-AM was the Tampa Bay area’s premiere rock and roll station, with offices, studios, and transmitter in the previous WTSP facility on Gandy Boulevard near 4th Street North.

The disc jockeys during the era were known as "The Swingin' Gentlemen" and included "Stanley Steamer" Jim Stanley (mornings), Johnny Dart (Stan Grams), Rick Morgan, Mark Wheeler, "Shy Guy" Roy Nilson, Al Dunaway, "Swingin' Sweeney," Johnny Rebel (Herb Hunt), George Nix, Jack E. Rabbitt, Dick Stambaugh, Tedd Webb, Bob Tracey, "Big Daddy" Don Owens, Pepper Lipsinx (James Wayman), Frank Lynn, Kenny Parks, Bob Collins, Jeff Laurence, Johnny Stevens, Dave Archard, Bob Carr, D.J. O'Day, Rock Robbins, Murph McHenry, Al Summers, Jack Kane, Bobby Lyons, Dean Drapin, Ron Parker, Dutch Walker, Jim Clark, Johnny Byrd (Dennis Waters), Daylon Rushing, Mike Scott (Jim Shirah) and Lolita (Dottie Groven).

Clair Linn provided news and the "WLCY Weather Chick" was Charlene Mathias. Newsman Marshall Cleaver hosted a late-night call-in show, Open Mike, and was succeeded by Harvey Sheldon. Jingles were tagged with, "WLCY, One-thirty-eight!"

The station later shared space with Rahall’s WLCY-TVmarker and WLCY-FM (the "Rahall Color Communications Center"), just east of the original Gandy site. The name of the licensee changed to WLCY, Inc., on June 20, 1963 and then to the Rahall Communications Corporation on October 3, 1969. WLCY-AM began to identify dual city of license as "St. Petersburg-Tampa" in 1976.

Rahall began to divest itself of its Tampa Bay properties, and in September 1978, Florida Radio, Inc. became the station's new owner. WLCY moved out of the TV building and back into the old WTSP studios.

In 1981, the station was sold to Harte-Hanks and was changed to WNSI-AM (News, Sports and Information), and later, WRBQ-AM. In 1999, ABC Radio bought the station and it became WWMI.


External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address