The Full Wiki

More info on Washington County High School (Georgia)

Washington County High School (Georgia): Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Washington County High School, in Sandersville, Georgiamarker, was founded in 1959, as a result of a county-wide consolidation of all the small community high schools around the county. Because segregation was still active, only white students could attend, and as a result, a twin school for the black students, Thomas Jefferson High School was built also in 1959, on Hines Street, in the Tybee neighborhood in Sandersville. The school got its mascot by student vote amongst Hawks, Falcons, or Eagles. The colors derive from the black of Tennille High School (the Tigers) and the gold of Sandersville High School (the Satans).

In 1972, WACO school system fully integrated, and Washington County High started housing grades 10-12, and T.J. Elder High became T.J. Junior high, and housed grades 6-9. In the 1984-1985 school year, the current 9-12 format went into being. During the 49 years that the school has existed, several renovations have taken place. During the 1980-1981 school year, a vocational building was built, housing a bigger library. In 1993, a total extensive renovation took place on the original 1959 building, removing the numerous windows that lined the outside walls of most of the original building and adding a state of the art cafeteria.

The last change came in 1997, when a new, modern gym, new front office complex, and science classrooms and labs were built. The old gym complex was renovated into a fine arts wing, adding a larger band room, chorus room, and 300 seat theater.

In 1982, WACO school system fully integrated and Washington County High started housing grades 10-12. T.J. Elder High became T.J. Junior high and would later house grades 6-9. In the 1984-1985 school year, the current 9-12 format went into being. During the 49 years that the school has existed, several renovations have taken place. During the 1980-1981 school year, a vocational building was built, housing a larger library. In 1993, a total extensive renovation took place on the original 1959 building, removing the numerous windows that lined the outside walls of most of the original building and adding a state of the art cafeteria.

The last change came in 1997, when a new, modern gym, new front office complex,science classrooms and labs were built. The old gym complex was renovated into a fine arts wing, adding a larger band room, chorus room and 300 seat theater.

Athletics

Washington County High School has a strong athletic program, especially in football. The Golden Hawks football team has won three state championships and two state runner-up trophies since 1992. The team also is second in the state in Georgia Domemarker semifinal appearances behind Lincoln County High. The basketball teams have won numerous region titles in the past decade, and the new soccer program made the state playoffs in their first year of region play in 2004.

Fine Arts

Washington County High is also a strong fine arts school. The One Act play teams led by acting teacher Scott Price have won two state titles (2001 and 2004), four state runners-up (1999, 2002, 2005, 2008), and numerous region championships. The group is often invited to perform at the Georgia Thespian Conference. The Literary teams have won the past three championships (2007, 2008, and 2009), making them the first Georgia high school to take the state title three years in a row. Washington County High School also has a very successful band program, winning various awards at several marching competitions and festivals.

References




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message