Wichita Heights High School
is a coeducational secondary school
located at 5301 N.
Kansas, 67219 and is part of the USD 259 public
is Mr. Bruce Deterding, who replaced Mr. Mark
Christian after Christian retired in 2006.
Wichita Heights High School was originally approved, planned and
built as Wichita Heights Rural School District Number 192, to serve
the districts of Bridgeport, Kechi, Kechi Center, Riverside, and
Riverview. No secondary school existed at the time for these
districts; prior to its construction students were placed into
other Wichita area schools. Construction of the school started in
1959, and was finished two years later in 1961 in time for the
school year. In July 1963, the school became a part of the Wichita
Public Schools. In 1983, Wichita Heights was designated an urban
overflow school due to the increasing populations of other inner
city Wichita Public Schools.