is the capital city of Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan. It is the smallest prefectural capital in Japan.
the city had an estimated population
of 191,195 and a population density
of 261.82 persons per
. The total area is
The city was founded on April 10, 1929 (1st generation), April 1,
1944 (2nd generation), and October 1, 2005 (3rd generation)
There is a
famous Buddhist temple, Rurikōji, with a five story pagoda, a Catholic cathedral in Yamaguchi city which commemorates the
visit of Saint Francis Xavier and
subsequent introduction of Christianity to Japan in 1550, and an
Airport in nearby Ube serves
- April 1, 1889: 40 towns were merged to form the town of
- April 1, 1905: The town of Yamaguchi and the village of
- July 1, 1915: The town of Yamaguchi and the village of
- April 10, 1929: The town of Yamaguchi and the village of
Yoshiki merged to form the city of Yamaguchi (1st Generation).
- April 1, 1941: The village of Miyano merged into the city of
- April 1, 1944: The towns of Ogōri and Ajisu, and the villages
of Hirakawa, Ōtoshi, Sue, Natajima, Aiofutajima, Kagawa and Sayama
merged with the city of Yamaguchi to become the new city of
Yamaguchi (2nd Generation). (At that time of the merger, all of
them were from Yoshiki
- November 23, 1947: The town of Ajisu broke off from Yamaguchi.
- November 1, 1949: The town of Ogōri broke off from Yamaguchi.
- November 3, 1963: The village of Suzenji from the Yoshiki
District merged into Yamaguchi.
- May 1, 1963: The town of Ōuchi from Yoshiki District merged
- October 1, 2005: Yamaguchi (2nd Generation)
merged with the remaining parts of Yoshiki District (Dissolved by
this action) and the town of Tokuji from Saba
District (also dissolved by this action) to form the 3rd
city of Yamaguchi.