The Full Wiki

Youngstown, New York: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Location within Niagara County.
Youngstown is a village in Niagara Countymarker, New Yorkmarker, USAmarker. The population was 1,957 at the 2000 census. It is part of the BuffalomarkerNiagara Fallsmarker Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Youngstown is on the western edge of the town of Portermarker and is at the international border with Canadamarker. It is north of the city of Niagara Fallsmarker.

The Youngstown Level, one of the largest amateurs sailing regattas is held here annually.

History

The village's early growth was under the protection of Fort Niagaramarker.The village was destroyed by the British in 1813 during the War of 1812.The Village of Youngstown was incorporated in 1854.

Named after John Young, the Village of Youngstown was established in 1854.

Youngstown is an historic village located at the northwestern corner of the state where the Niagara River flows into Lake Ontario.In an area known to the Indians for hundreds of years, the French explorer La Salle left his mark by building a small fort in 1670, less than a mile north of where our village now stands. The French gained control of the Great Lakes area and by 1727 built the "Castle" which became the centerpiece of Old Fort Niagara.

In 1759, a large force of British soldiers under the command of General Ptideux was sent up the then Mohawk River and along Lake Ontario to lay siege to the French Fort. During the battle, Ptideux was killed and Sir William Johnson took command. Following a successful ambush of the French and Indian relief forces at La Belle Famille, the Fort surrendered. This action played an important part in the final loss for France of most of its possessions in the New World. As a result of the 1763 Devil's Hole Massacre above the escarpment, Johnson forced the Indian chiefs to give up their claims on the land along both sides of the Niagara River from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. A mile-wide strip along the eastern side eventually became the New York State Mile Reserve.

John Young, who lived across the river, saw opportunities on this side and built a store on the landing area in 1809. In 1811, he bought Lots 1 and 2 of the Mile Reserve. These included all the property from what is now the north side of Falkner Park and as far south as Campbell Street and from the river eastward to what is now the Robert Moses Parkway.

Young sold the Falkner Park area to Robert Greensit in March 1812 before the war started between the U.S. and England. By that time, a number of log cabins had been built to provide shelter for the skilled tradesmen and storekeepers who were attracted to the area by the Fort which needed many supplies and services.

In 1813, American forces captured Fort George across the river. At Christmas time, they retreated to the American side after burning the Village of Newark (now Niagara On The Lake). In retaliation, British and Indians captured Fort Niagara and burned most of the buildings and homes south of it to what is now Buffalo.

Rebuilding gradually took place and by the 1840s the village was well established with many fine homes and stores. The moderate climate, the excellent fishing, accessibility by lake boats and nearness to Canada all played a part in Youngstown growth. The soil proved invaluable for fruit culture which attracted many farmers. This lead to the development of industries such as barrel making, fruit packing and storage, the drying of apples and making of cider and vinegar. Carpenters, blacksmiths and other tradesmen were needed as lumber and shipbuilding businesses were important for many years.

Many changes have come about through the years: concrete sidewalks replaced those made of wood. The dirt and stone road to Lewiston became a safe paved highway; the fire company grew from a man-pulled hose cart into a fully equipped fire department and water and sewer systems were installed throughout the village. The handling of mail began in Judge Hinman's home and was finally delivered house to house in 1959.

Three railroads were built to the village. Two failed immediately in the 1850s, but the electric line carried supplies to the village and fort as well as bringing thousands of people to the old beach amusement park.

The village has a number of properties on the National Register of Historic Places.

Youngstown Landmarks

Old Fort Niagara

Old Fort Niagara is a National Historic Landmark and New York State Historic Site that welcomes more than 100,000 visitors every year. It offers a unique collection of original military architecture and fortifications from the 18th Century and the 19th Century, as well as living history events and programs, historical exhibits and collections, archaeology, and education.

The history of Old Fort Niagara spans more than 300 years. During the colonial wars in North America a fort at the mouth of the Niagara River was vital, for it controlled access to the Great Lakes and the westward route to the heartland of the continent. With the completion of the Erie Canal in 1825, however, the strategic value of Fort Niagara diminished. It nonetheless remained an active military post well into the 20th century.

The three flags flown daily above the parade ground symbolize the nations which have held Fort Niagara. Each competed for the support of a fourth nation: the powerful Iroquois Confederacy. The French established the first post here, Fort Conti, in 1679. Its successor, For Denonville (1687-88) was equally short lived. In 1726 France finally erected a permanent fortification with the construction of the impressive "French Castle." Britain gained control of Fort Niagara in 1759, during the French & Indian War, after a nineteen-day siege. The British held the post throughout the American Revolution but were forced, by treaty, to yield it to the United States in 1796. Fort Niagara was recaptured by the British in 1813. It was ceded to the United States a second time in 1815 at the end of the War of 1812.

The Stone Jug

The Stone Jug is every locals favorite watering hole. The Stone Jug, or also known as the Ontario House was built in 1842.

Before the 1812 War between the U.S. and the British with the Canadians, Elijah Hathaway had arrived in our area and had built a tavern and stable on the property where the Ontario House now stands, perhaps with the permission of John Young.

We find his name in the "List of Sufferers" (those who lost property during the burning of the area from here to Buffalo by the British in 1813) and his building was included. In 1816, we find that Elijah, Agnes Greensitt, John McBride and others are listed as innkeepers; so we know that the inn had been rebuilt. Alexander Lane purchased the property along Lockport Street in 1841 and by the end of 1842 our hotel had been constructed. As we look at this four story building, which is nearly 50 feet square at its base, having four chimneys and walls two feet thick, we ponder over these questions: How many tons of stone were required, where they were found, how many horse drawn wagons were used, and how many men worked there?

There were an incredible number of small rooms on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors. There may have been as many as 20 fireplaces throughout. One remains in the present dining room and another is in the basement where the kitchen used to be. It is very large and probably was supplied with the hooks, chains, spit, kettles and other devices, which were necessary for the preparation of all the meals for many years. It even had a square recessed hole in the wall where ~read was baked. A prodigious amount of wood must have been burned during those early years.

The annual Labor Day Parade and Firemen’s Field Days

The Fireman's Field day has become a local villagers summer's rite of passage. The event has taken place for nearly a century and has entertained generations. The entertainment is endless from the rides for children, to the Black & Red dart game, to the ever popular beer tent and of course the live music acts that are the focal point of the Field day. Recent acts have included Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Alabama, Force Fed Anger, Tom Satori, Wall Flowers, comedian Carrot Top, magician Uncle Dave, and many other local acts have contributed to the success of the field days.

Notable residents

Youngstown is home to former Dallas Cowboys NFL player, Daryl Johnston (Ret.).Also, longtime Bucknell Universitymarker lacrosse coach Sid Jamieson is a native of Youngstown.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km²), of which, 1.2 square miles (3.0 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.6 km²) of it (17.14%) is water.

New York State Route 18F (Lower River Road) parallels the Niagara River through the village and intersects Lockport St. (NY 93).

New York State Route 93 (Lockport St. in the village, western terminus at NY 18F in the village).

Adjacent areas

The village is on the east bank of the Niagara Rivermarker and is north of the city of Niagara Fallsmarker and the town of Lewistonmarker. Youngstown is west of the Robert Moses Parkway and at the western end of the Youngstown-Lockport Road (NY-93). The village is entirely within the town of Portermarker. The village is across the Niagara River from the region called Niagara-on-the-Lakemarker in Canadamarker and the community of Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Torontomarker is directly across Lake Ontariomarker to the north.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 1,957 people, 809 households, and 564 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,687.5 people per square mile (651.4/km²). There were 863 housing units at an average density of 744.2/sq mi (287.2/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.42% White, 1.07% Native American, 0.05% from other races, and 0.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.77% of the population.

There were 809 households out of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.9% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.2% were non-families. 25.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.93.

In the village the population was spread out with 24.3% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 27.3% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 91.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.0 males.

The median income for a household in the village was $48,333, and the median income for a family was $60,089. Males had a median income of $47,063 versus $23,333 for females. The per capita income for the village was $23,705. About 3.0% of families and 3.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under age 18 and 4.7% of those age 65 or over.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message