The Full Wiki

More info on Youngstown, Pennsylvania

Youngstown, Pennsylvania: Map

  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



An 1876 map of Youngstown


Youngstown is a borough in Westmoreland Countymarker, Pennsylvaniamarker, United Statesmarker. Youngstown was incorporated on 2 April 1831. The population was 400 at the 2000 census.

History

The town was named after Alexander Young, whose first lot was recorded November 25, 1815, in the Recorder's office of Westmoreland County. There was a dispute to the name of the town over if it should be called Martinsburg or Youngstown. The name Youngstown was settled upon after it was found that a town of Martinsburg already existed in the Commonwealth. James Keenan's recorded plan of land on April 3, 1816 recorded the town as Youngstown Borough. As the community grew, and more people settled in the area, the citizens formed a political government. The residents petitioned the legislature in Harrisburg to form Youngstown Borough out of their lands. Governor George Wolf approved act No. 168 of 1830, on April 2, 1831. This act erected Youngstown, in the County of Westmoreland, into a Borough. Act No. 168 laid out the borough lines, and provided for elections of the burgess and other town officials, and stated the duties of the officials. As the town progressed, the residents felt themselves restricted by the Act of 1830 and petitioned Westmoreland County Court of Quarter Sessions to become subject to the Act of April 3, 1851. The Act of 1851 provided for more modern borough government than that permitted by the previous special act of legislature. The residents of the borough and their officers did not act quickly, since the petition to become subject to the Act of 1851 was not approved by Borough Council until July 25, 1905.

The opening of the Pennsylvania Government Land Office in the area in 1769, and the contract of the Pennsylvania Proprietaries with the Indians opened up the Loyalhannah Valley for settlement for pioneers, many of whom were of German and Scotch-Irish descent. Christopher Saxman in 1764, and Frederick Pershing in 1769 were the first recorded settlers in the area of present-day Youngstown. As a community and village grew, it was often called Martinsburg, after Martin West, another nearby land owner. Located along the Forbes road, a military road built under the command of Brigadier General John Forbes in 1758, the town became an important rest stop along the east-west route that eventually stretched from Philadelphiamarker to Pittsburghmarker. In 1794, Federal troops passed through and quartered at the town's Barrett Hotel on the way to quell the Whiskey Insurrection.

Until 1796, Youngstown, often referred to as Martinsburg, had been randomly settled, with various people making claims to the land. The first recorded transaction of land came on March 31, 1796, when Robery Dickey received a warrant from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for a 250 acre tract of land known as "Hermitage". John Mooore, a surveyor, pursuant to the warrant, issued a survey showing 251 acres of land. Robert Dickey conveyed Hermitage to Joseph Baldridge by deed dated February 18, 1797. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, through the offices of Governor Thomas Mifflin, issued a patent to Joseph Buldridge for the tract of land known as Hermitage on April 1, 1797.

Joseph Baldridge, another settler that built a mill in the area, was conveyed a deed for a tract of land known as "Hermitage" in 1797. Lots on the land began to be sold in 1800. Alexander Young recorded the lots sold in 1815, and after a dispute between the names Martinsburg and Youngstown, the town received its name on April 3 1816. General Arthur St. Clair, who had retired near Youngstown, died near his home there, “Hermitage”, in 1818. The Greensburg-Stoystown Turnpike was constructed along the old Forbes road in 1819, leading to more traffic and prosperity for the borough, which was now the largest town and served as a market place, with taverns, blacksmiths, wagon makers, harness shops and a variety of other merchants, and a post office for the region. The community continued to grow and on April 2, 1831, the citizens formally formed the borough as a political government. J. G. Karns was the first Burgess of Youngstown.

The Pennsylvania Railroad introduced train service through neighboring Latrobemarker in 1852, leading to a decline as merchants moved closer to the railway and the Greensburg-Stoystown Turnpike was less frequently used. As the automobile became popular, the turnpike became the Lincoln Highway which brought traffic through Youngstown. U.S. Route 30, constructed in the 1930s, bypassed Youngstown, leading it to become a quiet residential community. The Kingston House, a center for trade and commerce and hotel dating from 1800, was listed in the National Register of Historical Places on June 30 1983.

Timeline Of Youngstown History

1758 Forbes Road was completed

1769 Pennsylvania Government Land Office opened

1794 Whiskey insurrection - Troops were quartered at the Barrett Hotel

1799-1800 Youngstown Borough laid out

1819 Greensburgh-Stoystown Turnpike completed

1831 Youngstown incorporated by Act of Assembly

1852 Completion of the Pennsylvania Railroad through Latrobe

1861 Youngstown was re-enlistment center for the Civil War

November 9, 1909 Council voted to enter into contract with West Penn Electric Company for placing and maintaining four arc lights on the main street of town.

October, 1916 Council ordered the borough weigh scales removed from Main Street.

March 6, 1918 Council adopted the contract of the State Highway Department for street paving.

Geography

Youngstown is located at (40.280956, -79.365529) .

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.1 square miles (0.3 km²), all of it land.

Adjacent to Youngstown lie Solomon's Temple Ridge and Sugarbush Ridge, sometimes known collectively as Youngstown Ridge.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 400 people, 177 households, and 98 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,909.7 people per square mile (1,544.4/km²). There were 189 housing units at an average density of 1,847.3/sq mi (729.7/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 99.50% White and 0.50% Native American. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.25% of the population.

There were 177 households out of which 24.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.7% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.6% were non-families. 37.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 3.04.

In the borough the population was spread out with 21.5% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 85.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.0 males.

The median income for a household in the borough was $31,029, and the median income for a family was $34,167. Males had a median income of $26,964 versus $22,188 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $14,677. About 16.1% of families and 20.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.5% of those under age 18 and 25.0% of those age 65 or over.

References

  • Moranelli, Mandi L. (July 27 2000). "Town Marks 200th". Latrobe Bulletin.
  • "A History of Youngstown Westmoreland County Pennsylvania" published 1975 by the Youngstown Historical Committee


External links


Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message