The Full Wiki

More info on Zikrin

Zikrin: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Zikrin was a Palestinian Arab village in the District of Hebron, depopulated in the 1948 Palestine War.

History

The village was called Kefar Dikrina in Roman times.

In 1596, Zikrin was part of the Ottoman Empire, nahiya (subdistrict) of Gazamarker under the liwa' (district) of Gazamarker with a population of 220. It paid taxes on a number of products, including wheat, barley, sesame and fruits, and on vineyards.

In the late 19th century, the village was described as being built of stone, surrounded by gardens. It was had "numerous" wells below it..

The modern village had an elementary school, and a number of small shops. The villagers, who were Muslim, worked in agriculture and animal husbandry. In 1944/45 of village land was planted with cereals, while trees, shrubs, and wild grass grew on the south and southeast sides and serves as pastures.

1948, and aftermath

On 6 August 1948, in the middle of an official truce, two squads from the 53rd Battalion of the Givati Brigade raided Zikrin, lobbing grenades and torching three or four houses. About 10 adult males, two children and one women were killed in the village, according to IDF sources. The last three were killed "accidentally", according to the report, while IDF suffered one soldier "slightly injured."

Zikrin was finally depopulated on 22-23 October 1948 during the Third stage of Operation Yoav under the command of Yigal Allon. According to Morris, most of the villagers fled before the troops arrived, those who remained were expelled eastwards. According to Morris, Yigal Allon was so successful in completely driving out the local population during Operation Yo'av, that the villagers found it almost impossible to "reinfiltrate" to their old villages, as there was no longer any local Arab population to help them resettle. During a military "sweep" of the villages in early 1949, they found most villages empty. In Zikrin it is reported that the troops found "two Arabs" who "managed to escape."

Presently, there are no settlements on village land. The kibbutz, Beit Nirmarker, is about 3 km south of the village site.

The Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi described the village site in 1992 as being overgrown with tall weeds, scrub, and other wild vegetation, containing a number of olive and carob trees. Truncated stone terraces, partially overgrown with cactuses, further marked the site. Some of the surrounding lands was cultivated by Israeli farmers for wheat. and the rest used as rangeland.

References

Bibliography



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message